Question About Train To Chiang Mai From Bangkok

Cold Mountain

Hi all

I am arriving in Bangkok (Don Muang airport) on Jan 26th. The flight is scheduled to arrive around 9 PM. I would like to get to Chiang Mai ASAP. I was thinking I wanted to take the train to Chiang Mai but the last train for the day departs at around 10 PM from the research I have done online. Now I am not sure if I will be able to make this train since the flight might be delayed or I might be delayed at immigration etc. So I suppose my best option is to find a hotel close to Don Muang and crash for the night and then take a train next morning? I really do not want to make a trip to Bangkok center if possible - but I will do so if necessary. What do you recommend?

Also, I haven't prebooked any train ticket to Chiang Mai yet. Would that be a problem?

Thanks!

Actually, trains to Chiang Mai pass thru the Don Muang airport railway station across the road...I'm not 100% sure if they actually stop there or not (I seem to remember that they do, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can provide that info), but you would be able to buy a ticket at the station and the timing is pretty good, I reckon it would be passing by the airport at 10:20-10:30...

What you could do is just cross the road and check out the station - if you can get on all is well, if not, just book yourself into the Amari Airport for the night.

What you could do is just cross the road and check out the station - if you can get on all is well, if not, just book yourself into the Amari Airport for the night.

Just a wild guess on my part but something tells me that if Cold Mountain misses the last train north as it passes thru Don Muang station at 22:18, they won't be happy forking over 6000 to 8000 baht for a room at the Amari Airport Hotel. :o

I was just pointing out the laziest option, no airport hotel in the world is cheap.

Nevertheless, I see no reason not to be done with immigration & baggage claim in an hour, provided the plane is not late.

i think some cheap guest house close to airport but cheaper to take bus to khao san road and stay there the night then taxi to train station net morning. you should book ticket on train to get sleeping seat.

Also, I haven't prebooked any train ticket to Chiang Mai yet. Would that be a problem?

It might be a problem if you want to get a sleeper. I'm sure you can roll up to the station and be assured of a third-class seat, but that would be an uncomfortable way to travel overnight to Chiang Mai, especially after having just flown in from abroad.

On which airline are you arriving?

I can think of a couple of options:

1. The trains do stop at Bang Sue (that's the name really! but it's pronounced baan suer) which is not too far from the airport. It's right next to a MRT Underground station by the same name.

2. From the airport, you could take a taxi to a MRT Subway station. I think Chatujak is the closest one to Don Muang.

From there, take the subway to the end of the line to Hualampong - approx 30mins. That's where the train station is.

If you can't get a suitable seat/bunk to Chiang Mai that night, there are a few cheap hotels by the station and around Chinatown.

Get some nice food in and soak in the unique atmosphere of the area before you do get your train.

'Hope this helps! Good luck!

All trains to the North and NorthEast stop at Don Muang Station, which is just a walk across the overhead access to the Amari Airport Hotel. There is no reason to go to Hua Lumpong Station unless he has to pick up tickets from a tour company that only delivers there. The subway would take you completely around the city. If you really wanted to get to Hua Lumpong the most direct method would be a train from Don Muang or if time a factor taxi direct.

Bang Sue Junction is also not a good idea for first time travelers as there are two different stations there and if you wait in the wrong one you do not get your train.

There is some chance tickets would be available on the 26th as it is a weeknight and with discount airlines train travel is probably not as in demand as in years past.

I quite like trains and the Missus wants to go to Chiang-Mai I have not been for many years - it sounds like the train will be my the preffered option.

Just a couple of questions:-

1) I presume that Train will have food available onboard?!

2) How long does the journey from BKK take? 12 hours?

Cheers

Hi all

I am arriving in Bangkok (Don Muang airport) on Jan 26th. The flight is scheduled to arrive around 9 PM. I would like to get to Chiang Mai ASAP. I was thinking I wanted to take the train to Chiang Mai but the last train for the day departs at around 10 PM from the research I have done online. Now I am not sure if I will be able to make this train since the flight might be delayed or I might be delayed at immigration etc. So I suppose my best option is to find a hotel close to Don Muang and crash for the night and then take a train next morning? I really do not want to make a trip to Bangkok center if possible - but I will do so if necessary. What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Another suggestion just in case you decide to leave for Chiangmai the following day.

There is an AIRPORT BUS that goes to several areas of Bangkok, the price for this ride is 100 baht. I would recommend that you get a cheap hotel in the Siam or Sukhumvit area of Bangkok, the Airport Bus route runs down this area. You will be on a bus with other tourists going into town, sometimes you can get a good recommendation for a hotel from one of the passengers. After flying thousands of miles and many hours - Chiangmai will still be there a day later!

If you stay in the Sukhumvit or Siam area you can take advantage of the Skytrain rapid transit service. There is a stop at Asok which can connect you to the subway. The subway stops at the main train station where you can leave for Chiangmai.

Staying downtown would save you enough money over the expensive airport hotel price to pay for a room, pay for the transportation, pay for dinner and probably save enough to pay for the train ride. You can get okay/decent hotels in the 750 baht to 1400 baht range that have A/C, TV, HW, private toilet/shower and security box storage for valuables. You could buy your "sleeper car" train ticket in the morning and leave that evening. Or pack up your stuff at the hotel and take the day train. Feel free to ask for any hotel recommendations for Bangkok or Chiangmai - you must mention your per night price range though.

Wouldn't you want to take a little time off to TAKE A SHOWER, eat something, catch up on your sleep or even walk around Bangkok a little since the streets are full of tourists way up to after 1 in the morning. Some hotels will even store any winter clothing or stuff you won't need in Chiangmai. Of course that hotel would expect you to return and book another night with them. On your return home I would spend your last night in Thailand in Bangkok too.

Don't forget to get some small bills when you change your money at the airport. Don't expect taxi cabs or small shops to have change for 1000 baht or 500 baht notes. If you take a taxi in the city only pay the meter fare, it will be cheaper. I quickly clear customs and immigration at BKK pretty fast - most of the time! Occasionally there ARE delays, for whatever reason.

AL

So I suppose my best option is to find a hotel close to Don Muang and crash for the night and then take a train next morning?

I would suggest spending the night. I've stayed at the Asia Airport hotel many times. It is reasonably priced in the range of about 1600 ThB. Check at all the counters in the arrival area as they will typically offer different prices.

I've picked up the train at Don Muang station before, but only going to Taphan Hin and not all the way to CM. All I can suggest is make sure you get the sprinter.

Unless you have your heart set on the train, you may want to consider a regional flight on Thai Airways to CM. It's more costly but a lot faster.