PADI Divers Prepare For Phuket's Biggest Coral Reef Cleanup

webfact

PADI divers prepare for Phuket's biggest coral reef cleanup

Phuket Gazette

pa1.jpeg

Diver 'Josh' poses in front of a tangle of debris off Koh Racha Noi on July 1. PADI divers are uniting to stage Phuket's biggest coral reef cleanup. Photo: David Hall

pa2.jpeg

Prominent members of the Phuket PADI dive community are gathering under a united banner to help preserve the coral reefs around Phuket. Photo: Tony Andrews

PHUKET: -- Nine dive boats and almost 20 PADI dive shops with the guidance of PADI Project AWARE have put aside their differences and on Tuesday, at the group’s third meeting, announced the date for what they hope will be the largest coral reef cleanup in Phuket.

The project, part of the group’s start-up “Go Eco Phuket”, aims to set "cleanup records" this year as it brings hundreds of divers out to Koh Racha Yai and Koh Racha Noi on September 30.

In response to the skeptical questions of what difference coral reef cleanups really make, outside of raising public awareness and educating people of the importance of coral reefs, Michael Wallentin, a prominent member of the Phuket dive community, pointed out: “Every piece makes a difference. Maybe it only helps a fraction, but it helps.”

Tony Andrews, Thailand’s west coast PADI Project AWARE regional manager, offered to brief all members in the next meeting on properly using “Dive Against Debris Data cards”.

The information collected on the cards will be sent to marine biologists and officials based in Bangkok to present a better picture of what kind of debris is being found in the reef systems, so programs can be established to target specific issues.

Guenter Hormann, another prominent member of the dive community, made it clear that the dive companies needed to get as many people involved in the project as possible.

“We need to separate ourselves from the scum that is sometimes associated with Phuket. This is not about us making money; it’s about cleaning up the reefs and making a difference,” he said.

“It’s fundamental to the project for everyone to come together at the end of the cleanup and arrive in Phuket as a single, united group. All the boats will be flying the same flags and banners,” explained Mr Andrews.

Mr Wallentin plainly stated his goal: “Let’s make Phuket the cleanest island in Southeast Asia.”

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16346.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-05

It is frustrating to put so much effort into clean-up in a country where there is little education or concern on the subject. Baby steps. Every little bit of awareness helps. I'm sure everyone has seen the white and green "Save the Planet" T-shirts that are so popular with Thai's in Phuket. They were given away free as a part of an anti-littering/pollution awareness campaign. I see people wearing those shirts casually throwing garbage over their shoulders riding on the bake of motorbikes all the time. I will never forget the Thai dive shop secretary's comments after seeing the piles of garbage picked up off the Kata reef. "Why did you bring all that here? We threw it on the ocean so we didn't have to see it." dry.png

I am open water certified. Is there any way I can help?

Sure, you're very welcome to join in. You can contact any DC on Phuket about this, or you can also send me a PM.

Actually could you give some information publicly here. Where to contact if we wish to participate with the cleaning operation. Also what are the costs.. or what those were previous years.

Everyday I see THAI's dropping garbage on the road. I watch as riders on motorcycle taxis throw their empty bottles in the weeds. I watch as pickups pull over to vacant lots and dump their load of garbage. I see bags of food dropped by people riding motorcycles. I see flip flops and shoes on the road everywhere where they fell off a motorcycle riders foot. I drive by garbage pulled from garbage bins by soi dogs and strewn across the landscape. I walk down streets where garbage bins are almost non existent and the ones that are there are overflowing.

Nope there isn't much point in cleaning up the reefs they will be litter choked in a day or two anyway. The tourism board should be doing something about cleaning Thailand up if they really want to keep tourists coming to Thailand.

