Making Good Natural Yoghurt

tim armstrong

As I don't get to Bangkok or a larger city very often, its hard to find GOOD natural yoghurt. My past attempts at making it have only been just OK. Does anyone have a method that makes a yoghurt that is a bit thicker and creamy. Sensible replies much appreciated.

I have been making greek style yoghurt for quite some time. Youtube is your friend. Yes for thick greek style you need some fatty milk. I buy whole milk and add some whipping cream. I am extremely lazy in my old age. I bought a yoghurt maker from Verasu and instead of using the small cups that come with it, so happens that I have a glass bowl that holds a half gallon or so. Add your starter, put it into the heater, leave on overnight and....no you aren't done yet. Then simply let the whey/ water drain out through cheesecloth in the fridge overnight. Mine is usually so thick I need to add some of the drippings back into it.... or just buy a food thermometer ( not to be confused with an anal thermometer) and learn from you tube

Thanks guys for the advice. I was recently in Bangkok and bought some Yolida yoghurt from Villa. Its not bad, but should have got the Australian Greek style stuff. However, I will take your advice and do the You Tube search. The whipping cream sounds like a good idea, but it sort of kills the idea of a healthy yoghurt. I guess that's the trade off - thick, creamy and fat or not so thick but healthy. Thanks again.