Why Do Thais Jog Anti-Clockwise?

brit1984

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coriolis effect.

ermm.gif

On the contrary, it actually seems to me that the Thais are fighting against the natural power of the coriolis effect caused by the world's rotation

Interestingly (especially in the context of Samran's post) in the northern hemisphere, the coriolis effect actually encourages moving objects (including people) to veer to the right (clockwise).

Hence, the Thais' anti-clockwise jogging direction is further evidence (if it was needed) that they are extremely sophisticated (and determined).

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 1

I used to run clockwise round Benjasiri and noticed I was in a minority, so started alternating. But clockwise seemed to be the default for me.

Race tracks in Europe and the rest of the world besides the US mostly run clockwise too.

I run anti-clockwise (counter clockwise) I think it’s a standard? Everywhere? Every track I have run on is counter-clockwise. Same with most car race tracks in the US. But we drive on the right.

Running tracks are anti/counter clockwise. Don't know why.

Horse racing tracks are also the same. Also don't know why.

But The origins of stock car racing in the US can be traced back to state fairs and the cars, like the horses , went anti/counter clockwise.

I used to run clockwise round Benjasiri and noticed I was in a minority, so started alternating. But clockwise seemed to be the default for me.

Race tracks in Europe and the rest of the world besides the US mostly run clockwise too.

All Athletic tracks i've seen on TV and in real life have all been anti clockwise,

the London Olympics is on soon so we can all see.

I agree most running tracks are anti-clockwise, but in the UK we jog around the park (a less serious pursuit than the Olympics) in both directions. I must admit running anti-clockwise does make me feel a bit like Michael Johnson running 400 meters in the Olympics.

I am now quite confused as to which direction to jog around the park, given the conflicting factors of the centrifugal forces and the desire to feel like Michael Johnson (both encouraging anti-clockwise jogging), the coriolis effect and a respect for Buddhism (both encouraging clockwise jogging), as well as my desire to avoid becoming lopsided (encouraging alternating directions).

Blame it on the British for the reason race tracks in the US are counter clockwise. biggrin.png

The Question:

Why is it whenever we watch horse racing, whether thoroughbreds or harness racing or even car racing, why is it that all racing goes counterclockwise?

The Answer:

It all goes back to England.

According to Tom Gilcoyne at the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in Saratoga, N.Y., horse racing in this country during colonial times was run clockwise, or "right-handed" (all right-hand turns). But during the American revolution, that English custom was deliberately replaced by left-handed track races like the ones we see in America today.

In England 30–40% of races are now run the same way ours are. In central Europe, however, most are run right-handed.

Incidentally, Man o' War's victory at the 1920 Belmont Stakes was run right-handed. The Belmont was run that way from its first season at Belmont Park in 1905 until 1921.

—The Editors

Also I understand is it keeps the driver further away from the wall in an accident. 2nd, before radio communication was common, they could wave information to the pit crews and vice versa on the inside of the track.

All Athletic tracks i've seen on TV and in real life have all been anti clockwise,

Well, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUGm3CO6LPcN-Y7HIuyE0Rew&feature=player_detailpage&v=dmyz_f8Sx14

Same reason in my neighborhood, they ride their bicycle in a 8 meter circular motion over, and over, and over for about an hour straight.

You'd think they'd want to quickly bike to the park, and go around the lake, which has an excellent bike path. But if you want to bike round and round in circles infront of your house, up to you!

No idea!

Sorry replied to wrong post.

Edited by Mosha

I run anti-clockwise (counter clockwise) I think it’s a standard? Everywhere? Every track I have run on is counter-clockwise. Same with most car race tracks in the US. But we drive on the right.

All the indoor tracks I jogged on in the US it was counter clockwise.

The scientific reason:

I guess, by this time you are clear about the direction in which the runners run.So let us see the reason why runners always run in the counter clockwise direction. The reason is simple and it is also based on the structure of the human body. The most precious part of any human body is heart and it is located on the left side of the body. So running in the anticlockwise direction ensures that the centrifugal force force in the body to act from left to right and as a result we can say that the blood circulation is very good.

