Foreign Diplomats Urge Thai Government To Tackle Tourist Scams

webfact

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr Suwat responded to the calls by saying that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed Deputy Prime Minister, Chalerm Yubamrung, who is in charge of security affairs, to devise measures to tackle the issue in a swift manner.

Chalerm, who just recently put a stop to all drug dealing in Thailand, responded by holding a press conference. Another job handled!

What a ridiculous article!

I think these countries would be much better served, if they urge there citizens not to come to Thailand at all. Now that will get some reaction from these children (Thai Government).

Are you going to recommend a destination that has the same things to offer as Thailand and no scams.

What is it that Thailand has to offer that is so great?

Is it all the polluted beches and national parks?

Is it the easy transportaion, that you take your life in own hands every time you step into a bus, van or taxi?

Is it getting poisoned in your hotel room?

Maybe getting food poisoning, thats always worthy of a return trip.

You tell me and I will give you a list of other places.

I am not saying there is not scams everywhere. Of course there is. is what I am saying is trying to get this government from the local to executive to do somthing. Maybe just try and enforce a law that is inplace.

Gosh! Been coming to Thailand for years and have had none of these terrible things happen to me. Must be doing something wrong.......

Gosh! What ever you take before landing here, can you tell me what it is? I am sure I could use some once in a while.

What happened to the foreign diplomats from countries like China, India, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan , UAE, etc not to mention the US, are these diplomats sleeping? Maybe people from their back home countries should get them fired for being complacent.

Also, jetski should be banned in tourist areas. They are dangerous for swimmers, snorklers and divers and add nothing to the experience except 15 overpiced minutes of speed on water. I would personally like the 'helpful stranger' situation around the Grand Palace taken care of first, since this is often the tourists first encounter with Thailand and the tourist will have a negative impression of Thais if their first experience is a scam attempt. However, there can be no doubt that these guys are in with the police or they couldn't be standing in the same place every day. It would be great if Chalerm could tell the police to make money in other ways or even better, raise salaries to something you can actually live off, instead of the poverty wages they get now.

Acemaker, your up-maket arn't you ??? try Cleethorpes.

G/kid, are all jet ski-a scam ?? are there some that are run o.k. if so when a tourist comes over here, he may be excited and rent a J/Ski some people are NOT aware of the scams, it's not because they are stupid it's because they don't expect them on their first holiday. WE KNOW and the people know that were ripped off before. If you have no sympathy well all I can say is sorry you made the remark.

I have been here 31 years and I keep hearing of different scams, that are new to me.

I understand where you are coming from, but as I say not all know. Persons knowing Thailand just steer clear of the nasties.

I agree the authorities Know and are involved, more awareness has to get out to the unexpected. Then and only then will these places dry up, without the need for the government pretending to be -doing something.

• Like 2

What happened to the foreign diplomats from countries like China, India, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan , UAE, etc not to mention the US, are these diplomats sleeping? Maybe people from their back home countries should get them fired for being complacent.

To much business at stake....rolleyes.gif

I note that several respondents state that foreign governments should recommend that their nationals not visit Thailand, yet these very same people are either resident in Thailand or are visitors. Think about it. The respondnets are aware of the "dangers" and yet still travel to or reside in Thailand. The warnings about jetski scams are on every major travel website. Most governments have advisories on their related websites and yet there are still people that will go and rent the jetskis. What exactly would a restrictive recommendation from a foreign government accomplish?

People have the option of not renting the jetskis. There iis absolutely no excuse for someone that has been ripped off by the jet skis to whinge. These people are engaging in irresponsible behaviour to begin with (and yes, the rental of the jetskis is a stupid selfish act because they are used in areas filled with swimmers, damage the environment with the noise and gas spillage and encourage organized crime, because it is common knowledge who and what is linked to the rental scams) and we're supposed to feel sorry for these renters? If a person wants to be irresponsible and has been warned, then tough tittie. Getting ripped off is well deserved and I have no sympathy.

Yes, the taxis and tuk tuks on Phuket rip tourists off. Is it as serious as the current LIIBOR scandal that once it unravels will show that multiple banks have cheated millions of people over the years? I don't think so. Overcharging someone A/US/C $20on a taxi ride is not worth a massive retaliatory response. Intervening when foreign nationals are harmed is justified. Unfortunately, in many cases, foreigners have engaged in irresponsible acts or have been responsible for their own demise (e.g. driving a motorbike without a helmet, transacting with nefarious types, associating with prostitutes). These "bad" foreigners make it very difficult for foreign governments to intervene. We've had several cases of foreigners stealing and making false claims. Everytime that happens, it undermines the efforts of the foreign diplomatic corps to protect the law abiding respectable foreigners. Visitors have to take control of their own destinies. It is their choice to take the junket to Thailand and to interact with many of these dangerous locals. It is common knowledge that their is lax approach to maritime safety and yet one will see tourists heading out on boats in dangerous weather conditions. All the foreign intervention in the world will not transfer common sense to some people.

You are absolutely correct in your last chapter so maybe a start will be to change criteria for both tourist visa and longstay visas ( I know will never happen, money lost etc.)

I think these countries would be much better served, if they urge there citizens not to come to Thailand at all. Now that will get some reaction from these children (Thai Government).

Are you going to recommend a destination that has the same things to offer as Thailand and no scams.

Is it the easy transportaion, that you take your life in own hands every time you step into a bus, van or taxi?

I am not saying there is not scams everywhere. Of course there is. is what I am saying is trying to get this government from the local to executive to do somthing. Maybe just try and enforce a law that is inplace.

You obviously do not live here.

And if you do, why ?

Gosh! Been coming to Thailand for years and have had none of these terrible things happen to me. Must be doing something wrong.......

me too
  • Like 1

I think he meant cheap hookers and cheap beer?

I note that several respondents state that foreign governments should recommend that their nationals not visit Thailand, yet these very same people are either resident in Thailand or are visitors. Think about it. The respondnets are aware of the "dangers" and yet still travel to or reside in Thailand. The warnings about jetski scams are on every major travel website. Most governments have advisories on their related websites and yet there are still people that will go and rent the jetskis. What exactly would a restrictive recommendation from a foreign government accomplish?

People have the option of not renting the jetskis. There iis absolutely no excuse for someone that has been ripped off by the jet skis to whinge. These people are engaging in irresponsible behaviour to begin with (and yes, the rental of the jetskis is a stupid selfish act because they are used in areas filled with swimmers, damage the environment with the noise and gas spillage and encourage organized crime, because it is common knowledge who and what is linked to the rental scams) and we're supposed to feel sorry for these renters? If a person wants to be irresponsible and has been warned, then tough tittie. Getting ripped off is well deserved and I have no sympathy.

Yes, the taxis and tuk tuks on Phuket rip tourists off. Is it as serious as the current LIIBOR scandal that once it unravels will show that multiple banks have cheated millions of people over the years? I don't think so. Overcharging someone A/US/C $20on a taxi ride is not worth a massive retaliatory response. Intervening when foreign nationals are harmed is justified. Unfortunately, in many cases, foreigners have engaged in irresponsible acts or have been responsible for their own demise (e.g. driving a motorbike without a helmet, transacting with nefarious types, associating with prostitutes). These "bad" foreigners make it very difficult for foreign governments to intervene. We've had several cases of foreigners stealing and making false claims. Everytime that happens, it undermines the efforts of the foreign diplomatic corps to protect the law abiding respectable foreigners. Visitors have to take control of their own destinies. It is their choice to take the junket to Thailand and to interact with many of these dangerous locals. It is common knowledge that their is lax approach to maritime safety and yet one will see tourists heading out on boats in dangerous weather conditions. All the foreign intervention in the world will not transfer common sense to some people.

You are right. Better than solving all of the above mentioned issues, better that all the tourists stay away, so they can't get scammed, hurt, disappointed or possibly killed.

You obviously do not live here.

And if you do, why ?

girls girls girls, is the sea pollouted in Samui, Phuket and Pattaya yes, go and ask local hospital. Food poisoning yes many times, hence hundreds of pharamcies and hospitals in tourist area's that thrive. food poisoning in your hotel room that kills always come back inconclusive, married couple even had heart attacks with in minutes of each other. Westerners killed on bus only last week again. And yes i lived here 10 years but the rose tint long since worn off. So why stay, dont go in the sea, antibiotics freely available, have own pick up truck and dont eat in hotels, then theres the girls.tongue.png

Disappointing that the Thai Gov have to wait for Foreign URGES to take Tourist abuse seriously

I wonder if they listed the Scam problems that they are currently aware of?

The US Department of State has such a list on their website:

http://travel.state....1040.html#crime

I read that report and found it very useful it was clearly written by someone who lives in the real Thai world. LIKE IT

I am very happy to see such measures finally being put into place to stop corruption. Big thanks to the foreign diplomats for understanding Thainess and how to properly deal with the situation. I'm sure the efforts will pay off and Yingluck will end corruption in Thailand once and for all.

And the head crook at Barclays is getting 4 million for quitting under a cloud of scandal. Although this story has been headline news on the BBC for a week it still hasn't made Thai Visa? Wonder why?

And the head crook at Barclays is getting 4 million for quitting under a cloud of scandal. Although this story has been headline news on the BBC for a week it still hasn't made Thai Visa? Wonder why?

Because it is nothing new. sad.png
  • Like 1

Besides cheap hookers, everything else can be found elsewhere, with better quality and fewer scams. Well, there are lots of other places with cheap hookers, so Thailand is not even unique in that category. Where? Spin the globe and throw a dart.

I really hope that you DO NOT live here.

If you do, your comments just show what a <deleted> you really are !

Well put ! clap2.gifwai.gif

Burma. very much so. Unless you reckon that prostitution is something to offer. Ther are no crimes against tourists in Burma and it has everything. Also Sri Lanka has much more to offer.. Everyone speaks English and the country is far more beautiful.

Concerted efforts have been made by diplomats from Australia, Germany, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Britain

As far as French diplomats are concern, as one can read they don't give a dam_n!

Or is it a low profile after this Frenchman was caught with 97 credit cards 2 days ago? sick.gif

(I guessI am not the only Frenchman on Thai Visa)

Besides cheap hookers, everything else can be found elsewhere, with better quality and fewer scams. Well, there are lots of other places with cheap hookers, so Thailand is not even unique in that category. Where? Spin the globe and throw a dart.

I really hope that you DO NOT live here.

If you do, your comments just show what a <deleted> you really are !

Oh, I must have struck a nerve.

What, the truth bothers you? If so, you've been in Thailand too long.

That would be a very noble goal for Thailand. What would be even more noble is if they would honor their truly Great King by doing that.

It is unfortunate that the Foreign Diplomats should even have to ask the Thai Government to crack down on these crimes against foreign tourists.

I believe for that to happen, the Embassies of each of these 10 countries need to issue travel warnings across the board at the same time

to each of citizens

and every Thai Consulate and or Embassy in Thailand needs to post a list of all the inheirent risks they could possibly encounter

pursuant to the scams.

Instead of the old addage Buyer Beware...The Signs should say, Travelers To Thailand Beware

"Oh, I must have struck a nerve.

What, the truth bothers you? If so, you've been in Thailand too long."

No offense taken.

And yes, I have been here for decades.

I love it here.

Love my family.

Love the area I live in and many of the people here.

Many not.

Granted it is what it is.

I will stay.

Thank you. wai.gif

You of course my friend are free to do as you please.

Be well and enjoy wherever you go/are.

Maybe you should call it quits on thaivisa while you're at it......thumbsup.gif