European Conmen Arrested In US$10 Million Thai Scam

webfact

They're only "victims" of their own greed and stupidity.

Anyone who gives brass to some anonymous bloke who just calls you out of the blue deserves little sympathy...

My thoughts... Exactly!

How did these people manage to accumulate enough money to be tricked so easily?

Many dumb people get money, example 1 .Thai family owned land next to the beach a 100 years ago, now its called Pattaya and the descendants just sold it to Mr developer lets say 8 years ago.

Just timing and luck, but the land owners could be as thick as sh!te.

Uk Lottery winner ( Yob) wins 8 million £ all is gone in the next few years, opportunity of a lifetime blown out he window

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greedy Stupid people.. "If it sounds to good to be true.... It probably is"

Likely to be more of it.

There are few opportunities for returns these days, even the stock market is dubious, bank interest rates are derisory, and 'quantitative easing' / inflation is eating away at peoples savings.

You don't have to be stupid to be tempted.

Given the dismal returns you mention you get elsewhere, if you don't have to be stupid to be tempted to 'donate' your money to such gangs, then what does it take to make such a stupid decision? Blind greed, I'd say. And that's what Matthew cold it.

That's like saying it's a girls own fault if she gets raped. .

It's nothing of the sort.

Of course it is. You are effectively condoning their actions as some sort of victimless crime.

No I'm not. I'm saying the victims of this scam are as much victims of their own greed.

To suggest a woman is at fault in a violent and hideous crime is nothing like the same as this.

Several pages of replies and no mention of which building.

Anyone know if these people were arrested in the "Trendy Condominium" units?

They were operating from the Sukhumwit Suite, Soi 13, Khlong Toei Nuea, Wattana, BKK.

Any idea as to who financed and started up this latest call center scam? My guess would be a British National as they had the largest number arrested?

I have previously seen a typed 'script' used by an 'investment based call center' that operated out of an office on Sukhumvit Soi 4, along with a list of names and phone numbers from western countries. The operations were run by a Brit who was paid 80k baht monthly, plus commissions.

Meanwhile, police arrested a Liberian national and a Guinea national for duping an American into buying a magic potion for Bt147,000, which could allegedly turn US dollar bills of a lower denomination into $100 bills. The victim notified police after the suspects demanded another Bt1 million in exchange for the key to a safe deposit where the remainder of the potion was kept.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-07

More fool the greedy, dumb American.

I've never heard such nonsense in my life.

Some people don't understand the word THEFT,so many people on TV are out to justify theft,by the same old platitudes, The attitude is: they deserved it,victims of their own greed,they were stupid,and so on and so forth.

Get real,those that do this are Thieves,Crooks,and Scum preying on the vulnerable,and aged. Go to prison,with the rest of the Crooks and Conmen,you will feel more at home,you might even have time to ponder over the plight of your victims.

I said it here once that Westerners are Comiting more crime in our Dear Thailand than Africans,or any other country,some people call me names and insulted me,today WHAT IS THIS? There is not single Nigerian or west african in this case,yet they are been BLACKLISTED in THAILAND,i hope Britons,Americans,South Africans and Germanys will also Be BLACKLISTED now that the world have knows their Evil Activities in Thailand.coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif since we judge a whole race or country base on the crime comiting by few from that race or country.

As you have had to wait about a month to get you frustration and retaliation out i think you should just be honest with yourself, sure , crimes are commited by all races and creeds , some countries have less and others more, unluckily thailand falls into the "more " bracket ,and as most of us here have an interest in thailand , be it through business or family ,we care what happens here and want to improve it and so have a rant as i expect most of us feel we have put more into thailand than we get in return ,....unfortunately it all boils down to % , and the fact that you have had to wait so long to get your revenge on all the ''farang'' that dare point a finger at thailand says it all , ....there are good and bad everywhere , it's just a matter of numbers and im sure we will be back too the usual "thai mugs/stabs/shoots/scams/murders/rapes farang before you know it , the fact that this was a "farang on farang" crime should reasure you that your still safe in your own country,..at least from ''farang" anyway , .....look forward to seeing you next month ! Edited by osiboy

Music to my ears. Been waiting for the cards to fall down on these thugs. Once one crew gets done, they get sqeezed a little, then start rolling over on all the other crews. " Let it roll baby roll ". Nothing better than getting rid of this filth out of our society. clap2.gif

Frankly, I'm appalled at the suggestions being made here that the victims deserve no sympathy because of their own greed or stupidity.

