Vapor Inhalers Use In Thailand

aneliane

Could someone explain me why each Thai person has a Vapor Inhaler (VICKS type thing) on him/her and take out to breath through when in polluted/toxic/smelly air situation ?

I mean these stuffs are eucalyptus based and act like bronco-dilators right ?

Using them to cover some type of smell is going to open their respiratory system and on a sane individual, making the opening of respiratory system bigger for the toxic air, to reach fragile parts of lungs/arteries/alveoli sacs.

Or did I miss something ?

Edited by aneliane

Could someone explain me why each Thai person has a Vapor Inhaler (VICKS type thing) on him/her and take out to breath through when in polluted/toxic/smelly air situation ?

Using them to cover some type of smell is going to open their respiratory system and on a sane individual, making the opening of respiratory system bigger for the toxic air, to reach fragile parts of lungs/arteries/alveoli sacs.

My Thai wife "offer" one of those inhaler to me and now I do same same every day LOL But I am afraid it is not only for polution nor for colds like in europe where it's used in winter mainly. On the litle tube one can read "relief of vertigo" And the main ingredient is not eucalyptus but menthol...Maybe you could have a try :-)

My Thai wife "offer" one of those inhaler to me and now I do same same every day LOL But I am afraid it is not only for polution nor for colds like in europe where it's used in winter mainly. On the litle tube one can read "relief of vertigo" And the main ingredient is not eucalyptus but menthol...Maybe you could have a try :-)

Menthol is made from Peppermint which is the other bronchodilater with eucalyptus... in other words same same

So they used it to help vertigo ???

Like people sitting in a bus/train/songtaew are experiencing vertigo?

• Like 1

Menthol and eucalyptus ARE NOT bronchodilators.

They are aromatic decongestants which relieve stuffiness in the nose and help make breathing easier. They also have a soothing effect on the throat and help reduce irritation.

Clearly there use in polluted areas is quite justified and does not represent an increased risk in the way you describe.

I use them because Bangkok is stinky. Seriously, if you haven't tried it, you should. I have probably 5 or 6 scattered in my truck and my backpack.

I use them when I have a cold that's why they're made for

If you covering smells with a broncho dilater you are damaging your respiratory system.

When I am in smelly situation I use other essential oils.

Maybe the obsession with the respiratory system is just a national trait, like the traditional Brit obsession with their bowels, the French with their liver, the Germans with their 'Kreislauf', and so on.

Since visiting and living in Thailand I have always been intrigued by the market penetration of that little lozenge from Grimsby - wherever you go in Thailand you can suck a Fisherman's Friend.

• Like 1

I use them because Bangkok is stinky. Seriously, if you haven't tried it, you should. I have probably 5 or 6 scattered in my truck and my backpack.

I use them when I have a cold that's why they're made foreucalyptus

If you covering smells with a broncho dilater you are damaging your respiratory system.

When I am in smelly situation I use other essential oils.

But they are not broncho dilaters. Eucalyptus is a decongestant in that it breaks down mucus and widens airways slightly but does not affect the bronchial tracts that much. However, it is a natural antibiotic as well which when breathed in in vapouur form kills nasty bugs in your airways and lungs. So on the basis that I have hardly ever seen a Thai with a real common cold (heard about lots of fake ones when they want a day off) they might be onto something....

• 10 months later...

Straight from my Thai wife, it's for stinky people and places when you can't escape them. Stuck on a 95°F bus w/some clueless foreigner who's never heard of deodorant? Pull out your inhaler.

Maybe the obsession with the respiratory system is just a national trait, like the traditional Brit obsession with their bowels, the French with their liver, the Germans with their 'Kreislauf', and so on.

Since visiting and living in Thailand I have always been intrigued by the market penetration of that little lozenge from Grimsby - wherever you go in Thailand you can suck a Fisherman's Friend.

Grimsby?

That is Fleetwood near Blackpool they originate from I do believe.

:D

Grimsby?

That is Fleetwood near Blackpool they originate from I do believe.

biggrin.png

Correct, I remember walking past it, and it was closed. That post did make me google Grimsby though. However the results page monged out, so I am non the wiser.

• Like 1

cool.png These inhalers were very popular when I first came to Thailand 13 years ago. They seem to not be used that much anymore.

One of the many little quirky things about Thailand,

LL

or even a fisherman