Thai Buddhism Is What It Is

camerata

@Rocky I think Ajahn Chah was at such a high level that whatever he did was right for him, but not necessarily for another practitioner.

Anyway, as I said, I don't see monks as realistic all-round role models for the laity. A clean-living movie star might be better - someone involved in the hassle of daily life who can remain morally grounded.

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several.You mentioned in a post,that you "do intend to quit (again)" Smoking,that is.Bear with me,when I will tell you how I managed to do it after thousands of failed attemt.Perhaps it also will shed some light over my previous posts.My father got fed up beeing beaten and left home 13 year old.Started work in a factory.When he was 35,he was in an accident and lost his right leg above the knee.Couple of years later,his young wife,my mother,died of cancer,and he was left with 3 small children,which he singelhanded cared for.All the time,and all his life,he never missed a day in his workplace and he never,ever complained.He made it all seem so easy...Now to my point; I asked him once,how he could manage all this and he told me,that already when he left his home,he started to train his thoughts.Sometimes he tried to keep the same thought for a long time,sometimes the opposite,to keep his brain "emty",with no thoughts at all.So,everytime some bad,unwellcome thoughts entered his brain,he just dismissed them;didn`t let them take root. With this in mind,one day,when again I wanted to quit smoking,I used this method,and to my amazement,it worked! It is now 35 years ago,and I never,even once,missed it (the smoking)I am not saying,that this is for everybody,but this method,of controlling your thoughts,has helped me in many difficult situations.Perhaps this story can inspire somebody.

Several.You mentioned in a post,that you "do intend to quit (again)" Smoking,that is.Bear with me,when I will tell you how I managed to do it after thousands of failed attemt.Perhaps it also will shed some light over my previous posts.My father got fed up beeing beaten and left home 13 year old.Started work in a factory.When he was 35,he was in an accident and lost his right leg above the knee.Couple of years later,his young wife,my mother,died of cancer,and he was left with 3 small children,which he singelhanded cared for.All the time,and all his life,he never missed a day in his workplace and he never,ever complained.He made it all seem so easy...Now to my point; I asked him once,how he could manage all this and he told me,that already when he left his home,he started to train his thoughts.Sometimes he tried to keep the same thought for a long time,sometimes the opposite,to keep his brain "emty",with no thoughts at all.So,everytime some bad,unwellcome thoughts entered his brain,he just dismissed them;didn`t let them take root. With this in mind,one day,when again I wanted to quit smoking,I used this method,and to my amazement,it worked! It is now 35 years ago,and I never,even once,missed it (the smoking)I am not saying,that this is for everybody,but this method,of controlling your thoughts,has helped me in many difficult situations.Perhaps this story can inspire somebody.

I had a similar experience. I couldn't quit smoking. I tried every evening to quit, but sooner or later I smoked the next day, then told myself I would quit again "tomorrow". Anyways, I was reading Freedom From the Known by Krishnamurti and he described a dying to memories, and I got the idea of dying to smoking. I imagined myself dying to the urge to smoke, and I didn't let this urge become established, even if it popped into my mind.

After the mental and physical habit portion was overcome, in a couple of weeks, I had to develop a permanent hating of smoking in order to make quitting permanent.

I will never forget the quote in this book by Krishnamurti "Freedom from the known is death, and then you are living." It wasn't this quote that inspired me, but the discussion just prior to it.

For what it's worth...I'm not sure the moderator wants this to turn into a stop smoking forum...but I wanted to add my experience to the prior post, and I am of the opinion that Krishnamurti was Buddha-like, at the least

• Like 1

Thank you for that Bosse. I was wondering about the history behind your comments. Your father had a hard life indeed. And I always admire a fighter. In relationship to life in a Wat it can be difficult to quit. Well meaning people bring you a carton of cigarettes as Tawaai (I gave the last one away but the other monks just gave me cigarettes in return later.), Thai laugh openly at you for trying (though they laugh at everything, as you probably know), and my teacher says 'don't bother trying, it's too hard!' (but he says that about most things). So the environment isn't too helpful. But I gave up a lot of other nastier 'indulgences' and I have heard someone say something very simmilar to you before. I can quiet my mind, I have had plenty of practice, so I promise you and my lungs I will quit soon. ish.

