Coming From U.s. With One-way Ticket...

My plan is eventually to start working teaching english, but could not be employed for possibly several months. So, it looks like my best bet is to apply for a tourist visa before I go, then get a work permit once I have a job. (Does that seem right?)

I am also coming in with a one-way ticket from the United States and it looks like people have had trouble with that before (i.e. needing to show means of departure).. so how can I acquire the tourist visa this way?

My plan is eventually to start working teaching english, but could not be employed for possibly several months. So, it looks like my best bet is to apply for a tourist visa before I go, then get a work permit once I have a job. (Does that seem right?)

I am also coming in with a one-way ticket from the United States and it looks like people have had trouble with that before (i.e. needing to show means of departure).. so how can I acquire the tourist visa this way?

When i went the airline wouldnt let this guy board from lax cause he a one way !

When i went the airline wouldnt let this guy board from lax cause he a one way !

That is the usual thing. An outbound ticket or a visa is the way to go.

Ok, let me see if I understand correctly. The only way to get the tourist visa is to have an outbound ticket? The reason I ask is because I don't know exactly when I am coming back (1, 2 years?).

Edited by copil

Ok, let me see if I understand correctly. The only way to get the tourist visa is to have an outbound ticket? The reason I ask is because I don't know exactly when I am coming back (1, 2 years?).

Me thinks you don't understand. You should be able to get a visa (ie tourist visa) in the US without any airline ticket. What people are telling you is that you should be able to travel on a one way ticket if you have a visa. If you don't have a visa and plan to enter Thailand using the 30 day on arrival, then the airline will probably not let you board without a roundtrip ticket.

Me thinks you don't understand. You should be able to get a visa (ie tourist visa) in the US without any airline ticket. What people are telling you is that you should be able to travel on a one way ticket if you have a visa. If you don't have a visa and plan to enter Thailand using the 30 day on arrival, then the airline will probably not let you board without a roundtrip ticket.

:o

As said - get visa then travel.

Part II will require a non immigrant visa before you can obtain a work permit - so find job - exit country with paperwork to obtain non immigrant visa - return - process work permit - extend visa stay - extend work permit to match (assuming you meet the requirements for extension of visa stay).

As said - get visa then travel.

Part II will require a non immigrant visa before you can obtain a work permit - so find job - exit country with paperwork to obtain non immigrant visa - return - process work permit - extend visa stay - extend work permit to match (assuming you meet the requirements for extension of visa stay).

Can Copil not apply within Thailand for a change of visa status from Tourist to Non-immigrant? This would make it easier to go and fetch a possibly missing paper than if he applied, for example, in Penang, considering the stricter requirements now being applied by embassies and consulates.

Can Copil not apply within Thailand for a change of visa status from Tourist to Non-immigrant? This would make it easier to go and fetch a possibly missing paper than if he applied, for example, in Penang, considering the stricter requirements now being applied by embassies and consulates.

I'm pretty sure that it's been previously posted that the paperwork required for making such a visa change within Thailand far outweighs any paperwork that Penang may be requiring these days. :o

For those with there ducks in a row (including deploma) the change can be made with a fee of 2,000 baht. The below is for teachers:

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA STATUS ALTERATION. (NON-:o

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

To be a teacher in a government school or university.

A letter from the rector of university, requesting visa status alteration.

A letter from the department concerned under the Ministry of Education or in the case of lower academic levels, a letter from the governor, requesting for visa or visa status alteration.

A letter of employment and a copy of employment contract.

Diploma and Resume of the applicant.

To be a teacher in a private school or university.

A letter from the rector of university, requesting for visa or visa status alteration.

A letter from the department concerned under the Ministry of Education or in the case of lower academic levels, a letter from the governor, requesting visa or visa status alteration.

A letter of employment and a copy of employment contract.

Diploma and Resume of the applicant.

A certified copy of the registration papers of the educational institution.

A certifed copy of the license of the school or university administrator.

Remarks

The Applicant must sign every page of application.

Document of the university or private school must be certified by the proper authority.

The visa applicant must arrange the documents in proper order and must prepare the originals as proof.

Call 02-2873101-10 ext.2237 for details.

I'm pretty sure that it's been previously posted that the paperwork required for making such a visa change within Thailand far outweighs any paperwork that Penang may be requiring these days. :o

In that case, it’s obviously better to head for Penang.

----------------

Maestro

One gets the impression for the list of paperwork requirements for such a visa change that there is no genuine desire on the part of the powers-that-be to grant such a change. Nevertheless, if one really really wants to run the paperchase... :o

One gets the impression for the list of paperwork requirements for such a visa change that there is no genuine desire on the part of the powers-that-be to grant such a change. :o

Why should there be?

Well... if there's truly no desire to make this type of visa change internally, why not simply tell people that they need to go outside the country and apply for a new visa?

My plan .......I am also coming in with a one-way ticket from the United States............

Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

I have been following a lot of threads recently on the subject of the requirement for onward tickets.

Do not have a visa. IATA recommend deny boarding

Have visa. No requirement for onward or return ticket. Some embassies such as Japan or Korea require show return ticket because of risk of their nationals overstaying but IATA regs do not advise airlines to deny boarding. CWL Cardiff international will refuse boarding to any person who does not possess visa following break of diplomatic relations

First off, thanks for all the help so far...

I'm browsing around on the Thai Consulate website in L.A. and it shows that a copy of an airline ticket showing into and out of Thailiand is required for the 3 month tourist visa...

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-tourist.htm

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

thats what i needed to get a longer stay visa , tourist visa, with out it i couldnt get a longer stay

First off, thanks for all the help so far...

I'm browsing around on the Thai Consulate website in L.A. and it shows that a copy of an airline ticket showing into and out of Thailiand is required for the 3 month tourist visa...

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-tourist.htm

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Indeed it looks like they do want to see a copy of tickets or itinerary for a Tourist Visa.

"Tourist visa.................. US $25.00 per entry for pleasure purpose only. (require copy airline ticket or itenery)

(Maximum stay 60 day, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.)"

I didn't need it for a Non O Visa.

Just a thought, but you might just "book" a roundtrip flight on the internet and print out the itinerary. Seems like it would work ok that way.

I downloaded the application for the retirement visa O-A from the thai consulate site in L.A. It says for single entry only, no multible-entries and I would like to do a bit of traveling a few times a year, will this be a problem? How do I deposit the 800,000 in a thai bank with a 30 day visa only?

thanks

Edited by jimmys

I downloaded the application for the retirement visa O-A from the thai consulate site in L.A. It says for single entry only, no multible-entries and I would like to do a bit of traveling a few times a year, will this be a problem? How do I deposit the 800,000 in a thai bank with a 30 day visa only?

thanks

With an O-A visa you will be granted a one year stay on arrival at Bangkok airport. You need to TT the 800,000 to a bank in Thailand prior to next years extension in Thailand. If you plan to travel out of Thailand regularly you need to apply for a multiple re-entry permit from Thai Immigration. The fee for that multi permit is 3800 baht.