The fact is that, all over the Western world, interest rates on the more traditional forms of investing many people use - cash deposits, building society/thrift saving accounts, etc - are paying derisory returns.

There are millions of pensioners to whom the chasm between a 1% and 3% return on their capital makes all the difference in the world as far as their standard of living is concerned. The scammers are fully aware of this and, by directing the victims to a flashy, well-constructed website, they can very convincingly reinforce the illusion of legitimacy so let's dispel this myth that victims are bumbling, avaricious idiots who deserve to be separated from their money.

These operations are far more sophisticated than the images of grunts being arrested would suggest. They've got friends in high places, tech wizards and a wall of money to throw at minor inconveniences like law enforcement.

• Like 1

Some people don't understand the word THEFT,so many people on TV are out to justify theft,by the same old platitudes, The attitude is: they deserved it,victims of their own greed,they were stupid,and so on and so forth.

Get real,those that do this are Thieves,Crooks,and Scum preying on the vulnerable,and aged. Go to prison,with the rest of the Crooks and Conmen,you will feel more at home,you might even have time to ponder over the plight of your victims.

Of course it is theft, few will disagree. But given the fact that we don't live in paradise, that we all know that there are crooks among us, if we act utterly careless, e.g. don't lock our house or bike, or leave our wallet or mobile phone on the table in a public area when going to the bathroom, losing what we entrusted to anonymous others isn't an accident. The victims clearly share the blame, because the tiniest little bit of prudence would have avoided their loss.

Frankly, I'm appalled at the suggestions being made here that the victims deserve no sympathy because of their own greed or stupidity.

The fact is that, all over the Western world, interest rates on the more traditional forms of investing many people use - cash deposits, building society/thrift saving accounts, etc - are paying derisory returns.

There are millions of pensioners to whom the chasm between a 1% and 3% return on their capital makes all the difference in the world as far as their standard of living is concerned. The scammers are fully aware of this and, by directing the victims to a flashy, well-constructed website, they can very convincingly reinforce the illusion of legitimacy so let's dispel this myth that victims are bumbling, avaricious idiots who deserve to be separated from their money.

These operations are far more sophisticated than the images of grunts being arrested would suggest. They've got friends in high places, tech wizards and a wall of money to throw at minor inconveniences like law enforcement.

I could perhaps agree if the returns offered were below - say - 15%. However, the article says that the victims were advised that they could make 95% profit from their investment in exchange for a 25% cut. If that isn't smelly, what is?

I could perhaps agree if the returns offered were below - say - 15%. However, the article says that the victims were advised that they could make 95% profit from their investment in exchange for a 25% cut. If that isn't smelly, what is?

Yes it's a ridiculous claim but I doubt the scammers were using that figure.

Music to my ears. Been waiting for the cards to fall down on these thugs. Once one crew gets done, they get sqeezed a little, then start rolling over on all the other crews. " Let it roll baby roll ". Nothing better than getting rid of this filth out of our society. clap2.gif

I would not be so confident. Are they wearing surgical masks (1) because there is an outbreak of something at the police station ? Or is it because (2) they are coming back on the next plane. I may have been a bit prematurely optimistic myself. But looks more like opportunitism from where I am standing.