Coming from a literary background of Buddhism as most westerners do, the reality of Thai Sassana is a shock. Many Thai men from totally different backgrounds ordain for various lengths of time. I have met majors and colonels, police, secret service, gangsters, drug dealers, managers and layabouts. Some are serious practitioners and some are just 'doing their time' as all Thai men are expected to ordain at some point in their life. So you will see a colourful variety of behaviour in the Sangha.

I actually feel that the west could gain from this part of Thai culture. Its better than military service or prison. Young men are exposed to discpline, calm problem solving and the wisdom of my elder brothers who have seen hundreds of monks pass through these gates and who have the experience to guide them.

So please, forgive the behaviour of the short-time Monks. It takes a long time to get Samsara out of your system even in robes. The long term bad apples usually get weeded out in the end and they will have to pay (Kammic debt collection) for their behaviour in time and future lives.

I believe your intentions are good and ultimately that can only be of benefit.

Sadhu.

I actually feel that the west could gain from this part of Thai culture. Its better than military service or prison. Young men are exposed to discpline, calm problem solving and the wisdom of my elder brothers who have seen hundreds of monks pass through these gates and who have the experience to guide them.

Excellent point. I recently went to an upcountry ordination and it was easy to see how the relationship between son and parents is strengthened by the experience, in addition to the benefits you mentioned.

To Several and others;thanks for an interesting "discussion"! I must say,that I now have a more positiv view of monks,thanks to you! I will probably leave you to go on without me,since I feel,that I do not have much more to contribute.

Excellent point. I recently went to an upcountry ordination and it was easy to see how the relationship between son and parents is strengthened by the experience, in addition to the benefits you mentioned.

I agree but look how the Western family dynamics has changed over the past couple of generations from the traditional nucleolus to what (in the UK at least) almost verges on dysfunctional. How many families sit down together at the same time and talk to each other while eating? Too many distractions and not enough love. Sure the Thai culture is a shock for pretty much every westerner when first arriving and some parts of it still make me incredibly sad BUT they have that basic, fundamental bond that's so lacking in general in the western world.

To Several and others;thanks for an interesting "discussion"! I must say,that I now have a more positiv view of monks,thanks to you! I will probably leave you to go on without me,since I feel,that I do not have much more to contribute.

I actually don't agree @Bosse137 you have certainly stimulated a topic I am sure @Camerata knew would cause an interesting debate. I am sure you have given @Several some inspiration to help him stop smoking AND have had an insight to what its like being a foreign Monk in Thailand. I think you should stick around......

Absolutely Para. I was of the same opinion as Bosse when I first arrived in Thailand. So I'm guessing many farangs feel the way you do. Remember a lot of people read these posts but never comment. And I for one found value in your input.

Absolutely Para. I was of the same opinion as Bosse when I first arrived in Thailand. So I'm guessing many farangs feel the way you do. Remember a lot of people read these posts but never comment. And I for one found value in your input.

I guess for me personally I saw the worst Thailand had to offer as I landed here way back in 2003 and went straight to Pattaya without knowing anyone that had even been there let alone who lived there. For a good South London boy I thought I knew what was what but was I to learn some serious lessons. I spent over 8 years in Pattaya and didn't just see but was part of the good, bad and VERY ugly. My views and opinions changed dramatically as time went on and my initial take on the place changed so much something that would never of happened if I hadn't lived there. Now I am ordained my laity views on Monks has also changed. Knowledge is power and the more you know the better positioned you are to make a accurate call on it.

The joy of the Buddhist section of TV is that Buddhism make you realize the way forward is the eradication of the ego so people can post comments and opinions with no fighting trying to force their opinion on everyone.

So @Bossee137 isn't a Monk but he has admitted that through this thread he is better able to understand what being a Monk in Thailand is really like so for me that alone makes this thread invaluable.

We need people to question our actions so we can access them ourselves and see the possible virtue of the opinion.

@Camerata knew he was posting a fire storm at the time but it never got out of hand and i don't see anywhere a Mod has had to edit or remove a post so its been a constructive discussion.

