Enraged Pattaya Bartender Chops Up A Drunk Customer

Rimmer

No.

The point is he didn't have to almost kill the guy.

Maybe some punch up or call a few friends and kick his ass outa there.

But almost kill him.

Not !

yes he could, but he did not.

he could also stand there and wait to be shot atrolleyes.gif

the point is he did not attack for no reason and he did not kill him.

and i have no doubts the drunken idiot was abusive and was threatening.if his threats were real or not, only he knewthumbsup.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Now we know exactly who the perpetrator is. The bartender at the frozen cocktail bar named Son Khontai, located at the corner near Euro Grand Hotel in soi Bongkot , moo 9, tambon Nongprue, amphoe Banglamung, Chonburi. Time to arrest him, and charge him with attempted murder. Should be tried and convicted, and sent to prison for 20-40 years. And his family should be fined a minimum of 2,000,000 baht, paid to the victim. Certainly there may have been mitigating circumstances. But, an annoying patron can be slapped around. Not chopped up with a machete, or a large knife. This savage goon needs to spend the next 4 decades getting punished by his fellow inmates. He has no business being out on the streets, much less behind a bar. Obviously this bar is not famous for good customer service!

"Punished by his fellow inmates"? This would be a Thai prison and not a western prison.

why should staff take the abuse?

Wow... that seems like a pretty silly comment.

But I think I get it... you are just joking, right?!

not at all. staff is there to serve drinks, they are certainly not there to be a punching bag, do you think its silly to assume that? and believe staff who work in the bar are there to be abused and threatened?

Agreed the bartender is there to serve patrons and not be abused. But do you not see the ridiculously disproprotionate response? The drunk patron was verbally abusing/threatening the bartender (unless there's more to the story not included in the OP). For that he merits a knife attack to his head, neck, and arms? Holy <deleted>! What justice system do you subscribe to?!

Ok so lets think, If you are a bartender and i come in and start to abuse you, you will ignore, now i start to tell you that i am mafia and whatever and i will go to my car bring a gun and shoot you, would you still stand there and "hope" for the best?

What if i made a gesture? as in "gun gesture"?

Agreed the bartender is there to serve patrons and not be abused. But do you not see the ridiculously disproprotionate response? The drunk patron was verbally abusing/threatening the bartender (unless there's more to the story not included in the OP). For that he merits a knife attack to his head, neck, and arms? Holy <deleted>! What justice system do you subscribe to?!

Ok so lets think, If you are a bartender and i come in and start to abuse you, you will ignore, now i start to tell you that i am mafia and whatever and i will go to my car bring a gun and shoot you, would you still stand there and "hope" for the best?

Paranoia (noun): a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.

The OP said the customer was making "drunken threats". I don't recall seeing any mention of physical abuse, mafia references, "gun gestures". Sure, the bartender gets upset and a bit spooked. But to go get a 75cm knife and start hacking away at the guy?!

Stretch the Truth (verb): to say something which is not completely honest in order to make someone or something seem better or worse than it really is

Paranoia (noun): a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission.

The OP said the customer was making "drunken threats". I don't recall seeing any mention of physical abuse, mafia references, "gun gestures". Sure, the bartender gets upset and a bit spooked. But to go get a 75cm knife and start hacking away at the guy?!

Stretch the Truth (verb): to say something which is not completely honest in order to make someone or something seem better or worse than it really is

or

Perhaps you did not realize but OP is a translation and also in 3rd persons account, so you nor i have any idea the exact words used.

You will also note that OP said police were waiting to interview the drunken idiot as they also believed there was more to the story.

As for your paranoia remarks, clearly you have never worked the bar and dealt with people capable and willing to kill.

As i said earlier i have seen coworker shot in the face at point blank, i have been shot in drive-by and have also been stabbed and if you need to see the scars or police reports, you are welcome to it.

SO if on the off chance the drunken threat was real, i much rather be safe than sorry. I also suggest you read some local papers and see the amount of shootings and stabbing which take place in the thai bars, i am sure those wounded or killed also thought it was just a "drunken threat"

Perhaps you did not realize but OP is a translation and also in 3rd persons account, so you nor i have any idea the exact words used.

You will also note that OP said police were waiting to interview the drunken idiot as they also believed there was more to the story.

