Chalerm Pledges To Eradicate Drugs Within One Year: War On Drugs

webfact

Chalerm pledges to eradicate drugs within one year

image_2012012812081122B6AD67-BF3D-82F6-C787618E6185E840.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 28 -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubumrung said illicit drug suppression was one of the government policies announced during the election campaign, and he was confident that involved authorities would be able to make considerable advances in the “War on Drugs” within one year.

Pol Capt Chalerm filled in for the prime minister on her TV programme "Yingluck Government meets the People" with National Police Chief Pol Gen Prewpan Dhamapong and Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) Secretary General Pol Gen Adul Sangsingkeo, as Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was attending the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland.

Mr Chalerm, in his capacity as Director of the National Command Center for Drugs (NCCD) said the drug problem was on the national agenda and he intended to root it out in Thailand.

He stated efforts must start from blocking the entry of narcotics from neighboring countries, combined with strict law enforcement and rapid crackdowns on local drug rings.

The number of drug users would be reduced and they would be taken for treatment, he said.

The government would ask for cooperation from neighbouring countries to prevent the smuggling of illicit drugs, said the deputy prime minister.

Meanwhile, entertainment venues would be asked to help authorities to eliminate drugs in their places, he said, adding that with these measures illicit drugs could be significantly reduced within one year.

As for the drug trade in the prisons, Mr Chalerm said that measures would be sought to solve the problems.

He planned to set up a special prison for groups of inmates involved with drugs with special prison staff who were well prepared to deal with these issues. The first could be a prison in Nakhon Ratchasima's Sikhio district. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-01-28

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long have drugs in one form or another been with us?

Can Chalerm, will Chalerm ever come to see reality or are his comments making him a legend in his own mind ?

bullshit-meter-011.gif?w=238

• Like 1

Number of speed pill dealers declines; ice abuse rises

BANGKOK, 28 January 2012 (NNT) – The government has reported a major progress of its hunt for Methamphetamine dealers and admitted crystal meth abuse is now becoming rampant.

In the Saturday talk show under the Yingluck Government Meets the People program, Deputy Police Chief Adul Sangsingkaew disclosed that the performance of anti-drug police was quite satisfactory. Over the past three months, about 15 million speed pills had been seized. Caches of heroin and crystal meth known as ice have also been found and confiscated.

While more speed pill dealers have been captured, the Deputy Police Chief admitted that the spread of ice abuse had become a new challenge for authorities. He also stressed that public participation would be promoted due to its important role in the anti-drug campaign. Community leaders at drug-prone areas have been urged to keep a close watch on any irregularities. The 1386 hotline has been set up to enable the public to inform officials of suspicious activities.

The number of drug addicts is estimated at 1.2 million. Sixty percent of them are in the capital. The number of drug users taking rehabilitation throughout the country is estimated at 54,000 which is still far below the government’s target of 400,000.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-28 footer_n.gif

Exactly. How many will be murdered in cold blood during Chalerm's 'war on drugs'? Thaksin managed to kill innocent bystanders, drug users near drop in centres (users on programmes, not dealers) and off course the odd political opponent. Very useful don't you think? Now the reds and their ilk make more noise about the deaths of 91 folk in Bangkok, than the 1500 or so murdered under the Thaksin disctatorship. Quite frankly the whole thing scares me and those working on drug rehab programmes are equally as frightened. When will Thai politicians learn to do things intelligently?

So you think that the government should do NOTHING and just let drug criminals run free killing your children? Why is it that when the Thai government makes a stand and tries to clean Thailand up in any way the TV members start all these posts that seem to be "anti, anti drug war?'

Seems to me that the government should just hand over ALL of their issues to members on Thaivisa and you can all figure it out for them?

I say all the power to these brave police etc. and wish them the best of luck and hope that no one gets hurt.

Sure you can go on and on and on about what Thaksin did but get a grip people, that was the past, this is the present. It's a good thing that Thai's don't listen to anything said here on these forums.

• Like 1

So you think that the government should do NOTHING and just let drug criminals run free killing your children? Why is it that when the Thai government makes a stand and tries to clean Thailand up in any way the TV members start all these posts that seem to be "anti, anti drug war?'

Seems to me that the government should just hand over ALL of their issues to members on Thaivisa and you can all figure it out for them?

I say all the power to these brave police etc. and wish them the best of luck and hope that no one gets hurt.

Sure you can go on and on and on about what Thaksin did but get a grip people, that was the past, this is the present. It's a good thing that Thai's don't listen to anything said here on these forums.

Because the track record of this government has been nothing but bullshit and lies.