• Like 1

Over the years we've had many complaints about Thai Buddhism, monks, and "Thais who are supposed to be good Buddhists." Mostly it was just people judging according to Western standards or their own personal idea of how things should be. What I wanted to get across was that if one has to judge, one should at least do it from the perspective of the "consumer" of the religion - the average Thai.

Several's post reminded me of a topic started by a member a couple of years ago. He had passed a temple and seen some abandoned puppies with a monk sitting nearby. He wanted to know why the monk didn't DO SOMETHING. After all he was a monk and "monks are supposed to be compassionate." But the member himself did nothing, as I recall.

Other than specific news stories about misbehaving monks, I think monks smoking is the most common complaint. But I'll bet this is coming from non-smokers and former smokers who feel a bit superior.

• Like 1

I'm still only half way through The Lovelorn Ghost and the Magical Monk (highly recommended, BTW) and the author has mentioned that some scholars refer to practices that I had called "animism" (amulets, images, tattoos, mantras, yantras, etc) as Tantric Theravada or Esoteric Theravada. He himself seems to prefer the less classy term, "protective magic," but agrees it is a de facto part of Thai Buddhism.

The author of The Ascendancy of Theravada Buddhism in Southeast Asia said something similar: that what we have in Thailand is "Thai Buddhism" rather than "Theravada Buddhism."

I wonder if any of the phra farang here have chanted any non-canonical parittas, such as the popular Jinapanjara Gatha, made famous by Somdet To?

I'm still only half way through The Lovelorn Ghost and the Magical Monk (highly recommended, BTW) and the author has mentioned that some scholars refer to practices that I had called "animism" (amulets, images, tattoos, mantras, yantras, etc) as Tantric Theravada or Esoteric Theravada. He himself seems to prefer the less classy term, "protective magic," but agrees it is a de facto part of Thai Buddhism.

The author of The Ascendancy of Theravada Buddhism in Southeast Asia said something similar: that what we have in Thailand is "Thai Buddhism" rather than "Theravada Buddhism."

I wonder if any of the phra farang here have chanted any non-canonical parittas, such as the popular Jinapanjara Gatha, made famous by Somdet To?

@Camerata I have just looked this book up and was amazed at the price of it! Does it justify the cost?

I would agree that Thailand has its own version of Buddhism one where Amulets, Sak Yants, etc are a part of everyday life and I feel its something that just has to be accepted. I had quite a large Sak Yant done many years ago but an invisible one. I have the pictures after to 'prove' its protection but they are quite graphic so might PM it to @Camerata first to get sign off.

As for the different chants I ave problems remembering the daily ones so in my case no I haven't chanted anything out of the norm!

Well, I wouldn't pay $60 for it. The Amazon Kindle version is $28.39 and the Bangkok Kinokuniya non-member price is 935 baht. It's a very interesting book if you want to know about Thai Buddhism as practised today by most Thais, with a special emphasis on Somdet To and Mae Nak (the ghost).

Camerata remember 1000BT for a Monk is a lot of money!

I was introduced to Buddhism through Amulets and stuff I felt and saw when in contact with some so for me I am VERY open to the power they contain. I know most know them as trinkets but each to their own I know what I have seen.....

Will make a note of the book though as it looks interesting......

Thank you for that Bosse. I was wondering about the history behind your comments. Your father had a hard life indeed. And I always admire a fighter. In relationship to life in a Wat it can be difficult to quit. Well meaning people bring you a carton of cigarettes as Tawaai (I gave the last one away but the other monks just gave me cigarettes in return later.), Thai laugh openly at you for trying (though they laugh at everything, as you probably know), and my teacher says 'don't bother trying, it's too hard!' (but he says that about most things). So the environment isn't too helpful. But I gave up a lot of other nastier 'indulgences' and I have heard someone say something very simmilar to you before. I can quiet my mind, I have had plenty of practice, so I promise you and my lungs I will quit soon. ish.

Coming from a literary background of Buddhism as most westerners do, the reality of Thai Sassana is a shock. Many Thai men from totally different backgrounds ordain for various lengths of time. I have met majors and colonels, police, secret service, gangsters, drug dealers, managers and layabouts. Some are serious practitioners and some are just 'doing their time' as all Thai men are expected to ordain at some point in their life. So you will see a colourful variety of behaviour in the Sangha.