The principal vein carrying blood to the hear is known as Superior Venecava, and it takes the heart aided by heart suction and more importantly this vein carries deoxygenated blood from the upper half of the body to the heart's right atrium

250px-Diagram_of_the_human_heart_%28cropped%29.svg.png

So this centrifugal force, due to running in counter clockwise direction, will helps this and also increase the blood circulation and it does not make the athlete tired very soon. On the other hand running in clockwise direction, will make the centrifugal force to impede suction and it tires athletes.It is also said that, when an athlete runs in counter clockwise direction, he encounters only left turns and as a matter of fact left turns are more easier than that of right turns.I guess this fact would have helped you to know something interesting and i also thank for all those who actually find the reason for runners running in counter clockwise direction.

Source:

The heart is in the middle of your chest, that is why snipers aim their killing shot there.

All the indoor tracks I jogged on in the US it was counter clockwise.

The scientific reason:

I guess, by this time you are clear about the direction in which the runners run.So let us see the reason why runners always run in the counter clockwise direction. The reason is simple and it is also based on the structure of the human body. The most precious part of any human body is heart and it is located on the left side of the body. So running in the anticlockwise direction ensures that the centrifugal force force in the body to act from left to right and as a result we can say that the blood circulation is very good.

The principal vein carrying blood to the hear is known as Superior Venecava, and it takes the heart aided by heart suction and more importantly this vein carries deoxygenated blood from the upper half of the body to the heart's right atrium

250px-Diagram_of_the_human_heart_%28cropped%29.svg.png

So this centrifugal force, due to running in counter clockwise direction, will helps this and also increase the blood circulation and it does not make the athlete tired very soon. On the other hand running in clockwise direction, will make the centrifugal force to impede suction and it tires athletes.It is also said that, when an athlete runs in counter clockwise direction, he encounters only left turns and as a matter of fact left turns are more easier than that of right turns.I guess this fact would have helped you to know something interesting and i also thank for all those who actually find the reason for runners running in counter clockwise direction.

Source:

The heart is in the middle of your chest, that is why snipers aim their killing shot there.

In the movies, they aim for the head (and never miss).

Not accurate (oops, a pun).

The heart is located slightly left of center with the base above the apex in the chest.

The heart is located behind the sternum with the largest part offset slightly to the left, though it can be located to the right due to the congenital defect of dextrocardia. A more accurate location is the apex being located 9 cm to the left of the midsternal line.

Not accurate (oops, a pun).

The heart is located slightly left of center with the base above the apex in the chest.

The heart is located behind the sternum with the largest part offset slightly to the left, though it can be located to the right due to the congenital defect of dextrocardia. A more accurate location is the apex being located 9 cm to the left of the midsternal line.

How can I check if I have the congenital defect of dextrocardia?

That would have a major impact on the effects of centrifugal forces on my anatomy when I am jogging, and would make running clockwise most of the time more sensible (although I would still alternate occasionally to avoid becoming lopsided).

Actually I beg to differ on that.

Everytime I have walked the '3 times round' a Temple or the Golden Dome in Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep, we have always walked 'clockwise' around.

You're correct David.

When visiting Buddhist temples in Thailand, dress respectfully and remember that even if the temple is a major tourist attraction, it is also a place of worship. Shoes are removed before entering, and generally you should walk around a Buddhist temple in a clockwise direction. Suite101

Always walk clockwise around Buddhist monuments, keeping the religious landmarks to your right. The Buddhist practice of circling stupas and religion sites is believed to have been derived from cults that circled solar temples. factsanddetails

Why Clockwise?

In the Buddhist tradition, clockwise circumambulation is a sign of respect; a number of sutras describe disciples doing three clockwise circumambulations of the Buddha and prostrating to him before requesting teachings. (The word ‘clockwise’ is an adaptation of an earlier term translated from Sanskrit as ‘sunwise.’) Moonpointer

There are several theories regarding circumambulate and direction. One is that the left hand is used to wash oneself and as such should stay away from the religious articles to prevent accidentally touching them. Another is relative to the rotation of the stars/planets thus the formation of the word 'clockwise'.

Guess it's the amateurs going the wrong direction. biggrin.png

That's interesting.

Ever seen monks bearing their right shoulder in Thailand southeast Asia? From what I know, it has to do with an old custom, in which its doing shows respect. Hence in many Buddhist passages in the canon where one would walk around the Buddha 3 times, left shoulder away. One of my teachers also told me the women used to dress that way as well in Thailand (probably keeping tradition, more than likely). Even today at major Buddhist events, it is considered respectful to walk around the object with the right shoulder facing it, left away.

