Greek Visa For Thai Lady

I and the tribe will be going to Greece around Christmas time. Kids carry U.K. passports no problems however the,''Old Trout,''Gawd bless 'er being a Thai needs a visa.

I have been receiving conflicting reports concerning the requirements so I thought perhaps a plea for advice here might well be a better idea as no doubt there are folks who've had practical experience concerning the requirements.

The sojourn in Greece will be around 18 days. Staying with a family member in Crete.

Any information gratefully accepted, tried the Greek Embassy and they were a trifle vague about the matter..

Thanks in anticipation of someone having the relevant knowledge about this matter

She will need a Schengen visa which she obtains from the Greek embassy. See here.

Note that as she is the spouse of an EU citizen and traveling with that EU citizen (you) then many of the requirements wont apply to her, so read it, and the application form, carefully.

Moved to visas and migration to other countries.

• Like 1

Staying with families usually requires also an invitation letter from the host family signed by the police authority.

This is one of the requirements which wont apply to her as she is the spouse of an EU citizen traveling with her spouse.

Staying with families usually requires also an invitation letter from the host family signed by the police authority.

This is one of the requirements which wont apply to her as she is the spouse of an EU citizen traveling with her spouse.

Well, usually the problem arises from the fact that there is no hotel booking. I encountered same problem travelling with my wife to Germany visiting my parents who lived there at that time (and I am Greek), so go figure :>

If you encountered problems, you shouldn't have.

From the Greek application form

The fields marked with * shall not be filled in by family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens (spouse, child or dependent ascendant) while exercising their right to free movement. Family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens shall present documents to prove this relationship and fill in fields no 34 and 35.

All the questions regarding accommodation etc. are marked *.

The Europa site does say

Applying for a visa

If your non-EU family members need an entry visa, they should apply for one in advance from the consulate or embassy of the country they wish to travel to. Their application should be processed quickly and free of charge.

Countries which are members of the passport-free Schengen area should deliver visas within 15 days except in rare and duly justified cases.

In all the other countries - Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom - visas should also be delivered as quickly as possible.

The documents that your non-EU family member needs to apply for a visa may vary from country to country. Before travelling to another country, contact the consulate or embassy of that country to find out what documents your non-EU family members must submit with their visa application.

You will see from that page that stictly speaking she does not need a visa at all, she could simply present herself at the border with proof that she is married to and travelling with an EU citizen.

However, the hassles and delays that this could involve make, in my opinion, obtaining a visa worthwhile.