70+ Couple Want To Holiday In Pattaya. Would Like Some Advice.

Star,

May I suggest you remove them from the dirt and filth of Pattaya and think more towards Jomtien - a clean and family beach area.

Depending on the length of your stay or size of your party a larger long term rental could suffice as accomodations while there.

-OR- If you require the daily easily accessible breakfast at a proper hotel there are many in the area to choose from along the beach.

Contact Angel Heart Realty (they have a website) - a scandinavian man named Morten is quite helpful fellow and can find whatever accomodations you expect. There are also multitudes of hotels and resorts right on the beach.

Have you been reading the news of the rash of violent crime in Phuket and Pattaya ? - I would stay away from those god-forsaken areas at all costs.

These are desperate times in Thailand - the reduction of tourism over the last few years has cut into the pockets of many peoiple and desperation has set in - keep those family members close during their visit.

Take care of those OZ ranchers in Thailand - my family are ranchers from OZ as well - I know how they are - an open book with people when they travel and vert talkative - they are lambs to slaughter for scammers in Thailand - keep them close at hand.

If i was you sweetie i would stay home and do your knitting ,

23 years and i have never felt threatened ,

as for the op your mum would be bored rigid in hua hin ,Chiang mi is nice for a short holiday ,but she seems the sort that would love Patters (unfortunatly your dad might like it to much)biggrin.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three buddies of similar age to me whose parents came for holidays years and years ago and have now chosen to retire in Pattaya. They either have condo's on Jomtien or a house in a gated community over on the 'Darkside'. They have loads of friends they share mutual interests with and there's enough of a social scene for the passive interest as well as for the ones that want to take a more active role in Pattaya's growing retirement community. They are Canadian, British and German but the thing they have in common apart from enjoying their 'Golden Years' in Pattaya/Jomtien/Huayai is an open mind.

• Like 1

Heres some objective advice, I'm assuming the olds are fairly conservative, go for the centara away from all the sex pests, the town can be visited as a novelty to see the highest concentration of sex pests in your life in one area, ( amazing how I have never seen such a large proportion of single men past middle aged to geriatric in any other country - well cambodia I spose, but you know what i mean).

That way all the fun of the sea side, with nice bit of distancing from the sex pests and flotsam.

Otherwise yeah, hua hin, or some of the islands, goh kod, samui ngauan yang etc.

Heres some objective advice, I'm assuming the olds are fairly conservative, go for the centara away from all the sex pests, the town can be visited as a novelty to see the highest concentration of sex pests in your life in one area, ( amazing how I have never seen such a large proportion of single men past middle aged to geriatric in any other country - well cambodia I spose, but you know what i mean).

That way all the fun of the sea side, with nice bit of distancing from the sex pests and flotsam.

Otherwise yeah, hua hin, or some of the islands, goh kod, samui ngauan yang etc.

Ok, so while you were in Pattaya, you were NOT a sex pest, while everyone else is?whistling.gif

Ok, so while you were in Pattaya, you were NOT a sex pest, while everyone else is?whistling.gif

What do you call the single guys who wear black polyester pants, tennis shoes and white really cheap smelly short sleeve dress shirts?

What do you call the single guys who wear black polyester pants, tennis shoes and white really cheap smelly short sleeve dress shirts?

I was going to say GKcheesy.gif , (sorry GK, :) )

What?

where do you walk around? i never heard "handsome man"

"sexy man"-yes

"blue shirt"-yes

"white shirt"-yes

"red boxer" yes

"handsome man"-never

You must be really, really ugly. No offence intended.

"sexy man"-yes

"blue shirt"-yes

"white shirt"-yes

"red boxer" yes

"handsome man"-never

Its not the looks but the heart that matters. Have you never had a conversation with a female calling you handsome?rolleyes.gif

Or did you actually believe you really are handsome?

Edited by phl

"sexy man"-yes

"blue shirt"-yes

"white shirt"-yes

"red boxer" yes

"handsome man"-never

Its not the looks but the heart that matters. Have you never had a conversation with a female calling you handsome?rolleyes.gif

I find people, men and women alike, can't hold back the compliments, no matter how hard they try!

