Would You Take Your Children To Pattaya For A Family Holiday?

coolhandjoe

Would you take your children to Pattaya for a family holiday?Let's be honest now....  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you have never been there!!! My God at least first go and see!! People tell lots of stories about Thailand too!

And that is an important point. I'm not sure everyone realizes how many people in the world have never been to Thailand, but would be first in line to call it totally irresponsible to take your children there.

That would be a pretty ignorant thing to say, right?

Would you take YOUR children though? that is the question!

I would, and I have. And I will likely go again later this year. My wife also considers it a much safer / more convenient place than some of the more remote beach destinations, or going to beaches in nearby countries.

You would not want to take your children along Beach Road after sunset with the hundreds of freelancers.

Indeed I wouldn't, though the main reason would be some of the more unhinged tourists/sexpats more than the freelancers. But you don't get one without the other of course, so no, I likely wouldn't walk around with them there at night. (No different from particular areas in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Phuket of course.)

With Pattaya you have to make a decision where not to take the kids. Jomtien? not in the high season with many foreigners parading with their young male prostitute.

Why.. do they bite? Jomtien is much less of a scene, with the possible exception from a tiny bit in the North, though that too isn't much of an issue.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wouldn't want my kids to ask the question - "Why are all these western men with younger Thai women?".

That's peculiar.. Let's assume the kids are mixed Thai/Western, as are mine. Half my kids friends parents have a bit of an age gap, and that includes some full Thai and full Farang friends. Her (Western) school teacher's husband is 15 years older at least. Honestly I think you're just projecting some adult ageism and general narrow-mindedness on to kids.

Either way, I have no trouble answering any and all questions children may ask about anything. Kids ask all kinds of questions, and that's good. But you seem to have more trouble (or add undue weight) to particular questions. I think that if a child is ready to ask a particular question, they're ready for the answer. This morning on the way to school my kid (6) asked if I knew of a country that had a very big war in the past. So I answered Cambodia as an example. She then asked why so many people are killed for no reason. Now *that* is a tough question to answer. Much more than how people form relationships.

It won't take the kids long to figure out that their mum was a hooker and their father a whoremonger. Pattaya makes legitimate relationships and the rest of Thailand look bad, so they have to work twice as hard to prove otherwise. The OP asked a valid question and has in a way made a valid point. A few eggs got broke along the way, but no harm done hey?

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Assume a kid's mum was a hooker and his/her father a whoremonger, then taking them to Pattaya as opposed to staying in Bangkok or wherever else would result in... what? I genuinely don't get it, or how it relates to the topic of (un)suitable family holiday destinations.

What did they ask? Various comments made and questions asked. Why are these girls mai riap roi, why do these girls speak impolitely, why are these girls not shy to be seen with fat old farangs. Why are these farangs not dressed properly, are some of the ones I remember.

Ok.. so you're saying that you may have acted improperly as a parent, as stated by the OP by taking your kids to inappropriate places? And I say this as a parent who has visited Pattaya several times with the wife and kids, my sister and my mum.. and nobody witnessed any of the above at any time. I don't take children to inappropriate places in Bangkok, nor in Chiang Mai. Clearly I'm not doing it in Pattaya either when there on a short holiday.

In the event that it does happen though, after all nobody fully controls their environment, I think it would make for a fine lesson to teach kids to speak and act politely and properly.

Apart from your obvious slam of all things Issan. I havent slammed Issan at all, I stated no one in my family is from Issan or involved in the sex trade, you can apply your own connotations, but they may well be a sign of your insecurity.

rolleyes.gif (It's called flame-bait, and there's no need for it. I also don't feel the need to add details about my own relationship details including our ages and regional backgrounds. I think that would be a distraction that doesn't help the discussion further.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

With Pattaya you have to make a decision where not to take the kids. Jomtien? not in the high season with many foreigners parading with their young male prostitute.

Why.. do they bite? Jomtien is much less of a scene, with the possible exception from a tiny bit in the North, though that too isn't much of an issue.

Just a personal issue, I find it repulsive - If it doesn't bother you so be it

Edited by simple1

That the crux of this whole thread isn't it. YOU find it repulsive, so your kids have to feel the same.

Thank god my parents (ages ago) weren't so narrow-minded.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

That the crux of this whole thread isn't it. YOU find it repulsive, so your kids have to feel the same.

Yermanee wai.gif

Don't know how you came to that conclusion as I'm not homophobic. My child is free to make her own decisions as to what is acceptable or not. I have not discussed with her the rights/wrongs of male/female prostitution, never been bought up in conversation, nor would I expose her to it . But as a parent, if I was asked, I would present my view that it's not exactly the best lifestyle - again if it's fine by you...