Meanwhile, police arrested a Liberian national and a Guinea national for duping an American into buying a magic potion for Bt147,000, which could allegedly turn US dollar bills of a lower denomination into $100 bills. The victim notified police after the suspects demanded another Bt1 million in exchange for the key to a safe deposit where the remainder of the potion was kept.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-07

More fool the greedy, dumb American.

I've never heard such nonsense in my life.

Sounds like something from the Adventures of Tin Tin.

I would not be so confident. Are they wearing surgical masks (1) because there is an outbreak of something at the police station ? Or is it because (2) they are coming back on the next plane. I may have been a bit prematurely optimistic myself. But looks more like opportunitism from where I am standing.

I think that they are wearing masks to hide their identities as they have not admitted to any crime and therefore are, wait for it as I know it is hard to believe, they are innocent until proven guilty.

Even if they do get turned loose by Thai authorities [which I doubt ] they will be picked up by other, international authorities, such as FBI, AFP, NZPol etc etc which I know are now and have been for some 12 months now working alongside Thai authorities, at the request of several foriegn governments, in a special taskforce set up to takedown these gangs in Thailand.

There was a time when these gangs operated here without having to worry too much about being dusted up by Thai authorities but that has changed. So all that are out there doing just this should rightfully be pissing their pants right now. As IMO this is just the beginning. Busting these thugs is like peeling an onion. Once you get the first layer off the others just keep coming.

A classic 'Boiler Room' operation preying on the greedy and credulous.

Glad they busted them, don't really feel that sad for the victims,

if this is the line that they were being fed, and they bought it;

hook line and Swiss bank account.

Edited by animatic

Of course it is theft, few will disagree. But given the fact that we don't live in paradise, that we all know that there are crooks among us, if we act utterly careless, e.g. don't lock our house or bike, or leave our wallet or mobile phone on the table in a public area when going to the bathroom, losing what we entrusted to anonymous others isn't an accident. The victims clearly share the blame, because the tiniest little bit of prudence would have avoided their loss.

I take your point,but we should always err on the side of the victim,rather than justify the perpetrators action,in a fair game fashion,even partially absolving those who make their living by illegal criminal means.

If we go down this road it leaves it open for many to excuse the wrong doer,in many subjects.and many ways.

I have a friend that's an aspiring politician in the Philippines.....and we all know all the scams that go on there. He wants a policy that if you are convicted of fraud, guilty of cheating innocent people's money, then you should either be castrated or have your womb taken away!! So that you are unable to breed scammers and pollute the population....I would certainly vote for him.

For the conmen that don't have or want kids.....maybe life in prison so they don't cheat people again.

Have not read or heard of foreign law enforcement agency involvement in this bust, nor of any possible criminal charges these folks are facing overseas. Probably not...

"Meanwhile, police arrested a Liberian national and a Guinea national for duping an American into buying a magic potion for Bt147,000, which could allegedly turn US dollar bills of a lower denomination into $100 bills. The victim notified police after the suspects demanded another Bt1 million in exchange for the key to a safe deposit where the remainder of the potion was kept."

LOL.

I think the American must have already on some 'magic potion' when he/she made this deal. Maybe it works, which all I can say then is maybe the US Federal Reserve and Bank sould consider this option to turn a few billion dollars into about 15 trillion greenbacks so that the national debt can be paid-off.

They're only "victims" of their own greed and stupidity.

Anyone who gives brass to some anonymous bloke who just calls you out of the blue deserves little sympathy...

My thoughts... Exactly!

How did these people manage to accumulate enough money to be tricked so easily?

Many dumb people get money, example 1 .Thai family owned land next to the beach a 100 years ago, now its called Pattaya and the descendants just sold it to Mr developer lets say 8 years ago.

Just timing and luck, but the land owners could be as thick as sh!te.

Uk Lottery winner ( Yob) wins 8 million all is gone in the next few years, opportunity of a lifetime blown out he window

Usually it was the black sheep of the family to get the beach front land inherited, the rest of the family had the good farming land, go figure who's laughing now!?