"sexy man"-yes

"blue shirt"-yes

"white shirt"-yes

"red boxer" yes

"handsome man"-never

I find people, men and women alike, can't hold back the compliments, no matter how hard they try!

huh?blink.png

I know that a lot of people like to slam Pattaya (and sometimes they are justified) but it is a place where you can easily enjoy Thai food, western food, the night life, daytime tourist attractions, shopping, tons of internet cafes, movies in English and cheap transportation around town. If you want to see or experience the night life it is easy, just as it is easy to hangout and then go to your room alone.

I hope the 70 year-olds have a great time.

I know that a lot of people like to slam Pattaya (and sometimes they are justified) but it is a place where you can easily enjoy Thai food, western food, the night life, daytime tourist attractions, shopping, tons of internet cafes, movies in English and cheap transportation around town. If you want to see or experience the night life it is easy, just as it is easy to hangout and then go to your room alone.

They also have bed seating (laying) so you can go to sleep if you are bored during the movie, free drinks, popcorn and VIP lounge with free food while you wait for the movie to start.

@ stardancer

Is Pattaya safe for 70+ visitors? Yes, of course it is; no more dangerous than any other part of Thailand! Believe it or not, it is an actual holiday location and not just a sexpat adventure as much of the worlds media (and travel agents as you mentioned) would like us all to think. Stacks for them to do. Search for "Pattaya holiday destination" and that will give you a list of all the touristy things you can do..

Are you still living in Lopburi? If so, why don't you go to Pattaya for a weekend and see what it is like for yourself; after all you should know your parents likes and dislikes better than anyone on this forum.

Stay flexible and maybe break their holiday by taking them up to Chiang Mai for a few days as you suggested; it is not expensive by any means of travel. That would also depend on how long they were planning to visit.

Thanks chrisinth.. No I am not in Lopburi. Back in oz with wife and kid. But I have been to Pattaya years ago and found it like anywhere else so thats why I thought it would be fine for the folks, its the travel agents who put the wind up mum.

You talk only about your mum.

What about your dad? Does he have no rights to decide where to go?

Dads happy anywhere, It could be on a creek fishing, road trip to the mountains or Africa.. he is happy when mums happy. Dad pretty easy going. Mums a little different.

I brought my mom to Pattaya before, and she actually loved it. Thought it was a great place. Even took her down Walking Street, and she was fine.

She liked Chiang Mai more though, for obvious reasons. More "normal", little quieter, but still loads to do and lots of excitement to be had. If anything, I'd recommend Chiang Mai for her.

Yeah, you can. But don't bring her over in January thru April. Or you will have to take her to hospital with a bad case of Asthma !

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif agreed with this. Nothing wrong with Pattaya when you stay within well walked tracks !

Thanks to everyone who posted really appreciate it. Better then any travel agent or travel guide. I carfully read every post. I think Chiang Mai then finnish with Pattaya. Its only a 8 - 10 day holiday, Thats all they can do.

Mum will enjoy Pattaya, I had to take he for a walk down soi cowboy one night just so she could see what all the fuss was about. We had a beer in one place called "shark somthing" to this day she is still chatting to 2 young gogo dancer she spoke to in there. She feels sorry for them and loves it when they call her mum. I dont burst her bubble, I would if they asked her for money.

Thanks again, I will forward this link to mum and dad and let them make up there own mind..

Why not suggest to your mum to go Island hoping starting at Koh Samui on to Koh Phangan and then to Koh Tao and then back to Koh Samui. Phangan,Koh Tao is only a short ferry ride 45 minutes to phangan and 60 minutes to Koh Tao they are all beautiful areas and you gat a lot of aussies this way I would suggest the Hansa resort Koh Samui my nephew from Sydney stayed there ealier this year he and his mrs said it was amazing it is bang on the beach and is 100 mtrs from good bars and resteraunts. from there I would suggest she then goes to Phangan for a couple of days the area of Haad Yao some great hotels on the beach and good food after a couple of days go onto koh Tao amazing place for diving however I have never stayed over night as I just go as a day trip but I hear the place is buzzing at night time after that back to koh Samui. a trip to Angthong national marine park is a must I think they would really have a good time and if she wants the nightlife there is plenty on Samui with fantastic ladyboy shows !!!!!!! We are retired from the UK came over and never went back and that was over 6 years ago !!!!! We have friends in Melbourne who wanted to do a house swap for a month with us but it was to short notice as we had family coming out !!!post-130732-0-40496600-1341464188_thumb.post-130732-0-18009700-1341464589_thumb.post-130732-0-27414200-1341464734_thumb.post-130732-0-71243400-1341464851_thumb.post-130732-0-74814500-1341465080_thumb.