As for your paranoia remarks, clearly you have never worked the bar and dealt with people capable and willing to kill.

As i said earlier i have seen coworker shot in the face at point blank, i have been shot in drive-by and have also been stabbed and if you need to see the scars or police reports, you are welcome to it.

SO if on the off chance the drunken threat was real, i much rather be safe than sorry. I also suggest you read some local papers and see the amount of shootings and stabbing which take place in the thai bars, i am sure those wounded or killed also thought it was just a "drunken threat"

I recognize the limitations of the translation. But you've inserted wholesale assertions that were never suggested.

Poor man, Many bars have staff with no customer skills. They should be able to handle abuse without violence.

why should staff take the abuse?

Oh... so they shouldn't and then such brutal retaliatory attacks such as this one and shootings are fully justified?

As is the case with most Thai's in hospitality and public service postions (with the exception of 5 star resorts),.. not nearly enough training or proper staff selection are applied!

i see so the hotels and bars should train the staff to be a punching bag, so the drunken idiot can feel better about himself after spending few buck?

So what training would be suggest? perhaps something like customer is always right?

So when the idiot is standing there and calling staff pedo or whatever else under the sun, staff should agree?

or better yet when the idiot says he will come back and shoot the staff, staff should say "welcome"blink.png

no! you tell the offending customer to leave. you dont serve him. you tell him to find another bar. there are hundreds of other bars to choose from.

if you dont serve him, then he cant drink at the bar. he will find another bar.

the customer is not always right. but staff have not being taught to cage the tiger and learn how to refuse serving rowdy customers.

• Like 1

I recognize the limitations of the translation. But you've inserted wholesale assertions that were never suggested.

sorry you see it that way, i said it could have been a number of things and i also said hypothetical situation that is why i used you and myself as an example

clearly the guy was over the top, because you do not have this kind of incidents happening every day.

yes many may get bashed, but i do not think i have heard yet of a bar tender jumping the bar to cut someone up.

Do you not think something (lost in translation) was said for send him crazy?

As i said before and will say it again, having been in alike situation i am certain the idiot was threatening and using words like mafia, gang etc,

Though do not even need to have personal experience in the matter, only need to live in Thailand long enough and see Thai fights.

no! you tell the offending customer to leave. you dont serve him. you tell him to find another bar. there are hundreds of other bars to choose from.

if you dont serve him, then he cant drink at the bar. he will find another bar.

the customer is not always right. but staff have not being taught to cage the tiger and learn how to refuse serving rowdy customers.

Oh ok, and the offending customers make an apology leaves a 10 000 baht tip and peacefully walks outrolleyes.gif

Yeah, you should open a school on how to refuse serving rowdy customer and make sure to imply Western principle to a Thai societyblink.png

Have you ever dealt with a drunk, who is abusive and threatening? not behind the keyboard but in real life?reading your post, i seriously doubt it

Have you ever worked the bar and refused service to a drunk? and if you have, did you eject him yourself, or call security?

OK. Now we know exactly who the perpetrator is. The bartender at the frozen cocktail bar named Son Khontai, located at the corner near Euro Grand Hotel in soi Bongkot , moo 9, tambon Nongprue, amphoe Banglamung, Chonburi. Time to arrest him, and charge him with attempted murder. Should be tried and convicted, and sent to prison for 20-40 years. And his family should be fined a minimum of 2,000,000 baht, paid to the victim. Certainly there may have been mitigating circumstances. But, an annoying patron can be slapped around. Not chopped up with a machete, or a large knife. This savage goon needs to spend the next 4 decades getting punished by his fellow inmates. He has no business being out on the streets, much less behind a bar. Obviously this bar is not famous for good customer service!

Guess you didn't read the story.. they did arrest him, he was hiding behind the bar.

Don't feed the troll.

Every job has it's down side. When dealing with alcohol and bar type people, you can expect some trouble. If you can't stand the heat,get outta the kitchen. Ego and bravado is fueled by liquid courage and gets very ugly sometimes. It's always big mouths that get the troubles going!

Don't feed the troll.

Sorry... I clearly ate the bait on this ridiculous argument.

Threatened or not, starting to hack away at someone in a public place?

Sounds like the guy went apesh*t wacko.

Don't feed the troll.

cheesy.gif you clearly have not spent much time in Thailand, have you?rolleyes.gif

Almost every second shooting or stabbing takes place in public place, daylight with witnesses all around.