Several.

I earlier suggested you find another teacher due to your current teachers suggestion that you continue smoking due to the difficulty in giving up.

I've got to work on my mindfulness and pose issues in question form rather than appearing to advise/tell/order.

What I should have said was: "Given your teachers suggestion for you not to give up smoking due to its difficulty, what are your thoughts in terms of his suitability to guide you on your Buddhist path?"

I'd also like to encourage Bosse with his posting.

Bosse helped flush out a few issues and stimulated valuable discussion from all.

Edited by rockyysdt

Something I'd like to know is why do Thai Monks sit papiyap with one leg out to the side rather than padmasana. Also the monks here believe Buddha wore a Sankati, but I'm not so sure. Can anybody 'enlighten' me?

At a retreat I attended recently the program coordinator was lecturing on sitting postures.

After explaining the various positions and possibilities he confided that the Ajahn now prefers to sit in the position you describe.

Later, the lecturing British Monk indicated that he now chooses this position as well.

He, like all good Monks, worked towards and achieved full lotus but at the expense of his health.

He ended up with a permanently damaged knee and rupturing along his legs.

After some research on sitting, my understanding is that as long as one achieves a posture which is stable (three pointed) and with ones body resiliantly upright and at one with gravity (not fighting against gravity) then it's acceptable.

I've come to the conclusion that sitting full lotus is mostly about culture and image.

The Buddha is depected, in most statues, sitting full lotus.

Culturally, Eastern and Asian people sat cross legged on the floor from infancy.

This created a natural suppleness which lends itself to the formal Buddhist sitting position.

The pressure to conform along with the false view that lotus is the only way to enlightenment fuels this age old custom.

I found it refreshing to see senior Monks, grappling with old age and with physical inabilities to contort their bodies, are becoming more flexible in their practice and in their views.

If one can adopt the full lotus position without severe issues, then it's definitely a very stable and ideal posture.

Personally I wouldn't like to spend years obsessing over and developing a posture for the purpose of conformity, when I could have been using this valuable resource getting on with the 16 steps on anapanasiti.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Something I'd like to know is why do Thai Monks sit papiyap with one leg out to the side rather than padmasana. Also the monks here believe Buddha wore a Sankati, but I'm not so sure. Can anybody 'enlighten' me?

I do notice though that most sit half-lotus while meditating, or the posture seen very much in Thai Buddha images.

I had the same question as well, and was told by one of the monks that it is considered 'demerit' if sitting any other way. Of course I had to ask why, and of course he was unable to answer.

I think it has to do with the culture. After going to many different schools (don't know the equivalent in Thai) and many functions, I notice that the kids sit that way from a very young age, and take it with them throughout life.

I think the important thing is having a posture you yourself can deem 'respectable' and suitable for centering your mind while meditating. At the current temple I do not hesitate for a second to break out the chairs for the older men and women who come to chant and meditate.

On a side note, one of the monks I met in Samut Prakan told me that ones body will get used to it after a while, something like the structure of the capillaries and veins change (at Wat Asokaram there is usually 1 hour meditation after evening chant or funeral chants for Aajahn Lee). So I began to take on both positions (leg to the side and half lotus) and sure enough, it's like second nature now.

As for the double-robe, I don't dare speak of that anymore lol. It suits me just fine sewing them, though.

Lol. Yes, another of the great unmentionables. I have other questions that get frowned on too. Ah well. I don't mind the posture, it gives relief to my aching knees to change around from half lotus fter a while, I just can't find any precedent for it. I thought it might be swastika pose but no. Mysteries of Thai Buddhism.

Hallo again! Happy to see your communication goes on! I do not want to interfear with it,although I must admit,that me too have some issues with the sittingposition.Of course,not beeing a monk,I do not care about what is considered "correct",rather which one is most efficient in my situation.. I just want to tell you,that,when having the time,I use to go "on tour" with my bicycle.Reason for telling you that;if any of you reside not too far from Chumpae (between Kon Kaen/Chayaphum),and don`t mind a short visit by me,please let me know! "Not too far from" means not more than about 200-300 km away. You can contact me via TV or direct here.Also people,following this thred passively are wellcome to contact me.Coming to think of it,also somebody more far away is wellcome;sometimes I make very long trips.PS,I do not expect to be acommedated in any way,just have a nice conversation...