Eliminate drugs? Good luck with that! Seriously, you really think this incompetant government can eradicate drugs within a year? They can't even select a cabinet without falling over one another and making themselves a joke!

And let's not forget the last they went to war with drugs. Thousands murdered. And most of them weren't even in the drug trade or were minor players. Thousands dead and for what? Well we still have a drug problem here don't we?

• Like 2

Because the track record of this government has been nothing but bullshit and lies.

Eliminate drugs? Good luck with that! Seriously, you really think this incompetant government can eradicate drugs within a year? They can't even select a cabinet without falling over one another and making themselves a joke!

And let's not forget the last they went to war with drugs. Thousands murdered. And most of them weren't even in the drug trade or were minor players. Thousands dead and for what? Well we still have a drug problem here don't we?

There is nothing wrong with any government saying it wants to stop the use of drugs. The only problem is it will have about as much effect as Prohibition did in America and probably the same consequences.

• Like 1

Exactly. How many will be murdered in cold blood during Chalerm's 'war on drugs'? Thaksin managed to kill innocent bystanders, drug users near drop in centres (users on programmes, not dealers) and off course the odd political opponent. Very useful don't you think? Now the reds and their ilk make more noise about the deaths of 91 folk in Bangkok, than the 1500 or so murdered under the Thaksin disctatorship. Quite frankly the whole thing scares me and those working on drug rehab programmes are equally as frightened. When will Thai politicians learn to do things intelligently?

"Thai politicians learn to do things intelligently?" had a good laugh here... Thanks!!!jap.gif

• Like 1

Not exactly right but the way they deal with it is wrong......

If only... LOL

I say all the power to these brave police etc. and wish them the best of luck and hope that no one gets hurt.topeoplep

Ho Ho Ho..... How brave to stop peolple not wearing helmet......

Indeed, if they did listen or learn anything... we would not have a clone in charge.......

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with any government saying it wants to stop the use of drugs. The only problem is it will have about as much effect as Prohibition did in America and probably the same consequences.

They can say what they want but seeing how the last time they decided to stop drugs went, I'd prefer they didn't.

Again, an article that contradicts its title.

Title : " ...eradicate drugs within one year"

Article : " ... able to make considerable advances in the “War on Drugs” within one year."

Someone has a very low opinion about the IQ of his readers....

........and someone else has a very low (and more accurate) opinion of his supporters. But he likes it like that.

Again, an article that contradicts its title.

Title : " ...eradicate drugs within one year"

Article : " ... able to make considerable advances in the “War on Drugs” within one year."

Someone has a very low opinion about the IQ of his readers....

But news people want titles that grab our attention...get us to read the article....titles that are many times misleading, a play on words, etc., like this article. Unfortunately, I also see it all the time in western news papers. Preaching to the choir I know.

1. How man people die on use of illegal drugs?
  2. How many die in the war on drugs?
  3. Think! What is worse? The drugs or the war on it?

Maybe Chalerm would be taken more seriously if he started tackling the problem of heavy police involvement in the drug retail business. Everybody knows that they only catch dealers by accident or when they don't pay their tea money. There are for example cases on Koh Phanghan were resorts are urged to sell drugs by the local police.

In case you hadn't noticed, I can't find any comment that says or suggests that the government should do nothing.

Brave police? Care to explain that point?.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, the past is still here fully, completely, totally, all day, every day, and right now has a total grip on Thailand.

Obviously pretty new to Thailand this one...

Probably thinks sick buffalo's are real too.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

You've gotten many answers so far, but I'll give you a really important one thus far missing.

Nothing wrong with declaring a war on drugs and going after criminals. However, the last guy who tried to eliminate the problem here in Thailand did so with very little due process. People were just wiped out. How many were innocent/guilty, nobody knows.

Great to see your so passionate about this issue Gone, 2% of the Thai population are drug addicts so you believe the Thai government should go after the drug suppliers with the full wieght of the law. However, in the US there are 2.7 million youth (sic) ages 4-17 years currently using amphedimines, the only difference is that their are prescribed by doctors and supplied by pharmacretical companies. Like illegal drug producers, pharmacetical companies will never be brought to task for producing these drugs that destroy peoples lives and like you said "killing our children". It will only be the end user that is forced to pay. So instead of providing support, empathy, education and treatment for addiction, lets declare war on them.

Edited by waza

I don't know that those in a position of authority known an addict from A Dick. They have a significant problem with drug abuse, that seems obvious.

My problem with these campaigns is that the last time they had one, I was less than a minute from getting caught in the crossfire on my way home from work. They shot two people on the road in front of my Moo Bahn.

If I want to get shot at, I could just move to LA, Kabul, Caracas etc... Please not here in Bangkok.