Extended/Mega/Space/Doublecab Rear "Seat" Space?

This cab style certainly seems to have a lot of names! What I would like to know is which NEW truck of this type has the most back space, with the most comfortable bench "seat"or the possibility of fitting a more comfortable bench and back in place of what is there?

I know that there are no seatbelt anchors, but these could be easily added. I know that these trucks are not officially designed for rear passengers, but they are a lot cheaper than the full 4 door "car with a bed on the back to evade purchase tax" type and we all know that most carry passengers in the rear. Basicallty I just want to know which is (or could be made to be) be the most comfortable for occasional rear passengers. Space is what really matters; it would be easy to have bespoke seats made for not very much...

Thanks for your help.

PS I know that legally these are n0t made to carry rear passengers, blah de blah... This is Thailand...

Best thing to do IMO is go to showroom dealers or a large sencondhand dealer and see for yourself.smile.png

Thanks - it's certainly looking that way! unsure.png

How about anyone who uses any of these extended cab type pickups. What are your experiences? Have you been able to fit seatbelts or make the "bench" seat any more comfortable?

unsure.png

How about anyone who uses any of these extended cab type pickups. What are your experiences? Have you been able to fit seatbelts or make the "bench" seat any more comfortable?

Had "back seats" fitted in my Strada megacab. Done by a Carryboy fitter in Chiang Mai. Even used cloth upholstery to match the front seats :)

unsure.png

Had "back seats" fitted in my Strada megacab. Done by a Carryboy fitter in Chiang Mai. Even used cloth upholstery to match the front seats smile.png

Excellent! And how did that work out? Are they comfortable enough for normal sized adults, or is it strictly kids only?

I don't suppose you have any photos that you could share do you? Please! smile.png

post-99758-0-48409300-1341991985_thumb.j

post-99758-0-31923600-1341991972_thumb.j

Sorry about the photo quality, old mobile camera in poor light.....

The seats bases can tip forward to allow access to storage space underneath. Good enough for normal size adult.

Edited by MESmith

My Mitsubishi Triton I got did come with a backseat. I am large 6'2" 189 cm and 100 kg. Kinda small for me but my wife,daughter, and the grandmother have done several cross country trips back there without complaint. they do have mounts for seat belts but in Thailand I am told are not required so are not included to save on cost. in some export countires they come standard with the seat belts and I could order them locally if I wanted. My teen daughter love it back there alone because she often lays down and sleeps for hours

post-99758-0-48409300-1341991985_thumb.j

post-99758-0-31923600-1341991972_thumb.j

Sorry about the photo quality, old mobile camera in poor light.....

The seats bases can tip forward to allow access to storage space underneath. Good enough for normal size adult.

Great - thank you so much for sharing the photos and info; much appreciated. At least I know it is doable then...

My Mitsubishi Triton I got did come with a backseat. I am large 6'2" 189 cm and 100 kg. Kinda small for me but my wife,daughter, and the grandmother have done several cross country trips back there without complaint. they do have mounts for seat belts but in Thailand I am told are not required so are not included to save on cost. in some export countires they come standard with the seat belts and I could order them locally if I wanted. My teen daughter love it back there alone because she often lays down and sleeps for hours

Just take into account that if you're talking about a 2 door truck insurance will be limited to 2 passengers and driver.

Just take into account that if you're talking about a 2 door truck insurance will be limited to 2 passengers and driver.

What does this actually mean? In most moderate car accidents the claim relates to the vehicle. If there was a serious accident and my family members in the back were injured does it mean that they couldn't claim on their medical insurance? We are all insured (medically). Would that be invalidated?

What does this actually mean? In most moderate car accidents the claim relates to the vehicle. If there was a serious accident and my family members in the back were injured does it mean that they couldn't claim on their medical insurance? We are all insured (medically). Would that be invalidated?

You would have to check your policy and see if it states somewhere that you have to adhere to the law. If such a condition is present, driving with more people than allowed would invalidate your medical insurance. If such a conditions is not present the car insurance won't pay out for personal injury. This means that if health insurance is insufficient the car insurance won't be of any help.

Plus of course there won't be a fixed payment in case of death or other permanent injury.

My comprehensive insurance covers 1 driver, 4 passengers. Strada Megacab.

Have you had the car reregistered to 5 seats (so white/black plates)?

• Like 1

Nope. The blue book states the correct amount of passengers, 2. The insurance states 4.

Nope. The blue book states the correct amount of passengers, 2. The insurance states 4.

In which case they won't pay.

strange reply from someone who drives around with virtually no insurance, ready to do a runner if he's involved in an accident.

why wont they pay? do you have inside knowledge of how many passengers I carry?

Breaking the law invalidates your insurance.

If you have 4 people in a vehicle that the government has licensed for two, you are breaking the law.

(Same as drink driving, driver not having a license, bald tyres, etc.)

But don't believe me if you prefer not to, no skin off my nose.

In which case they won't pay.

strange reply from someone who drives around with virtually no insurance, ready to do a runner if he's involved in an accident.

In the case of an accident, passengers making a claim, witnesses or the police will officially ascertain the number of passengers. If you break the covenants of your insurance, then obviously the insurance Will have good grounds to refuse paying.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Strange. Can either be a mistake from the insurance company or they can't be bothered.

Be prepared though that in case you need insurance for 4 people you may be in for a surprise.