Cambodians Say They Still Hate Thais

george

A YEAR AFTER THE RIOT

Cambodians say they still 'hate' Thais

Media, textbooks still fan intolerance

A year after the rioting in Cambodia, which saw the Thai embassy and businesses torched on Jan 29, 2003, many Thais living here still do not feel safe. What's more, they feel things will never be the same again.

"We feel unsafe here now," said one Thai woman who has lived in Phnom Penh for more than 10 years. "Vendors in the market do not look at me the same way. We used to share jokes together but now they look at me oddly, no more shared laughter."

Thais feel things have changed since they first came to this country.

"I keep two long wooden bludgeons as weapons in my car wherever I go, just in case unrest erupts again. Many local people here know I'm Thai," said another long-time Thai resident.

Ironically, the feeling of Cambodians towards Thais remains the same _ hatred. That stems from biased history textbooks that they learn at school and unsubstantiated but widespread reports in the Cambodian media about alleged killings and repatriation of Cambodian nationals.

Last year the Thai government campaigned to get rid of homeless Cambodians who had taken up begging.

Sam Rany, 21, a fourth-year student at the Royal University of Law and Economics, said he did not like Thais even before the riot.

"I learned at high school that Thailand had defeated Cambodia and took our land."

Thailand is mentioned in Cambodian textbooks more than Vietnam even though Vietnam sent troops into Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge regime.

El Chhinh, 26, a fourth-year student at Norton University in Phnom Penh, said he started hating Thais in 1995 when border disputes intensified and Thai authorities were alleged to have beaten Cambodians at the border.

"I hate Thais but not all of them because I know every country has both good and bad people," he said. "But I feel uncomfortable to hear news about Thai authorities killing Cambodian people. I'd like the countries to respect each other."

Reports that Thai actress Suwanan (Kob) Kongying said Angkor Wat belonged to Thailand, which touched off the riots, penetrated the psyche of many people, parking security guards, market vendors, even school janitors.

Ouk Sokal, 20, a guard at Bak Touk high school in Phnom Penh, admitted he is still upset by Ms Kob's alleged remarks.

The actress denied making them and the newspaper which carried them said later they were fabricated. "We often hear about the way Thais mistreat Cambodians at the border. The governments should enter talks," Ouk Sokal said.

--Bangkok Post 2004-01-29

Maybey it has also something to do with the Thai's supporting the khmer rouge in that time, in exchange for these nice red rubbies and some beatifull old teak trees so the pol-pot gang get some old used weapens to kill the locals.

Maybey it has also something to do with the Thai's supporting the khmer rouge in that time, in exchange for these nice red rubbies and some beatifull old teak trees so the pol-pot gang get some old used weapens to kill the locals.

FYI, China, UK, and USA also covertly supported Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in the late 80s and early 90s, for not better reason than he was in opposition to the communist Vietnamese forces. Britain sent SAS forces to train Khmer Rouge guerrillas in anti-personnel mine laying and even took some to Malaysia for training. Sad, but true.