Setting Up A Router To Use With A Tot Modem

KunMatt

I am using a TP W8901G Modem Router on TOT.

I also have a TP-Link WR542G wifi router.

I am subscribed to a UK VPN and can access it using OpenVPN software on a PC. What I would like to do is setup the wifi router so that all connections made through that use the VPN. All connections made to the modem use TOT.

The problem I have at the moment is that I can not get the wifi router to connect properly to the modem. I'm connected from the single RJ45 connector on the modem to the WAN connection on the router, the WAN light is constantly lit when connected.

In the WAN setup page I have to enter the "Host name" but I don't know what it is and nor did the girl on the helpline. Before when I used this wifi router on True internet the Host name was "TRUE". The router keeps attempting to obtain network parameters but all fields stay at 0.0.0.0.

So even at this stage I cannot get the internet working on the wifi router. After that I am anticipating more problems configuring the VPN in the router, but for now can anyone give me some advice?

You could do what I did with a non-working TOT connection - we packed up the modem and took it into the TOT shop where we had ordered the service originally. They were kind enough to fix it for us - no charge.

You could do what I did with a non-working TOT connection - we packed up the modem and took it into the TOT shop where we had ordered the service originally. They were kind enough to fix it for us - no charge.

Thanks, but that had absolutely nothing to do with my original post.

As anticipated, I did have a problem setting up the router to talk to the VPN through the TOT modem, I'm not sure if the modem is blocking the logon details or if the issue is with the encryption on my router, but my router says "connecting" (to the VPN) and then it all suddenly disconnects and I lose the WAN from the modem too.

If anyone has had any success establishing comms with a VPN through a TOT modem I would appreciate any info on how you did it.

TIA.

OK, just from guessing the Host name is "tothome".

Actually I think with TOT the host name is blank.

Yeah, I've done a U turn on that subject too. Turns out that I just needed to use a different IP address; my modem (gateway) is 192.168.1.1 so my router could not be on the x.x.1.x range, I changed it to x.x.10.1 and the WAN worked, I think I changed the Host name to tothome while it was obtaining the parameters and put the success down to the Host name change, when in fast it was the previous IP change.

I put my modem in bridge mode and then the router handles all the routing as it should. You will have to look in to how to do this for your modem but tot support walked me through it on the phone many years ago.