Edited by simple1

Yermanee wai.gif

Don't know how you came to that conclusion as I'm not homophobic. My child is free to make her own decisions as to what is acceptable or not. I have not discussed with her the rights/wrongs of male/female prostitution, never been bought up in conversation, nor would I expose her to it . But as a parent, if I was asked, I would present my view that it's not exactly the best lifestyle - again if it's fine by you...

- Just a personal issue, I find it repulsive. - that's what you said isn't it?

I rest my case.

Yermaneewai.gif

Yermanee wai.gif

- Just a personal issue, I find it repulsive. - that's what you said isn't it?

I rest my case.

Yermaneewai.gif

Yes, seeing young male prostitutes with middle aged men is repulsive to me; again doesn't mean I am homophobic. End of conversation - OK?smile.png

Edited by simple1

Where is the best place in Thailand for a family holiday?

Pattaya's quite convenient, if you live in the south-east suburbs of Bangkok.

Blackpool's a better alternative if you're beyond the Mersey

SC

• Like 1

I'd say Phuket, if the logistics of getting there isn't an issue. Because:

- It has an airport, so you can fly into there and then be in your hotel with relatively little fuss

- Several nice beaches around the island

- Some entertainment attractions, many suitable for kids

- Convenient jumping-off point to explore the Andaman coast and several islands.

- Abundance of hotel accommodation.

- Phuket town is an interesting little town with great restaurants

Downsides are that it's a little pricier than other places, that on Phuket too there are specific areas less suitable to walk around with kids. And taxi transportation is a nightmare; you're basically forced to rent a car, which is fine.

If this is a very short getaway and you just want the best beach for your buck, then I'd say Ko Samet, and book a reasonable resort there. Or do it as a day trip (or overnight) while basing yourself in Pattaya/Jomtien.

I also have a soft spot for Prachuab Khiri Khan town, which is lovely in every way, but you just can't get there easily. (Though renting a car would be a possibility)

Of course all of the above are on the assumption that a beach is a requirement. If not then Chiang Mai is also a serious contender; kids might actually learn something there. thumbsup.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Pattaya makes legitimate relationships and the rest of Thailand look bad, so they have to work twice as hard to prove otherwise.

Being a realist is not a sign of insecurity!

No Pattaya loving "family men" wish to comment on the above post?

Pattaya makes legitimate relationships and the rest of Thailand look bad, so they have to work twice as hard to prove otherwise.

Hummm ... no Chittychangchang we will leave that up to you.

If you are good enough ... people will comment on your reply.

Awkward questions which they carn't realistically answer without an own goal.

The lack of responses could be because people don't want to go off topic.

Maybe, just maybe some newbie tourists would think that, but anyone else, including most expats and Thai people, can spot a 'legitimate' (for lack of a better term) quite easily. Or even if they couldn't I still wouldn't feel the need to prove anything to anyone. Or are you saying that taking your family to Pattaya would make you feel self-conscious about what some people might think? (genuine question, not trying to put words in your mouth)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I didn't really understand the comment. I wasn't sure if you meant in comparison to Pattaya, legitimate relationships and the rest of Thailand rank a poor second-best, or do you mean that Pattatya relationships appear so similar to legitimate relationships that people mistake the two; anyway, I can't imagine anything you say here will persuade my wife no to take the kids to Pattaya again, unless she reads this thread

SC

Awkward questions which they carn't realistically answer without an own goal.

or maybe some of us don't live on Thai Visa or feel the need to repeatedly ram our opinion down others' throats in a disparaging and small minded way. You've been given answers which you refuse to accept as worthy of consideration therefore any further comment is surely superfluous.

If you're talking a leave Saturday morning and return Sunday night weekend then sure towards Hua Hin and towards Jomtien are probably best destinations - you choose Hua Hin presumably because it doesn't have a naughty night life area, older men with younger women nor a local mafia... oh wait!!

Oh and quoting yourself in a look at me, look at the clever thing I said way is akin to laughing at your own jokes or pulling mummy to look at your crayon drawings. No one clicked "like" get over it...

• Like 2

Ok.. so you're saying that you may have acted improperly as a parent, as stated by the OP by taking your kids to inappropriate places? And I say this as a parent who has visited Pattaya several times with the wife and kids, my sister and my mum.. and nobody witnessed any of the above at any time. I don't take children to inappropriate places in Bangkok, nor in Chiang Mai. Clearly I'm not doing it in Pattaya either when there on a short holiday.

In the event that it does happen though, after all nobody fully controls their environment, I think it would make for a fine lesson to teach kids to speak and act politely and properly.

