Mozilla Calling It Quits On Thunderbird

Tywais

Mozilla calling it quits on Thunderbird, report says

The Internet company plans to let go of its open-source e-mail software, with hopes that other people will keep the T-bird alive, according to a leaked letter obtained by TechCrunch.

Surprised to find out that Mozilla's Thunderbird isn't dead yet? Well, have we've got news for you.

Mozilla is just now (sort of) pulling the plug on its open-source e-mail software, TechCrunch reported today. The company is looking for feedback and plans to share a final action plan in September.

In a "confidential" message sent to "Mozillians" prior to an official announcement this coming Monday, Thunderbird Managing Director JB Piacentino said Mozilla is moving its resources away from further developing the software with hopes that Thunderbird's vocal fans will take over that responsibility.

The information was suppose to accompany a blog post from Mozilla Foundation Chair Mitchell Baker on Monday afternoon. It seems the post, which focuses on the Thunderbird's stability and community, was published today (after TechCrunch's report was published). The news release is expected to be posted here on Monday.

When contacted by CNET, a Mozilla spokesperson pointed to the Baker post as a response, but did not comment further.

More on CNET.com

Well that sucks, what is the next best choice?

Pegasus Mail is also free and full featured. However, I'm going to hold out and see how the users handle taking over the application. Even so, I can still get a log of mileage out of the current version and will probably last me for quite a while still.

Sad to see the loss of future Thunderbird support as a great email program with hardly any downside. Used it since inception, but with the ever changing internet landscape I suspect Mozilla experienced less and less demand for the program as more users navigated to the online email services. The big somehow keep eating the smaller which is without a doubt no benefit to end users. Let's hope someone will continue the project.

Communication as a trend is moving away from email towards Instant/Social message services, and what's left behind is moving towards better and better web based solutions (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, OX to mention a few). I don't think it's a big surprise they're dropping Thunderbird.

Well that sucks, what is the next best choice?

Pegasus Mail is also free and full featured. However, I'm going to hold out and see how the users handle taking over the application. Even so, I can still get a log of mileage out of the current version and will probably last me for quite a while still.

I used (and loved) Pegasus Mail for many years before switching to Thunderbird but I'd hate to go back.