Shipping Stuff To Thailand, Pickup Or Door To Door?

edwinchester

Hi I have a friend who will be staying in Thailand for at least a year soon.

He wants to ship some things, about 7 large boxes.

Is it better door to door or pickup ourselves in Bangkok?

The shipping quote is quote alot cheaper if he picks up in BKK but I am wary of him being stung for extra "tax" when they see a white face.

Any input appreciated, thanks Ed.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

TBH, its all a bit of a lottery, in spite of what you read on places such as this, or indeed the customs and excise site.

I know of cases where people have sent their stuff over using their Thai wifes right to have a certain amount of stuff shipped over duty free, only to have hassle at the Thai end with duty being levied, followed by the usual bartering to get the price down to a level that was acceptable.

Other cases, similar to your friends situation, with a few boxes sent, with no problems or extra monies being paid

A true case of TIT if ever there was one. Ya pays yer money and ya takes ya chance, as the saying goes

Penkoprod

A lot depends on the destination and what is in the boxes.

Generally speaking shipping within Thailand is not too bad. But if 7 boxes will not fit in a pickup how to get them to the shipping company office?

Most intl.shipping companies have a either an office or an affiliate in Thailand who will look after the shipping and handling and have a customs broker who they use.

Fees for customs are usually also not that bad if you use an intl. shipping company. All they do is ride a motorbike to the customs dept.

I have had friends who shipped some boxes of books here. No drama.