Lol. Yes, another of the great unmentionables. I have other questions that get frowned on too. Ah well. I don't mind the posture, it gives relief to my aching knees to change around from half lotus fter a while, I just can't find any precedent for it. I thought it might be swastika pose but no. Mysteries of Thai Buddhism.

+1

I screwed my left knee up in the gym many years ago and struggle with sitting on the floor statioinary for any length of time. I meditate sitting on a chair which I know doesn't conform but IMO meditation is about the act not looking the part.....

• Like 1

Many years ago I went to meditation sessions in Bangkok and then Nakhon Sritamerat.

There was a farang monk whose name I sadly cannot recall who told me something that has stayed with me.

Statues of Buddah are like the are because they show him in the normal act of sitting in the fashion of the time. He stated he sometimes wished that there more statues from real life..even sitting on a toilet as it is not how you sit that is relevant to how you meditate.

Customs and practices based on them are just that.

@Bosse; good man. Glad to see you back. Sadly I think I'm a fair way from where you are. In fact I'm a fair way from where anyone is. But keep posting. It always provokes thinking about what you're really doing when you hear the opinion of another.

@Para, as usual I agree. My first monastery expected all monks to appear at 5 o'clock to go and meditate with the yogis at the hall. Felt it was a bit like being put in an exhibit and I was more aware of not walking into or disturbing others than focused on my meditation subject. Of course if I kept to my Kuti I was therefore 'sleeping'. Stalemate.

Many years ago I went to meditation sessions in Bangkok and then Nakhon Sritamerat.

There was a farang monk whose name I sadly cannot recall who told me something that has stayed with me.

Statues of Buddah are like the are because they show him in the normal act of sitting in the fashion of the time. He stated he sometimes wished that there more statues from real life..even sitting on a toilet as it is not how you sit that is relevant to how you meditate.

Customs and practices based on them are just that.

Well, its a very old fashion. Seals from the Indus Valley civilisation date back 3 to 5 thousand years showing individuals seated this way. It seems to have been in constant use up to the present day. Statues of Buddha are based on Greek sculptures and always show a beautiful and youthful appearance, probably coming from Indian connections with Bactria (Afghanistan) which was under Greek rule after Alexander. It would be more realistic to see some imagery of Buddha as an old man as much of his teaching came in later life finally ending when he was 80. His reasoning behind the pose seems to be mostly that once comfortable with it the position is the most stable for long periods of meditation. But you are right, it is comfort and what feels natural that counts.

And all that without ince referring to 'I'!

dam_n.

Edited by Several

+1

I screwed my left knee up in the gym many years ago and struggle with sitting on the floor statioinary for any length of time. I meditate sitting on a chair which I know doesn't conform but IMO meditation is about the act not looking the part.....

My right knee is damaged and I gave up on sitting half-lotus to sit on a chair also. However, I can put my left leg up on the chair very comfortably, keeping my right foot on the floor. It gives the added tripod feeling without the pain in the right knee. It's more stable than plain chair-sitting IMO.

@Bosse; good man. Glad to see you back. Sadly I think I'm a fair way from where you are. In fact I'm a fair way from where anyone is. But keep posting. It always provokes thinking about what you're really doing when you hear the opinion of another.

@Para, as usual I agree. My first monastery expected all monks to appear at 5 o'clock to go and meditate with the yogis at the hall. Felt it was a bit like being put in an exhibit and I was more aware of not walking into or disturbing others than focused on my meditation subject. Of course if I kept to my Kuti I was therefore 'sleeping'. Stalemate.

I agree Bosse should hang around his comments while maybe slightly off the mark are at least thought provoking and he has the maturity to listern and join in.

@Several - My temple is really odd we used to have morning and evening chanting but that's not happened for a couple of months now. Really confused as to what to do about things but thankfully Hookedondhamma has offered a lot of insight to my concerns. You bad Farang Monk sleeping in your kuti while all the others are joining in lol! At the end of the day you know what you are doing and because you choose to not join the the other Monks as long as you are doing something Dhamma related at the same time and are happy then whats the problem.......

