In Wall Piping For Lpg To The Kitchen?

beechstreet

I would like to run a gas line within the wall from the ground floor to our kitchen on the second floor. Any suggestions on the safest, simplest way to get that done?

We are planning on having a fairly large western style range installed and I would really like to keep the large gas bottle on the ground floor for easy access by the gas dude. I think I've seen the black steel pipe that is the standard in the US but I lack confidence in finding someone who can safely install it. I'd really like to find one of those flexible stainless steel installation kits that Home Depot has in the states...http://www.tru-flex....ppliancekit.php. The simplicity is nice; 25 feet, only two connections, around 90USD.

Any thoughts on my best options?

Edited by beechstreet

I would not put such gas line inside a wall where a leak could enter building - decades ago I did run on outside of home to second story gas water heater using copper coil pipe as airconditioner shops have. They do have the smaller gas bottles if you have a balcony you could put it on - getting a refill is just a fast call in cities here.

I would run copper clipped to the outside of the wall, you really don't want leaks into the cavity. Once painted the same colour you won't notice it after a while.

Copper tube and fittings from your friendly aircon shop, adaptors for flex tube at each end from the LPG bottle shop.

if you want them hidden chase them into the wall as i said cover with protection from errosion never place in a cavity, but thai houses dont have a cavity so not an issue. Gas pipes in the uk are run in walls and under floor slabs so no problems you should use steel ideally as is hidden any joints must be exposed as they are the only place likely to leak

What is done in the UK has little to do with Thailand where this is not done and LPG will fall to lowest level. Cement walls do have cracks (and termites will make more) so a leak in a wall could be a real danger. Indeed many foreigners are building double walls with cavity here. I would not cover LPG gas lines or place in cavities. I am no expert but to me it makes no sense and could be a real danger

I have centrally located mechanical chases in my light gauge steel framed walls and am planning on running the line in there. I agree with the consensus that leaks in a wall cavity are a bad thing and since I don't want to buy the equipment to pressure test I think a singular, jointless run is the idea solution. A long run of flexible (the standard reinforced vinyl stuff) inside rigid metal conduit is actually a pretty good option.

What is done in the UK has little to do with Thailand where this is not done and LPG will fall to lowest level. Cement walls do have cracks (and termites will make more) so a leak in a wall could be a real danger. Indeed many foreigners are building double walls with cavity here. I would not cover LPG gas lines or place in cavities. I am no expert but to me it makes no sense and could be a real danger

steel pipe will not crack and will not suffer termite damage pipe buried in a wall is not a danger

i worked in gas and oil domestic and commercial in the uk i would have no worries about chasing in a steel or copper pipe to run gas.

Also using one of the new regulators will help in the event of a big leak

Edited by dazk

I have centrally located mechanical chases in my light gauge steel framed walls and am planning on running the line in there. I agree with the consensus that leaks in a wall cavity are a bad thing and since I don't want to buy the equipment to pressure test I think a singular, jointless run is the idea solution. A long run of flexible (the standard reinforced vinyl stuff) inside rigid metal conduit is actually a pretty good option.

would advise against the flexible plastic/vinyl stuff as may be susceptible to termite damage would go for soft copper same as they use in aircon 1/2 inch should be big enough on a 3 - 4 meter run, wrap in denso tape for protection from erosion only danger is mechanical damage ie putting a nail in the wall at a later date no need to have any joints as comes on the roll, and as crossy has suggested transition to plastic flexi pipe either end, test your connections for leaks with a bit of soap and water solution wiped around a joint it will bubble up if gas is leaking

pm me if you would like any more advise on this subject

Edited by dazk

• 3 months later...

Has the original poster found a working solution to his problem? I am thinking of doing the same thing except that my kitchen is on the ground floor and the LPG bottle will be placed on the backyard so I just need a short length of pipe to go through a single wall.

I like the idea of attaching adaptors for flex tubes to both ends of a copper tube. I did ask my Thai colleagues where to source the materials required for it or and even better where to have the whole thing made for me, but what I got back in reply was "Why don't you just put the bottle inside the house?"

I would appreciate any tips and pointers on where/how to have such a "in-wall piping solution" purchased/custom-made. Thank you very much in advance.

I like the idea of attaching adaptors for flex tubes to both ends of a copper tube. I did ask my Thai colleagues where to source the materials required for it or and even better where to have the whole thing made for me, but what I got back in reply was "Why don't you just put the bottle inside the house?"

We have a similar arrangement, bottle on the other side of a single wall from the hob. I hate to admit it, but we just have a length of the pukka orange rubber gas tube through the hole, the copper tube solution I wanted was filed as 'too hard' :(

• Like 1

Actually the heavy orange rubber tube is quite sturdy (at least for a decade or so) and use for our gas in outside kitchen - did have to redo at connector as outer layer cracked, and then inner black, but that was after many years of service. As outside only loss was some gas.

Has the original poster found a working solution to his problem? I am thinking of doing the same thing except that...a short length of pipe to go through a single wall.

There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread but I decided to go ahead with the "Proflex" system because of the length of my run and the number of twists and turns from where I would like to store my gas bottle. I like the idea that the stainless steel line is a bit more rugged and that there are only 2 connections, none of them inside the walls.

If I were just going through the wall I would drill a big hole, install a PVC sleeve and run the clear standard tubing through. This is how the house that I was renting at a local moo baan was done, so it seemed pretty thai-normal.

Thank you all for your useful suggestions and tips!

I used the orange tubing with double hose clamps at each end...had one problem of it being eaten by rats somehow in the downstairs ceiling....installed a ss joiner tube..seems okay.

Being somewhat paranoid ...also installed an inverted plastic shower drain in the downstairs gyproc ceiling (open to the air) right below a 10cm drain hole on the concrete floor under the hob.