Thanks I might do this myself next trip back to Thaialnd.

More of a sight seer really, never seen such a concentration of single men, clearly past prime - or very prime in the stomach - its like a curiosity show seeing these people, in many places I would have to search hard to find such low life, here v. easy

• Like 1

More of a sight seer really, never seen such a concentration of single men, clearly past prime - or very prime in the stomach - its like a curiosity show seeing these people, in many places I would have to search hard to find such low life, here v. easy

SO you reaffirm that the city was full of single men, who were clearly past their prime,(prime defined by you) while your sexy self is not a low life, but an esteem delegate of human race, did i get all that right?

By the sound of it I think your Mum would like Pattaya.

I was in a bar one night with my gf and next to us was an older lady from the UK, enjoying her beer and the music that was playing.

We both chatted to her, she was on a 3 month visit and enjoying it.

Turns out she was over 80 years old.

Treated well and with respect.

• Like 1

Why anyone would want to go to Pattaya for a holiday is beyond me.

Its got a great nightlife for single guys or even married guys who want an adventure. But really its a hole. But thats my opinion.

Around 8 million visitors a year would disagree with you!

Yeah and what makes up the chunk of them?

- Russians (Pattaya fulty beaches are still beautiful when coming from Russia)

- Single men.

- Married men having a single man's life for a few weeks.

- People who have no idea

- People on business

Its got a great nightlife for single guys or even married guys who want an adventure. But really its a hole. But thats my opinion.

- Single men.

- People on business

Clearly yo have never ever been to Russiarolleyes.gif

PS. Do you have official stats for the rest of your drivel or do you just make it up as you go along?

Edited by phl

- Single men.

- People on business

Pattaya seemed a good option during the floods last year though for many, and guess what I talked to a few workers from Bangkok who wouldnt have visited Pattaya otherwise and they enjoyed it so much said they'd be back.

You either love, loathe, like, hate or put up with it and accept Pattaya for what it is, but IMHO it aint all bad and theres plenty of good things to see and do. Even for 70 year old ladys who enjoy a good old knees up.

Saying that I have no idea what 70 year old lady boys get upto or do, I've yet to meet one as old.:rolleyes:

Edited by MB1

- Single men.

- People on business

Nonsense. Why would you post something that you have no knowledge of? Have you ever been to Pattaya? How many Chinese? How many Thai families? Do you even have a clue?

• 8 months later...

Back again,

Its still a few months away but mum has just recently read through all the responces to this thread and enjoyed it very much. So Pattaya is on! She can't wait. She has a short list of Hotels.

1/ The Bay View

2/ Hard Rock Hotel

3/ Central Pattaya

4/ IBIS Pattaya

I have read the reviews and looked at the pic's on the web. They all look fine.

Can anyone recommend one over another. The folks do like to chat a lot around the pool and the bar, they enjoy the company of the english, kiwi's and ozzies only because all other humor goes right over her head and she can get pissed off pretty quick.

Dad wants to do some deep sea fishing, can anyone recomend a good reliable charter for him?

If anyone is interested I will put mum n dads (bob n barbs) pattaya review up after they come back.

Thanks.

I agree that other beach areas are much better than Pattaya, not so much for safety but for the impression they'll get of Thailand.

But the hills of Chiang Rai/ Chiang Mai are a must-see for me, as is Angkor Wat.

All can be done on a very reasonable budget if you don't need "star" hotels.

I was into the post 1 line and immediately thought, Hua Hin.

All the recommendations for Hua Hin are right. It is walkable, safe and has sufficient diversions including katoey shows. There are fast food joints, near the beach and accommodation is affordable. They even have a Sizzler at market village. Having spent too long in Phuket I haven't a kind word to say about Phuket or its evil stepsister Pattaya. I'm off to Udon Thani for a few days to visit a friend and Udon is worth a visit. It's dull, and safe, which is perfect for old people. There is also Krabi. It's a better behaved version of Phuket.

If you love your parents, you will not allow them to go to pattaya. Seriously, what kind of son are you to even allow them to consider Pattaya?

Pattaya may have a bit more to do than than Lopburi and the monkeys, but consider whether Sodom & Gommorrah is the impression you want her to have of Thailand and your wife. Not that the place has a reputation or anything,