I'm not to sure about the 'sunwise', as most suttas in the Canon seem to use the lunar calendar when attempting to describe the period during which it is recorded.

Edited by hookedondhamma

Putting aside all the physics and anatomy for a moment - I suspect the real reason is custom and practice.

Track running is an import from europe, it would make sense that whoever introduced tracks (running and cycling) to Thailand simply followed the norm.

The norm goes back to classical times, where we have written and archeological records that demonstrate counterclockwise was the norm back then.

As and aside, and a nod to the ancients - I used to join the joggers around the Circus Maximus in Rome - It was a nice way to start the day, jogging with others, surrounded by the splendour of the past - but I, and I suspect others too, was always fighting the urge to break into a canter.

Why do Thai people (and foreigners living in Thailand) jog anti-clockwise?

They are Buddhist and practicing for their funerals....

But they always go clockwise round the temples, no?

Sent from the Back 'o Bennachie with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

anti-clockwise?

Surely, they just want to unwind.

*grins*

Sorry for my earlier comment; I appear to have sidetracked a bit - circling around a temple is by no means connected to the reason why people jog anti-clockwise. Now that I think about it though, I never noticed a difference when I'd run clockwise or anti when I used to run. In the daytime when everyone was on the track I'd run anti with everyone else. At night when no one was there I'd run clockwise.

Go with the flow Brit, go with the flow.

Do you know something your not telling me?

Are you worried that I can't handle the truth?

Does it really effen matter? jeez just jog and worry about something you should be worrying about..

anti-clockwise?

*grins*

Sorry for my earlier comment; I appear to have sidetracked a bit - circling around a temple is by no means connected to the reason why people jog anti-clockwise. Now that I think about it though, I never noticed a difference when I'd run clockwise or anti when I used to run. In the daytime when everyone was on the track I'd run anti with everyone else. At night when no one was there I'd run clockwise.

Do you jog twice per day or just continuously?

Go with the flow Brit, go with the flow.

Do you know something your not telling me?

Are you worried that I can't handle the truth?

Does it really effen matter? jeez just jog and worry about something you should be worrying about..

What should I be worrying about?...

...now you got me worried!

Edited by brit1984

anti-clockwise?

*grins*

Do you jog twice per day or just continuously?

:-)

I used to run/jog during the week. Sometimes once in the morning, sometimes once at night, sometimes twice a day, morning and night. Oh, how times have changed.

For clarity, I meant motor racing. No idea about running races!

Blame it on the British for the reason race tracks in the US are counter clockwise. biggrin.png

Also I understand is it keeps the driver further away from the wall in an accident. 2nd, before radio communication was common, they could wave information to the pit crews and vice versa on the inside of the track.

I'm going to guess you're American as you assume

1) That the cars are left hand drive

2) That the people outside of the US consider driving around in a big circle to be motor racing.

Neither of which hold true everywhere.

I'm going to guess you're American as you assume

1) That the cars are left hand drive

2) That the people outside of the US consider driving around in a big circle to be motor racing.

Neither of which hold true everywhere.

Would have been useful for you to have quoted my full post rather than pull a subset out.

This is not in conflict at all with clockwise driving elsewhere if you think about it. Steering in many other countries is on the opposite side of the US and as such keeps the above concept valid. That is, clockwise with steering on the right still validates my quote. F1 racing is predominately clockwise but not everywhere (as per your 'big circle' comment). BTW most US tracks are not 'big circles, they're oval. NASCAR view below.

"Road circuits" which is what you are probably referring to in your "everywhere" comment are fine and less boring then oval. Oval has the advantage of universal spectator view and very high speed continuous racing. Think INDY 500. I'm not arguing the merits either way, just making historical observations. Neither have I stated anywhere that it is true everywhere and being American has no bearing on my posts other than I have more experience with US tracks but enjoy F1 and European races also.

320px-AtlantaMotorSpeedwayAerial2009.jpg

• Like 1

What a fuss about nothing! Thais run anti-clockwise because all the other Thais run anti-clockwise.

In the fitness park where I used to walk my dogs, the joggers went anti-clockwise, and I went clockwise. That way they could see my dogs before they reached me, and I could see when I needed to take evasive action.

One day, I let my Bangkaew off the lead, and he didn't know the customs. Joggers scattered in all directions. Oooh, that were fun, that were!