Paying A Dowry?

erco

When a large dowry is paid to a fairly well off family, ie, the family don't need the money but don't return it either, has anyone heard of the family ever giving the money to a charity?

Would be a nice thought.  :o

Mostly the money is given to the bride and groom.

Mostly, but not always doc.

I know a chap who paid a lot of dowry and none of it was given back, as far as he knows. And her family are meant to be well off too.

Thing is, he borrowed the money from a bank in the first place. :D

The money (dowry) HAS to be given back to you and your wife.

If it is not the case, something is basically wrong.

I do not say that "poor" people in Thailand do not want to take money from you, but it has to be with you agreeing about it,...

If not, you are being cheated, another one,... (sorry to be so harsh).

Cheers

My thoughts.

Thai people will NEVER invest money for their children if they have no money.

They are three possibilities:

- Family is rich and they do not care about money, whatever the farang make is very little compared to them and they will have 0 problem giving you more money than whatever dowry you would have paid.

- Family is poor but honest and whatever you give them will come back to you because they are more interested by the well-being of their daughter that by the money

- Family is poor and cares ONLY about what the stupid farang can give and "investment" is just bullshit.

I can not judge since I do not know the whole story but whatever it is, you and you friend have to remember one basic principle, money is still what makes the world go round and Thailand is not different,...

Maybe you should tell them you are thinking of making some investments yourself and since you "trust their judgement" perhaps they could tell you where they invested the money so you could do the same. Their reaction should enlighten you to the situation better. You would come off as the respectful son-in-law who looked up to them, and if they did indeed invest the money would not likely have a problem telling you where. If they didn't, and they are well off with good money in the bank then they may just have to quickly invest it to save face (we all know how important this is).

Sometimes I think it's best to use Thai culture creatively than try to fight it. :o

Oh, if you do try this, it works, and you have no money to invest, you might be screwed too.... :D

Good luck

cv