Everyday I see THAI's dropping garbage on the road. I watch as riders on motorcycle taxis throw their empty bottles in the weeds. I watch as pickups pull over to vacant lots and dump their load of garbage. I see bags of food dropped by people riding motorcycles. I see flip flops and shoes on the road everywhere where they fell off a motorcycle riders foot. I drive by garbage pulled from garbage bins by soi dogs and strewn across the landscape. I walk down streets where garbage bins are almost non existent and the ones that are there are overflowing.

Nope there isn't much point in cleaning up the reefs they will be litter choked in a day or two anyway. The tourism board should be doing something about cleaning Thailand up if they really want to keep tourists coming to Thailand.

The rubbish on the reefs is mostly coming from direction India, really can't blame the Thais for (most of) that.

Regarding information, I'll give an update later, as soon as I have the minutes from the meeting. Will probably be later today, maybe tomorrow.

To participate in this event, contact any of the PADI DC's on the island, they will be able to assist you.

In previous years there was no charge for participation in clean up events, the aim is this year to be able to offer this free of charge as well. There may be a (small) charge for rental of divegear (if required) and transport to the pier (if required).

At the moment the exact plans are not finalized yet, so if and when updates are available they will be posted here. But for the moment: anybody who wants to participate on 30 September 2012, contact a PADI divecenter to book your place.

The rubbish on the reefs is mostly coming from direction India, really can't blame the Thais for (most of) that.

Regarding information, I'll give an update later, as soon as I have the minutes from the meeting. Will probably be later today, maybe tomorrow.

gosh, how can you tell it comes from india are there name tagg's on

gosh, how can you tell it comes from india are there name tagg's on

Direction India, which as you may know it the first land mass to the West. Lots of ocean in between where lots of rubbish is dumped.

Edited by stevenl

the rubbish i see around racha does not look indian to me,sorry, but it's always easier to blame it on others.

Where did I say it was Indian rubbish, or even rubbish from India?

Can we please keep on topic, which is:

"To participate in this event, contact any of the PADI DC's on the island, they will be able to assist you.

In previous years there was no charge for participation in clean up events, the aim is this year to be able to offer this free of charge as well. There may be a (small) charge for rental of divegear (if required) and transport to the pier (if required).

At the moment the exact plans are not finalized yet, so if and when updates are available they will be posted here. But for the moment: anybody who wants to participate on 30 September 2012, contact a PADI divecenter to book your place. "

Stevenl.

I truly applaud your efforts. If I was able my hand would be up. I am not a diver but have skippered boats with divers on board, so I can agree with your principles. Not trying to rain on your parade but I would like to ask 2 questions that spring to mind from a layman's point of view.

1. This is not a pleasure dive as such to look at the reef and the fish and get hours on the log. It is to clean up the rubbish left by others with no regard to the natural environment. It is work, whether voluntary or not, that could also be done by Thais. To read the law I believe a work permit would be required or has a government dispensation been granted in this case? Some problems after the tsunami spring to mind.

2. Especially with regard to a current thread running about insurance, are participants entitled to any cover if in the unfortunate event of an accident, especially considering the work ethic involved. If so which company is underwriting the project ? I believe, but not certain, that those involved in the annual voluntary Sydney beach clean up are covered by an insurance sponsor. Cuts, broken glass, dirty needles etc,

As I said this is from a layman's point of view which regards prevention is better than cure. I am not trying to open a can of worms.

the rubbish i see around racha does not look indian to me,sorry, but it's always easier to blame it on others.

Where did I say it was Indian rubbish, or even rubbish from India?

Can we please keep on topic, which is:

"To participate in this event, contact any of the PADI DC's on the island, they will be able to assist you.

At the moment the exact plans are not finalized yet, so if and when updates are available they will be posted here. But for the moment: anybody who wants to participate on 30 September 2012, contact a PADI divecenter to book your place. "

then best is not to mention any country at all

anyway, most of the rubbish would be better to leave where it is.

taking old nets away will destroy the area where they stuck on, bottle's have already little grow on and give shelter to smal animals.

• Like 1