Ok WTK, here we go,

"What did they ask? Various comments made and questions asked. Why are these girls mai riap roi, why do these girls speak impolitely, why are these girls not shy to be seen with fat old farangs. Why are these farangs not dressed properly, are some of the ones I remember.

In the event that it does happen though, after all nobody fully controls their environment, I think it would make for a fine lesson to teach kids to speak and act politely and properly."

"Ok.. so you're saying that you may have acted improperly as a parent, as stated by the OP by taking your kids to inappropriate places?"

Inappropriate places, I would hardly call the back of a song tao taking children from the Siam Bayshore to Central Mall inappropriate, however I take heed of what you say.

"In the event that it does happen though, after all nobody fully controls their environment, I think it would make for a fine lesson to teach kids to speak and act politely and properly."

Agreed, have since learned my lesson.

Children are taught how to speak and act politely and properly, believe me if they didnt their mother would beat the shit out of them.

If the above offends the PC brigade you may be in the wrong country, please dont lecture me on how to raise my kids.

Nowhere did I mention the children spoke out of turn.

" (It's called flame-bait, and there's no need for it. I also don't feel the need to add details about my own relationship details including our ages and regional backgrounds. I think that would be a distraction that doesn't help the discussion further.)"

Well thats your personal opinion.

I added it to let posters or readers know the children arent growing up being fed a pile of kee kwai (for our non Thai readers, buffalo shit), oh khun mae tam ngan tee tanakan krungthep pattaya, rue, khun mae ben khon dek serf tee rahn ahan tee pattaya.For the benefit of our non Thai readers, your mother works in the Bangkok Bank, or works as a server at a restaurant in Pattaya.(no doubt KK will be along shortly to pull my Thai apart).

I have no problems adding details about my wife or her family, then again I aint older than my FIL, never mind up to you, or as they say here, tum jai, sorry for the piss poor transliteration, not allowed to post Thai fonts in the non languge forum.

Central Grand Mirage is one of the best family resorts we have been to anywhere. Brilliant family rooms and the pools for kids are amazing.

It's an hour from home in eastern Bangkok and we don't take the kids into central Pattaya to hang out in beer bars while we are there........

Contrary to common belief of the minority on here, Pattaya is the place for family men to take their families.

I take my family to Hau Hin.

Isn't Hua Hin just a scaled down version of Pattaya that offers a lot less attractions for kids?

And doesn't Hua Hin also have bars with bargirls that cater for the sexpats that you wouldn't wish your children to

see?

None of the Thai side of my family have ever had any issues with taking their kids there, and neither do I.

My wife's aunt owns 2 apartments in Pattaya and their family decamp there every few weeks. It's just another beach resort to the Thais. Only Certain Farange seem to make a big fuss about it.

Also, the bank where my sister in law works have office jollies to Pattaya where families are invited.

• Like 2

Contrary to common belief of the minority on here, Pattaya is the place for family men to take their families.

I take my family to Hau Hin.

Isn't Hua Hin just a scaled down version of Pattaya that offers a lot less attractions for kids?

And doesn't Hua Hin also have bars with bargirls that cater for the sexpats that you wouldn't wish your children to

see?

It has some, a very small percentage of Pattayas. They are mostly in a square that you may never come across unless you walk specifically there.

The streets aren't lined with hookers like Pattaya. Very rare to see a street hooker. The shopping malls aren't full of hookers and farangs like Pattaya and the beaches don't even compare.

see?

YES! That's exactly how I tend to describe the place.

None of the Thai side of my family have ever had any issues with taking their kids there, and neither do I.

My wife's aunt owns 2 apartments in Pattaya and their family decamp there every few weeks. It's just another beach resort to the Thais. Only Certain Farange seem to make a big fuss about it.

Also, the bank where my sister in law works have office jollies to Pattaya where families are invited.

Agree with this too. And not just 'certain Farangs' make a big fuss over it, 'certain Thais' do too. Specifically those with bar experience, who know what (also) goes on there. So they're hell-bent on preventing their spouse from going there. Regular middle class Thais have maybe visited the place a couple times on some company conference or seminar in one of the bigger hotels, or they've been to Jomtien or Bang Saray with the family, and had seafood. That's it.

It seems hard to understand for 'certain Farangs', but to most ordinary Thai people, Pattaya doesn't carry much of a stigma, other than perhaps that it isn't the prettiest beach in the world and that downtown Pattaya is completely overrun with foreigners from all corners of the globe. But it sure is cheap and convenient.

My wife has of course met wives and girlfriends of friends of mine who have a past in the bar world, but even when they mention / warn her that 'there are a lot of bars', it doesn't begin to describe what goes on there. And I've been very successful in sticking to the respectable parts of town, so really it's just like any other place really.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai