What Would You Get?

tjhorner

Alright, haven't been back to the states for almost 6 months now, headed back tomorrow for a few weeks.

My first stop is Chick-Fil-A for a chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and a large sweet tea..... What you guys in the mood for, or what do you miss most from home???

Mexican food, a reuben sandwich, a decent beer.

All the above are impossible to find here.

Mexican food is fairly easy to make..... My gf didn't Coyote or Sunrise mexican food, I don't really care too much for either.... I just make it home, Villas got bout the ingredients. For me beer is beer.... all taste the same after 3 ;)

At least 3 really great Mexican food places nearby my place in Phuket. IMO one of the best things about living here is the diversity of really fantastic food and at really great prices. Perhaps we are spoiled in Phuket, it being an international vacation destination.

I am surprised to hear you can't find decent beer in Thailand, as most people, including Americans that have done at least some traveling realize that much of our beer (Bud, Coors, Miller etc.) is crap compared to many foreign beers. Plus it is usually just 3.5% alcohol by volume. Sam Adams is raved about but when I had one at the 4th of July party, I thought it was horrible. Taste is a matter of taste I suppose. I do still enjoy Bud, as that is what I was practically raised on, but give me a Heinikan, Carlsburg, Tiger, or even Leo any day. But I agree with Mr. horner. After 3 they all taste the same. :)

And actually, you can get American beer in many places, including Villa Market, but it's not cheap.

I miss Wendy's, Taco Bell, and the Honey BBQ Chicken sandwich and strawberry "Lil' bucket parfait" at KFC.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

I miss Wendy's, Taco Bell, and the Honey BBQ Chicken sandwich and strawberry "Lil' bucket parfait" at KFC.

Not that I really consider Taco Bell to be mexican..... I sure could go for a 6 pack of taco supremes with hot sauce!!!!! clap2.gif

So you yanks miss your crap beer and junk food!

I bet you miss Thailand more when you are in America though.

What I don't miss about Thailand is the bitching yanks complaining endlessly about everything! I am in the Philippines now, and it's the same here - bitching yanks.

If you don't like it, you know what to do!!!! whistling.gif

I'm from southern California:

English

In-N-Out

Buffalo hot wings

BJ's Pizza. I like it better than all the pizza I've had in New York, Italy, etc...

405 traffic at 5pm on a Friday (beats this traffic)

Better-paying job... I feel like I'm going backwards with an MBA and 8+ years Telecommunications experience.

2 minute traffic lights

American girls at the beach

Full-nude, no beer strip club rolleyes.gif just kidding.

BBQ at home/park/games

NFL soon enough...

Family.

So you yanks miss your crap beer and junk food!

I bet you miss Thailand more when you are in America though.

What I don't miss about Thailand is the bitching yanks complaining endlessly about everything! I am in the Philippines now, and it's the same here - bitching yanks.

If you don't like it, you know what to do!!!! whistling.gif

What a wonderful approach to conversation! There is one born every minute.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

At least 3 really great Mexican food places nearby my place in Phuket. IMO one of the best things about living here is the diversity of really fantastic food and at really great prices. Perhaps we are spoiled in Phuket, it being an international vacation destination.

I am surprised to hear you can't find decent beer in Thailand, as most people, including Americans that have done at least some traveling realize that much of our beer (Bud, Coors, Miller etc.) is crap compared to many foreign beers. Plus it is usually just 3.5% alcohol by volume. Sam Adams is raved about but when I had one at the 4th of July party, I thought it was horrible. Taste is a matter of taste I suppose. I do still enjoy Bud, as that is what I was practically raised on, but give me a Heinikan, Carlsburg, Tiger, or even Leo any day. But I agree with Mr. horner. After 3 they all taste the same. smile.png

And actually, you can get American beer in many places, including Villa Market, but it's not cheap.

There's something about the beer/lagers here that it just doesn't taste the same for some reason. No idea why and am quite prepared to accept that its just me.

Being a Brit, I miss fish and chips.

Edit - Can't believe I forgot! A decent cup of tea!

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 1

Not that I really consider Taco Bell to be mexican..... I sure could go for a 6 pack of taco supremes with hot sauce!!!!! clap2.gif

Yeah, there was no relation between the Mexican food comment and Taco Bell. I almost wrote that, but assumed Americans would understand. TB is not Mexican in any way, but still good. :)

• Like 1

Not much. You can get more or less everything here.

Previous posters suggest otherwise...

Maybe expat63 is just content with what s/he has. Ideal! wai.gif

Edited by Morakot

I never been much a hot tea drinker...... but can you not find a decent tea here???

I being a Southern Yank (is that even possible??? whistling.gif ) really enjoy iced sweet tea, but I haven't found or possible just can't make it like they do in the South ;) I thought Lipton tea bags would do the trick, but just didn't seem the same.

Waiting for Carl's Jr to open on Sukhumvit 24 so I can get the $6 burger for 600 baht, not including small fries and a drink.

Me too!!!! I saw they got one open in Central Pattaya......

I never been much a hot tea drinker...... but can you not find a decent tea here???

I being a Southern Yank (is that even possible??? whistling.gif ) really enjoy iced sweet tea, but I haven't found or possible just can't make it like they do in the South wink.png I thought Lipton tea bags would do the trick, but just didn't seem the same.

I don't think that would come close to any British standard on the scale of decent tea.

The poster probably meant something like this:

250px-YorkshireTea.jpg

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

English

In-N-Out

Buffalo hot wings

BJ's Pizza. I like it better than all the pizza I've had in New York, Italy, etc...

Better-paying job... I feel like I'm going backwards with an MBA and 8+ years Telecommunications experience.

2 minute traffic lights

BBQ at home/park/games

NFL soon enough...

Family.

BJ's.... I tried them for the first time in Seattle about a year ago on a biz trip.... I ate there 5/7 nights I was there. There menu is the size of a Websters Dictionary :) Good Food and Good Beer selection. Didn't try there pizza, but isn't a Chicago style pizza? Deep dish?

I being a Southern Yank (is that even possible??? whistling.gif ) really enjoy iced sweet tea, but I haven't found or possible just can't make it like they do in the South wink.png I thought Lipton tea bags would do the trick, but just didn't seem the same.

I don't that would come close to any British standard on the scale of decent tea.

The poster probably meant something like this:

250px-YorkshireTea.jpg

I didn't think it was of a high English tea standard.... but was hoping for something decent on the sugary iced tea concoction that I was used to hahahaha

English

In-N-Out

Buffalo hot wings

2 minute traffic lights

BBQ at home/park/games

NFL soon enough...

Family.

BJ's.... I tried them for the first time in Seattle about a year ago on a biz trip.... I ate there 5/7 nights I was there. There menu is the size of a Websters Dictionary smile.png Good Food and Good Beer selection. Didn't try there pizza, but isn't a Chicago style pizza? Deep dish?

Deep-dish similar to Chicago-style pizza but not as dense. BJs started and is headquartered in California so it's really California-style pizza. Think of a thicker Pizza Hut pan-pizza with a pile of "better" ingredients.

• Like 1

Liptons? LIPTONS??! That's not even close to a proper cup of tea!

Even the 'breakfast' tea doesn't taste the same - I suspect its down to the water and milk.