Six Tourists Among 10 Dead In Surat Thani VIP Bus Accident

webfact

I wonder anyone know how many accident this company has had, let say last 5 years?

Every day they have ~400 bus leaving from BKK and same 400 coming back. That is 24 000 bus in one month only this company and how many accidents they have?

I say safe enough for me to take bus from this company next time I need to go somewhere.

Many people say it is not safe to take bus in Thailand, do you have any statistic how many accidents there has been? Like to see those. Accidents happen but how many really in one year and is that number so big when you compare routes and buses everyday?

I mean is Thailand so much different from other countries if you check like that?

I can't recall hearing of any accidents from the 999 bus out of Phangan before this.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder anyone know how many accident this company has had, let say last 5 years?

Every day they have ~400 bus leaving from BKK and same 400 coming back. That is 24 000 bus in one month only this company and how many accidents they have?

I say safe enough for me to take bus from this company next time I need to go somewhere.

Many people say it is not safe to take bus in Thailand, do you have any statistic how many accidents there has been? Like to see those. Accidents happen but how many really in one year and is that number so big when you compare routes and buses everyday?

I mean is Thailand so much different from other countries if you check like that?

I can't recall hearing of any accidents from the 999 bus out of Phangan before this.

How many accidents there have been is irrelevent. To answer your question; it is completely different in the west.

1) Bus operators are trained and routinely assessed and tested for drugs/alcohol.

2) Any driver who was breaking rules of the road would be prosecuted under harsh penalties and have his license revoked.

3) A bus operator who fled the scene of an accident would be prosecuted under harsh penalties.

4) The bus company would be held responsible for the operators actions and would be liable under criminal law and impending civil law suits

5) The investigators would thouroughly check the condition and maintainence of the vehicle and the bus company would be held responsible for any violations under harsh penalties.

Does that answer your question?

Edited by Kilgore Trout

No, I was asking how many accidents this big Transport Co has had.

How do You know these big buscompanies (transport, phetprasert, nachonair, sombat etc) doesn't kick bad drivers out?

How many drivers You know from these companies had fled the scene after accident?

Do You know their maintenance routine and how it is superviced, I don't.

But I have seen time to time in Nakhon Sawan busstation where I go every week, that there is policetable where every driver has to go for breath analyzer, show driving license and then of You go. Every driver, even from Nakhon Sawan - Lat Yao ~50km route.

Yes, even 1 accident is too much but these happen everywhere. And in my opinion, these doesn't happen so dramatical often in Thailand

No, I was asking how many accidents this big Transport Co has had.

How do You know these big buscompanies (transport, phetprasert, nachonair, sombat etc) doesn't kick bad drivers out?

How many drivers You know from these companies had fled the scene after accident?

Do You know their maintenance routine and how it is superviced, I don't.

But I have seen time to time in Nakhon Sawan busstation where I go every week, that there is policetable where every driver has to go for breath analyzer, show driving license and then of You go. Every driver, even from Nakhon Sawan - Lat Yao ~50km route.

Yes, even 1 accident is too much but these happen everywhere. And in my opinion, these doesn't happen so dramatical often in Thailand

cheesy.gif

Really, kick bad drivers out, how many have fled the scene, really?

Are we living in the same country?

i am sorry but you are simply wrong in your advice to others. Not all bus companies are the same.

I have travelled many many times with one bus company that has an unblemished record

On all the occasions i have been on NCA i have never seen their drivers speeding.

with respect, i'm not 'wrong'. and you're citing only one bus company which seems to be the exception rather than the rule in thailand. what NCA does should be the norm and all companies should be regulated to ensure a decent quality of service and engender trust. they're simply not, which makes getting on an long distance, particularly overnight, bus in thailand a risky exercise.

• Like 1

I personally don’t need statistic. Once the bus driver was one of the motorbike drivers speeding out in the soi, now he is driving a bus. Anyone taken driving license here knows what education he has got in the meantime.

Is Thailand so much different from other countries... Actually yes.. it is..

Where ever you are in Thailand.. its a known fact its dangerous on the roads.. even trying to cross them..

if in doubt.. give it a try..

cheesy.gif

Really, kick bad drivers out, how many have fled the scene, really?

Are we living in the same country?

Maybe smile.png

I'm still talking about these big companies and they are safe in my opinion. Others I don't use.

Hopefully there are bus companies here that are responsible; unfortunately there are so many bad examples (and personal experiences from so many people) of horrific accidents that could easily have been prevented that they are overshadowed.

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I'm after some advice from anyone who may have dealt with a similar experience or who may be knowledgeable in these matters. Basically I was one of the foreign injured passengers in this accident. I was left with an injury which put me in hospital for a month. I have since returned to my home country to complete the recovery process which could take at least another two months (I sustained a fractured leg)

The insurace company of the bus company covered all my medical costs while in Thailand. I have since been trying to negotiate a settlement for loss of earnings, future medical costs, pain and suffering, but with no luck.

My questions are -

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? What steps did you take?

Am I stupid to expect a pay out for the above things in Thailand?

I contacted a lawyer off the internet and their fees were 250 000 baht + up to 33% of the compensation. Is that right?

Would appreciate any advice and if anyone could recommend a good lawyer via PM that would we a big help.

Cheers.

but a bus has to consider the load/weight to find the right pressure...?

Not true normal Tyre pressure is about 120 psi for a large vehicle. laden or unladen.

I have been all over Thailand on Buses some good some bad, I use VIP buses through the night. up to now i have never had any worry's.