Question For People Who Use The 800K Bank Account For Retirement Extensions

Regarding your 800K baht Thai bank account ...  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A question has come up about how people use their 800K retirement extension qualifying accounts during the year. You know, for people who need to season the money two/three months before their extension applications. Thus, this poll.

VOTE THE CHOICE THAT FITS YOU BEST. I can't list 100 different options. Just looking for general trends. OK?

Edited by soundman
Restored poll option.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the above, I leave the money in an account that bears interest and I ensure my balance does not fall below the minimum level during the vesting period, throughout the rest of the year the balance in that account may or may not fall below the minimum but all of it earns interest, all of the time, every single day!

• Like 1

None of the above, I leave the money in an account that bears interest and I ensure my balance does not fall below the minimum level during the vesting period, throughout the rest of the year the balance in that account may or may not fall below the minimum but all of it earns interest, all of the time, every single day!

Vote the choice that fits you best. I couldn't have bloody predicted that one exactly, dude.

What a daft poll. It's know business of yours, and thats what this thread boils down too. Your interest in other folks finances. rolleyes.gif

<deleted>. All votes are anonymous.

Your NOSY. bah.gif

Stop being a pest. There is a reason for this poll. If it doesn't interest you, move on.

What a daft poll. It's know business of yours, and thats what this thread boils down too. Your interest in other folks finances. rolleyes.gif

<deleted>. All votes are anonymous.

Your NOSY. bah.gif

Stop being a pest. There is a reason for this poll. If it doesn't interest you, move on.

WHAT is the reason. ?

Vote the choice that fits you best. I couldn't have bloody predicted that one exactly, dude.

Not sure why, many people are financially sensible these days and most sensible people want to earn interest on their money all of the time, there's nothing remarkable about that, dude!

• Like 1

Maybe not what you want to hear, but why would I want to put that sum of money in a Thai bank, when I can show deposits of 65,000Bhat per month coming into a foreign account. When I am not teaching I do this as an alternative, to stay in Thailand. Why would anyone want to put $26,666.00 dollars, 800,000.00 Thai Bhat into a Thai Bank account, unless you can earn more interest than in your native country, or you have so much money that it does not matter to you. You could be thrown out of the country any time for any reason. This is Thailand, ruled by the military, or killed or even chased by a bunch of ladyboys.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Maybe not what you want to hear, but why would I want to put that sum of money in a Thai bank, when I can show deposits of 65,000Bhat per month coming into a foreign account. When I am not teaching I do this as an alternative, to stay in Thailand. Why would anyone want to put $26,666.00 dollars, 800,000.00 Thai Bhat into a Thai Bank account, unless you can earn more interest than in your native country, or you have so much money that it does not matter to you.

Off topic. This is ONLY about people using the 800K method. Many people do. They have their reasons. A common one is that their pension age hasn't kicked in yet so there is no income to report! The question isn't about their reasons. Edited by Jingthing

unless you can earn more interest than in your native country,

Interest rates in the US are quite dismal & have been for some time

3% looks pretty darn good in comparison ;)

Most US banks offer 0.25% on savings & 1% or less for CD's up to 5 years...Of course if you want to lock it for 10 years they will give 2%bah.gif

So Thailand with 0.75% is 3x as good for regular saving & 2.9% for some savings like Ayudyha are not even fixed although may change later

But even BKB has 3% for 11 months

So compared to the USA at least Thailand is not a bad place to park some cash if your interested in savings or fixed rates

Maybe not what you want to hear, but why would I want to put that sum of money in a Thai bank, when I can show deposits of 65,000Bhat per month coming into a foreign account. When I am not teaching I do this as an alternative, to stay in Thailand. Why would anyone want to put $26,666.00 dollars, 800,000.00 Thai Bhat into a Thai Bank account, unless you can earn more interest than in your native country, or you have so much money that it does not matter to you.

Off topic. This is ONLY about people using the 800K method. Many people do. They have their reasons. A common one is that their pension age hasn't kicked in yet so there is no income to report! The question isn't about their reasons.

STILL none of your business or anybodies. Some things are private, like crossing the road to save 5 bht eh. rolleyes.gif

This is ONLY about people using the 800K method.

So are you not interested in us 400k guys?

Are you under money seasoning rules? If so, yes. If not, no.

Sure it is no different 2 months 1st time & then 3 months thereafter

We just get a break because they know we are married.... so they like us twice as much smile.png

Edited by flying

This is ONLY about people using the 800K method.

So are you not interested in us 400k guys?

Are you under money seasoning rules? If so, yes. If not, no.

Sure it is no different 2 months 1st time & then 3 months thereafter

We just get a break because they know we are married.... so they like us twice as much smile.png

Well I would like to include you now but I have run out of time to edit the poll. So it would be a mess to include marriage now. Too late. Sorry.

Well I would like to include you now but I have run out of time to edit the poll. So it would be a mess to include marriage now. Too late. Sorry.

No problem I just voted door #2

I would ask you and any marriage extension people NOT to vote in this poll and if you did, please delete your vote. It can't be a clean poll otherwise. I can't change it now. It is what it is and what it is is about RETIREMENT extenders using 800K. Edited by Jingthing

I would ask you and any marriage extension people NOT to vote in this poll and if you did, please delete your vote. It can't be a clean poll otherwise. I can't change it now. It is what it is and what it is is about RETIREMENT extenders using 800K.

Ok will delete but now I feel so financially discriminated against biggrin.png

PS: it is retirement based on marriage ;)

Edited by flying

I would ask you and any marriage extension people NOT to vote in this poll and if you did, please delete your vote. It can't be a clean poll otherwise. I can't change it now. It is what it is and what it is is about RETIREMENT extenders using 800K.

Ok will delete but now I feel so financially discriminated against biggrin.png

Well it's related to my rules change proposal around money seasoning for bank account method. I reckon if it was ever liberalized for retirement that marriage might be looked at as well. Of course, neither change is very likely!

I just want to stay here in Thailand with the least hassle as possible. I use the 800,000 baht through out the year and make sure that I have the 800.000 baht in my account when my new extension is due. I am legally married and find the retirement visa much easier then the support visa. The retirement extension is simple for me.

• Like 1

I just want to stay here in Thailand with the least hassle as possible. I use the 800,000 baht through out the year and make sure that I have the 800.000 baht in my account when my new extension is due. I am legally married and find the retirement visa much easier then the support visa. The retirement extension is simple for me.

Of course if you're married but use the retirement bank account method, you fit in this poll.

A lot of stupid posts and questions on this site! Posters are so lazy they can't go find any information themseves, or they are so addicted to their computers they don't want to go out to get information themselves.

Edited by Lifer
  • Like 1

.... why would I want to put that sum of money in a Thai bank, when I can show deposits of 65,000Bhat per month coming into a foreign account. .....

Perhaps because some people might consider it inadvisable to tell the authorities what their yearly income is? Or indeed because it varies significantly and cannot be given a monthly value and so cannot be verified by their consulate?

As things stand I can show a local fixed deposit of 800K on which I earn a reasonable if unspectacular interest rate and I do not have to mention or prove my income at all to anyone, anywhere. This suits me.