Where Are The Friendliest People In Thailand?

AnandaSatvha

for me, southerners have proved the most genuine. reticent at first, they are loyal to a fault once you have proved yourself and been accepted.

I will always choose friends (in any culture) who offer a chance to earn respect over those that offer superficial acceptance upon meeting.

Yes my vote is also for the Southis.....Here many confuse, "be friendly to the walking ATM so we can harvest him better" with being friendly.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been my experience the further away you get from areas where people speak English the friendlier they get.

And as far from areas where they had previous contacts....

Thais who never spoke with Farangs believe that Farangs are nice, friendly, helpful and honest.

But this superstition is gone after they met a few.

So my vote is for Nakhon Si Thammerat.

You gotta be kidding... The hospitality in that city is as friendly as the weather in the rainy season.

But when they invite you, they invite you. Not like other areas where they invite you, 20 relatives come and at the end they present the invoice to you.....

I got that in North East, Bangkok and the East. It doesn't make south special at all. In fact southerners are known for being cruel and ignorant, at least that's on the grape vine.

Myself, I prefer Bkk or the north compared to the south.

People are people no matter where you go. I really feel that how you present yourself and appear to others is the key.

I'm a right scruffy <deleted> but I'm polite, smile to the point my wife thinks me a buffoon, yet it has got me far in all parts of this fair land...

People are people no matter where you go. I really feel that how you present yourself and appear to others is the key.

I'm a right scruffy <deleted> but I'm polite, smile to the point my wife thinks me a buffoon, yet it has got me far in all parts of this fair land...

Some like Isaan others like the south, I think it's more of a feeling where we belong and therefor adapt better to the place that suit us.

I got that in North East, Bangkok and the East. It doesn't make south special at all. In fact southerners are known for being cruel and ignorant, at least that's on the grape vine.

cruel and ignorant.....by the rumors of the North Easterns....Gossip of some semi racist things does not account as friendly.....

cruel and ignorant.....by the rumors of the North Easterns....Gossip of some semi racist things does not account as friendly.....

Rumors? Plain as day if you live in the south and I just quoted some southerners living in Nakhon.

North Easterns don't have so much against southerners as they have against bangkokians.

Rumors? Plain as day if you live in the south and I just quoted some southerners living in Nakhon.

North Easterns don't have so much against southerners as they have against bangkokians.

I am frequently in Nakhon Si Thammerat. OK, if the Southis speak Thai, you ask yourself why they have mobile phones as they speak so loud that it can be heard till the Andaman side. And the Thai sound as if they would have swallowed a Dutch. That let them appear though. But else I have only good experiences with them.....

I am frequently in Nakhon Si Thammerat. OK, if the Southis speak Thai, you ask yourself why they have mobile phones as they speak so loud that it can be heard till the Andaman side. And the Thai sound as if they would have swallowed a Dutch. That let them appear though. But else I have only good experiences with them.....

Deep south for me.

A few years ago we rather naively crossed over from Malaysia to Pedang Besar, Hat Yai etc and found the people to be genuinely friendly and helpful with no ulterior motives. Once you get into the more touristy areas there's always a price.

OK -

Geographics -

1. Not likely to be Bangkok simply because cities, in general, are more competitive, harsher places. I don't consider Chiang Mai a real city.

2. Not likely to be Thais in tourist areas -- much of which has to do with the very low quality tourist Thailand has attracted over the last 30-40 years WHICH IS THAILAND'S FAULT (not the tourists'), but which also has to do with the nastier sides of certain Thai cultural propensities.

Demographics -

3. Not likely to be HiSo people if they don't perceive you to be similarly well-hell'd

4. Less likely to be Thai men, if you are man, if they perceive you as a threat or are jealous in one way or another.

5. More likely to be Thai women if esp if they perceive you as (relatively) "wealthy"

6. Less likely to be Thais far outside your age range as Thais (like most all other Asians) are very age-conscious and could be seen to avoid interactions with people, esp foreigners outside of their age bracket.

7. Less likely to be people who identify as more Nationalist.

8. More likely to be Thais who can identify with some kind of adversity/marginalization - read: lady boys, ethnic Laos from north east, ethnic Cambodians from South East, ethnic Malays in the deep south, Hill Tribes, etc. They are more likely to be able to identify somewhat with being foreign.

Edited by PaullyW
  • Like 1

Perhaps

Indeed Max, but to sugesst somewhere is more "friendly" than another place has always baffled me...maybe my wife is right.....

I think depending one's characteristics, one says south the other one north. As I said earlier, it all depends where we feel most at home.

I'm talking the general attitude among Nakhon people. Thailand is well known for not being generally open minded but down in the south it's just plain obvious. The only reason they accept McDonalds and KFC because these franchises are everywhere so it's more of a status for them than anything.

Heck, some of the people here even believe KFC is Thai because it has always been here but as soon it comes to anything remotely foreign and I'm not only talking about farang here, then it's definitely not welcome.

"No thank you , we are fairly happy with our Geang Som and Khao Mok Gai, doesn't matter that most of our kids hate it this defines who we are. "

And that welcome wagon greets you every time you come by and I'm not saying this out of disrespect for a certain group but even the moslems are more forthcoming than the regular Thais down in the south, especially to foreigners. That should tell you a thing or two.

This is however going to change whether they like it or not. Since Chevron got a foothold here now, there is bound to pop up more and more cafes, restaurants or facilities to accommodate the new people.

• Like 1

I'm just happy to be here and I'm not some rose-tinted newbie either.

For all it's faults, 'tis still a dam_n good place to be and has treated me well all over the country.

Despite the whining from all the posters, including myself, I think all like it here but want it to be better for their families and in my case I just want some people to open their eyes and see what Thailand is now, doesn't have to be, it could be so much better if some people just opened their eyes.

Despite the whining from all the posters, including myself, I think all like it here but want it to be better for their families and in my case I just want some people to open their eyes and see what Thailand is now, doesn't have to be, it could be so much better if some people just opened their eyes.

I think the same could be said of anywhere. For me as I head to middle age, I just get pee-ed off with trying to change the world nowadays. I'll leave that to the young 'uns as I fill my face with ale and have a crafty feel of the wife's arse or fanny if she's asleep....

Edited by HeavyDrinker

I think the same could be said of anywhere. For me as I head to middle age, I just get pee-ed off with trying to change the world nowadays. I'll leave that to the young 'uns as I fill my face with ale and have a crafty feel of the wife's arse or fanny if she's asleep....

Let's hope your wife is not in possession of Kerry's bifocals whistling.gif

Edited by maxme

Right in your own neighborhood, if you are friendly to the Thais around your own home place, you'll find some of the most friendly people on earth. Just don't be a loud ass_hole, flaunting money around like it was water, and thinking you are better then them. Try it, smile and give a s_hit about them as people, you may be surprised.thumbsup.gif

post-84328-0-32320100-1341612977_thumb.j

post-84328-0-39857000-1341613068.png

Right in your own neighborhood, if you are friendly to the Thais around your own home place, you'll find some of the most friendly people on earth. Just don't be a loud ass_hole, flaunting money around like it was water, and thinking you are better then them. Try it, smile and give a s_hit about them as people, you may be surprised.thumbsup.gif

Oh yeah, I see a lot of expats do that here... rolleyes.gif