Wait for a story hit the news(should be soon) from yesterday afternoon, right next door to my house.

A thief broken into a house at 16pm, armed. Police was called, and by 17pm, my house and the soi was filled with police, on-lookers, SWAT teams and everyone else that could fit.

The thief fired shots at police- DAY LIGHT in public place, completely surrounded.

For the rest of the story, you would need to wait till it hits the press ,so stayed tuned. thumbsup.gif

Don't feed the troll.

cheesy.gif you clearly have not spent much time in Thailand, have you?rolleyes.gif

Almost every second shooting or stabbing takes place in public place, daylight with witnesses all around.

Wait for a story hit the news(should be soon) from yesterday afternoon, right next door to my house.

A thief broken into a house at 16pm, armed. Police was called, and by 17pm, my house and the soi was filled with police, on-lookers, SWAT teams and everyone else that could fit.

The thief fired shots at police- DAY LIGHT in public place, completely surrounded.

For the rest of the story, you would need to wait till it hits the press ,so stayed tuned. thumbsup.gif

I've re-read this thread and I still believe that the response of the bartender was way out of line, but you know what phl? If I had been through the experiences you've written about, I don't doubt that I might actually feel as you do. Mind you I'm not saying I agree with you, but I AM saying that it is pretty understandable how you feel. And you know what else? YOU weren't the guy weilding the knife here. You are obviously pretty upset by the whole thing, and you're fighting pretty hard to defend the bartender, but in the end you did nothing wrong here. You weren't the guy with the knife. This is just a matter of a difference opinion between TV members, none of which were there to see what really went down.

I've read enough of your past posts to see that you're a pretty level-headed guy, so maybe the take-home message from all this should be that the OP was not such a black and white story after all. Thanks for your contributions - even the few I haven't agreed with.

Just like a night in the ghetto. It sounds like some posters either grew up rough or grew up in the hardcore areas of the ghetto where violence was considered the acceptable way of communicating.

i guess not everyone comes from a remote village with population of 20 where everyone just loves each other. Some people actually grow up in the big city's with big houses, cars and crimethumbsup.gif

cheesy.gif , did you actually bother to read the the OP?

He was arrested and is being charged

Coffee???

Arrested and being charged means absolutely NOTHING in LOS. How long have you been here?How many times have you seen someone who is arrested and charged go to prison? It only happens here if one does not have enough cash to buy his way out of the crime he has committed! That is a fact.

cheesy.gif , did you actually bother to read the the OP?

He was arrested and is being charged

Coffee???

Arrested and being charged means absolutely NOTHING in LOS. How long have you been here?How many times have you seen someone who is arrested and charged go to prison? It only happens here if one does not have enough cash to buy his way out of the crime he has committed! That is a fact.

Well considering that i do not stay with people who have been charged or arrested all the way through, perhaps you can provide the statistics for methumbsup.gif

Just like a night in the ghetto. It sounds like some posters either grew up rough or grew up in the hardcore areas of the ghetto where violence was considered the acceptable way of communicating.

i guess not everyone comes from a remote village with population of 20 where everyone just loves each other. Some people actually grow up in the big city's with big houses, cars and crimethumbsup.gif

I guess my pleasant attitude has you fooled. I have no idea about coming from a remote village with a population of 20 etc. But I have a very good idea about growing up in a city where drugs, murder, car theft, crack heads roaming around, strong arm robberies, drive-by shootings are pretty much an everyday occurrence. I have never made an excuse for crime nor have I ever considered violence as the way to communicate. thumbsup.gif

I guess my pleasant attitude has you fooled. I have no idea about coming from a remote village with a population of 20 etc. But I have a very good idea about growing up in a city where drugs, murder, car theft, crack heads roaming around, strong arm robberies, drive-by shootings are pretty much an everyday occurrence. I have never made an excuse for crime nor have I ever considered violence as the way to communicate. thumbsup.gif

so when you are confronted with violence, you offer them a bunch of roses? or do you just run away with a tail between your legs or do you put up a fight?

I am sure that any person who could do this would do it again and as knives are such common everyday items I feel the perpetrator of this crime should be incarcerated for the rest of his life, whether it be prison or a secure mental institution, society needs protecting from such persons.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...