Tipping?

AnkertilBrewer

because the village hairdresser only charges me 30 Baht for the cut and does a great job

My barber shop also charges 30 Baht and guess what, 30 is what he get. Not only from me, but from everyone else (only Thais). If he wants more, I guess he'd have to change the price to 50 and lose customers. He's doing really fine with the 30 Baht, customers all day long. smile.png

If you start tipping in a Thai only barbershop where no-one else does, you'll just be marked as 'the big shot farang' or 'idiot' - so you are doing the right thing.

post-35218-0-85742100-1342151875.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a small bar yesterday and being a hot day the girl behind the bar, naturally, sat in front of the refrigerated cabinet with the door open to keep herself cool. Needless to say the beer was warm. When I wanted some ice to cool the beer she charged me for it. No tip here but she was 'cool' about it.

I have several foreign friends married to Thai wives and they never tip.

they must be the ones who, with the saved tips, buy Yachts, Ferraris and live in huge mansions. right? ermm.gif

Yeah and one had enoughf to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.

because the village hairdresser only charges me 30 Baht for the cut and does a great job

My barber shop also charges 30 Baht and guess what, 30 is what he get. Not only from me, but from everyone else (only Thais). If he wants more, I guess he'd have to change the price to 50 and lose customers. He's doing really fine with the 30 Baht, customers all day long. smile.png

If you start tipping in a Thai only barbershop where no-one else does, you'll just be marked as 'the big shot farang' or 'idiot' - so you are doing the right thing.

I would believe the latter.

The level of skill involved in taking one's order and then bringing the food and drinks to the table (and the associated actions) in a restaurant is about as basic as you can get. Wow, you didn't stick your thumb in my soup! Here's a tip!

All restaurant service ought to be at least acceptable since the skill set is so simple (Remember the monkeys serving drinks to customers in that Japanese restaurant?). No reason to give additional money for mundane actions like refilling your glass with ice, or pouring your drink (which by the way, is normal here).

Tipping and the obnoxious fixed "service charge" tacked on the price of a meal (which does not relieve one of the "duty" of also tipping) in the US is an abomination I hope never gets transplanted over here.

I believe this thread was about tipping in Thailand.

So if the logic is that minimum wage earners, or those on the lower end of the salary ladder, should necessarily be tipped, then you ought to be tipping your asss off as a farang in Thailand since almost everyone you meet is going to be in or near that category. Yes, I know some of your Thai friends are bank presidents, brain surgeons and whatnot, but by and large, you deal with those in the minimum wage demographic most often. (If you are getting your hair cut for 30 baht, then everyone you meet must be in the minimum wage demographic. That must be very rural indeed.)

And by the way, that includes workers at 7-11 and Family Mart. If everyone was expected to tip 20-25% on every purchase to the counter girl/boy, that's a job I would want. Same with workers in fast food joints. I get 25% of every shake, Big Mac and fries that I ring up? โอ้โฮ!

I think you should observe and ask Thai people if they tip. I think you will find that tipping is a very alien notion indeed -- paying more for a meal than you have to because the server smiled or refilled your glass with ice? Paying additional baht for what you are already paying for per the price on the menu would be insane. Who would do that?

Farang: "Aren't you going to leave a tip? The service was good."

Thai: "The service, good or bad, is part of the price. Why do I want to make the meal more expensive? Tipping will not improve the service; the waiter will only think I am trying to impress you and that I am a moron."

I think we foreigners all know that any Japanese high school girl could give executive seminars on how to take care of customers in the service industry. Thais don't care about "good service" or "bad service" they just accept whatever it is.

Edited by insertmembernamehere
  • Like 1

in our previous restaurant our staff learned that if they gave good service they got good tips, on a very busy day the two waitresses could get up to 600 each in tips and thats on top of there 250 wage and free accommodation.

i would say the average tip would range from the loose coins to 20b note plus coins and thais tip just as well as falang

myself if service is good 10% if bad service no tip

For example, my ex Thai girlfriend, while in the US on a student visa, had a side job waitressing at a local Thai restaurant. She did not receive a salary from the restaurant at all. None. Not a single penny. Her entire wages were composed solely of tip money.

It is a matter of time before wait staff will be paying restaurants to work there. It's what the tipping culture is setting the world up for. Won't the restaurateurs be happy, squeezing people even more, and putting additional pressure on the customer-staff relationship.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think you should observe and ask Thai people if they tip. I think you will find that tipping is a very alien notion indeed

It has been established that many Thais do tip in medium to expensively priced restaurants, but not in noodle stalls. Whether you like it or not, tipping has become part of the Thai culture and not all that recently

I think you should observe and ask Thai people if they tip. I think you will find that tipping is a very alien notion indeed

It has been established that many Thais do tip in medium to expensively priced restaurants, but not in noodle stalls. Whether you like it or not, tipping has become part of the Thai culture and not all that recently

I think you're right. But, I think it also have to do with a bit of showing off. You can see this in some restaurants, were the customer brings his own bottle of a expensive whiskey (content unknown, but the label speak for itself) placed on the table so other customers can see that an 'important person' have arrived.

I think you're right. But, I think it also have to do with a bit of showing off. You can see this in some restaurants, were the customer brings his own bottle of a expensive whiskey (content unknown, but the label speak for itself) placed on the table so other customers can see that an 'important person' have arrived.

Yes, but when I sit next to them with my JW Blue (contents unknown) they go pale. wink.png

Which brings another question; why do farang restaurant's charge corkage, but Thai restaurants don't?