@Huli - I had the pleasure of meeting a truly great meditation master Phra Bhattharapong Songsangwon. His English is perfect and he is the Abbot of a Thai Buddhist Temple in America and teaches around the world.

He came to the temple and gave a talk to a room full of Thai's explaining meditation to them. He then looked at me, smiled and asked me to stand up. For the first time ever he taught me how to properly meditate while walking. All the time talking to me in English totally indifferent of the fact I was the only one who could understand. I spoke to him after and explained about my knee and he said the only bad meditation is a missed one and that regardless of how you are sitting as long as you are comfortable you will be able to achieve the goal of entering a meditative state.

Sit comfortable, forget tradition and 'looking right' just get comfortable and allow your mind to become free....

Edited by Para

He came to the temple and gave a talk to a room full of Thai's explaining meditation to them. He then looked at me, smiled and asked me to stand up. For the first time ever he taught me how to properly meditate while walking. All the time talking to me in English totally indifferent of the fact I was the only one who could understand. I spoke to him after and explained about my knee and he said the only bad meditation is a missed one and that regardless of how you are sitting as long as you are comfortable you will be able to achieve the goal of entering a meditative state.

Sit comfortable, forget tradition and 'looking right' just get comfortable and allow your mind to become free....

This was my experience.

After persevering with my traditional posture for a number of days on retreat I made the decision to sit in a low back chair.

From this point on, rather than spending the time (could take months or years) developing an orthodox position, I was able to concentrate on what I came for, to meditate.

I moved to the rear of the group so as to not affect the view of those who were on cushions.

During periods when I'd stand or needed to adjust, I'd see many in front of me, struggling with all manner of posture obviously straining against gravity and lacking in stability.

I'm sure, many stuck out the entire retreat with rampant thought and much discomfort, but sticking to what they thought looked correct.

A number just sat looking around killing time.

This is one of Sun Luns secrets to achieving progress in meditation.

"You sit in a position which is suitable for you to sit at least 1.5 to 2 hours without moving or changing position."

Edited by rockyysdt

@rockyysdt that's what I just don't get. Because I am a Monk I face the people attending ceremonies and the such like and see people struggling with the 'expected' seated position. Remember these are Thai's that have been sitting on the floor all their life. Then us 'Westerners' come along and are expected to do the same!

I am like you when in the company of Monks. I sit at the back (doesn't stop the constant looks but its all good) and because I have to sit on the floor sit with one leg across the front and the other tucked down the side (does that make sense!) I switch sides every 20 minutes of so depending on how long it take me to not be able to feel my leg due to lack of blood!

@rockyysdt that's what I just don't get. Because I am a Monk I face the people attending ceremonies and the such like and see people struggling with the 'expected' seated position. Remember these are Thai's that have been sitting on the floor all their life. Then us 'Westerners' come along and are expected to do the same!

I am like you when in the company of Monks. I sit at the back (doesn't stop the constant looks but its all good) and because I have to sit on the floor sit with one leg across the front and the other tucked down the side (does that make sense!) I switch sides every 20 minutes of so depending on how long it take me to not be able to feel my leg due to lack of blood!

In a way I'm fortunate not to be a Monk at this time (but someting I contemplate).

Yes, your posture is becoming more popular, even amongst Thai Monks.

The only thing I'd be mindful of is the need to avoid movement for atleast 1 - 2 hours to allow unhindered concentration to develop.

At home, I have a metre square high density thick foam matress which I kneel on.

I then sit on the edge of a generously stuffed zafu cushion over the matress.

This allows a tripod posture, the knees being catered for by the high density foam and the bottom comfortably sitting on the cushions edge.

In this posture I'm able to sit up comfortably for long periods with a slight forward lean so my spine is aligned with gravity.

Circulation and pinched nerve issues are very minimal.

This is a Zen approved posture for those who have difficulty with lotus.

While away (retreats), due to difficulty with transport, I'll happily sit in a sturdy lowback sideless chair.

The meditation hall I frequent has a sand floor, so I can adjust the height of the chair to minimise cutting into the underside of my legs.

I've come to terms with the image I project doing this, as a lesson in mindfulness of ego. smile.png

Edited by rockyysdt