(Perhaps some do but I don't know them)

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

20 Baht max' is all wifey will allow me to pay no matter what size the bill is. The 10% crap is a European and American thing and if you give that here they believe you are a fool. Somebody said they give 20%; so I guess they are nuts !

I believe it's an American thing.

<snip>

There's evidence that tipping goes back at least to the age of the Romans, but human nature being what it is, it could just as easily date from the invention of money.

There's evidence that tipping goes back at least to the age of the Romans, but human nature being what it is, it could just as easily date from the invention of money.

I thought the tip not to eat the forbidden fruit was a good one and quite a while ago too.

I really don't think most Thai people can afford to tip. Get out of the tourist areas and watch them.

20 Baht max' is all wifey will allow me to pay no matter what size the bill is. The 10% crap is a European and American thing and if you give that here they believe you are a fool. Somebody said they give 20%; so I guess they are nuts !

When wifey is not around and it's haircut time I still give 20 Baht....because the village hairdresser only charges me 30 Baht for the cut and does a great job. It Britain a decent haircut will cost you upwards of 500 Baht and the bloke still expects a tip too. I don't normally tip hotel cleaners but last year in Pattaya we had a real gem of a girl who looked after us like Royalty, so I gave her 40 Baht and wifey did the highland fling as we left down the corridor !

There is evidence that tipping goes back at least to the age of the Romans. In CM, when tipping 10% at a nice restaurant there will be no one who would think you are a fool. If you didn't leave 10% they would probably think you are either thrifty (cheap) or maybe you are living on a very limited income (poor) and then they would feel sorry for you.

• Like 1

I really don't think most Thai people can afford to tip. Get out of the tourist areas and watch them.

When you get out of the tourist areas, upscale restaurants tend to diminish. The Thais that I have seen that dine at upscale restaurants in Chiang Mai, and Bangkok, do tip accordingly. I never thought of tipping as showing off, lol.

I never thought of tipping as showing off, lol.

No, but in Thai society you might find that someone who ordinarily might not tip, would tip generously if picking up the tab in a party. It's not exactly showing off. it's more to do with....................... (put your own ending).

....... And if the server girls were particularly friendly, they will tip to BOTH the bar *AND* the girl.

These are normal working class Thais. Its not just an American thing.

-Mestizo

Tipping cute beer girls is not the same thing at all, more like a fishing lure.

Some of my friends have been known to tip these girls 1,000bht ....... a little bit later in the evening.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

When I go out drinking to Thai places with my thai coworkers, they *ALWAYS* tip

I'm sure they do, but, could this not be a case of 'show off' to you as the Farang co-worker?

Sure, they showing off, that's the only explanation. What I don't quite get is why expats living in Chiang Mai are so concerned about what other expats spend. It I leave a tip in a restaurant, or buy something that most people would say is too expensive, am I actually harming anyone? If no, why all the vitriol towards people who don't walk around with the first nickel they ever earned stuffed up between their butt-cheeks?

am I actually harming anyone

Well, you're introducing the act of tipping, which is not normal to the locals. And believe me, they are learning fast.

I remember reading the guide books many years ago when I arrived in Thailand. Guide said tipping is not the custom. However over the last decade I have detected that tipping has become more accepted, even by more affluent Thai people. I guess that is just progress sad.png I am Ok with that, but the 'global' 10% is just over the top. I leave 20 baht even on a 80 baht bill, and 20 baht on a 500+ baht bill. Leaving just a few baht (like 2 or 3 or even 5) in coins is just rude.

• Like 1

When I go out drinking to Thai places with my thai coworkers, they *ALWAYS* tip

I'm sure they do, but, could this not be a case of 'show off' to you as the Farang co-worker?

I don't really think tipping in the bars is a realistic thing to judge tipping on.

1 They might be just using it as a prelude to something more satisfying and

2 Even after 1 beer there mind works differently

It's not my fault I'm so much better off than them.

Am I supposed to feel guilty about it and then give them 3 hours of their salary in a tip so I relieve some guilt and they can think of me a fool?

No thanks.

Anything under 500b and they get the coins on the plate. Above that, a 20b note if they've been conscious during their service.

Though if they're cute, conscious, and have been keeping my black label topped up sufficiently there'll probably be a few green ones for them. Though that is rare, and they're probably Laos or Burmese.

Edited by EmptyBasementBin

am I actually harming anyone

Well, you're introducing the act of tipping, which is not normal to the locals. And believe me, they are learning fast.

I remember reading the guide books many years ago when I arrived in Thailand. Guide said tipping is not the custom. However over the last decade I have detected that tipping has become more accepted, even by more affluent Thai people. I guess that is just progress sad.png I am Ok with that, but the 'global' 10% is just over the top. I leave 20 baht even on a 80 baht bill, and 20 baht on a 500+ baht bill. Leaving just a few baht (like 2 or 3 or even 5) in coins is just rude.

Leaving 25 satang is rude. :) If the change happens to be 5 baht and I don't feel like carrying it then it's okay not to wait for it. ;)

Way back in the day, when full service gas stations were predominate in the US, it was customary to tip your filling station attendant as well. With the notable exception of the state of New Jersey, full service stations have fallen by the way side. However, when they are encountered, tipping still routinely happens.

This is apparently somewhat carried over to Thailand. When I go to a gas station in Thailand, I normally do not tip. However, if I request extra services, such as airing up the tires on my motorbike, I always tip for this. Initially this was not something that occurred to me, however my Thai girlfriend at the time informed me that if I was going to have them air my tires, it was normal to tip them 5 to 10 baht.

Again, this seems to be a Thai thing, not so much a farang thing....

-Mestizo