Tipping?

AnkertilBrewer

^ I think you are saying the same thing. I'm not making the point that Thai people don't tip; of course they do, in somewhat nicer establishment that indeed return change on a tray.

we used to use the folder type of thing for presenting the bill/change but the wife said trays are much nicer looking i think not using anything is ok for a beer bar but for a restaurant just no nice

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I think you are saying the same thing. I'm not making the point that Thai people don't tip; of course they do, in somewhat nicer establishment that indeed return change on a tray.

we used to use the folder type of thing for presenting the bill/change but the wife said trays are much nicer looking i think not using anything is ok for a beer bar but for a restaurant just no nice

The wife knows how to get more tips, but the folders are classier

dont see how a folder or tray makes a difference to tips and anyway the wife doesnt get to see the tips they are for the staff

the thing that makes a difference to tips is the staff attitude to customers and quality of the food plain and simple seen it from both sides of the counter, ive been to places where the staff dont give a shit, sitting around playing on there phone real hardship to get up and serve makes me not want to tip and not go back there unless the food is exceptional

Edited by dazk
  • Like 2

dont see how a folder or tray makes a difference to tips and anyway the wife doesnt get to see the tips they are for staff

The wife knows how to get more tips for the girls.

It does make a difference. Many people who wouldn't tip simply close the folder and leave, but they don't like to be seen picking everything up off the tray.

dont see how a folder or tray makes a difference to tips and anyway the wife doesnt get to see the tips they are for the staff

the thing that makes a difference to tips is the staff attitude to customers and quality of the food plain and simple seen it from both sides of the counter, ive been to places where the staff dont give a shit, sitting around playing on there phone real hardship to get up and serve makes me not want to tip and not go back there unless the food is exceptional

And if the food is excellent do you tip the waiter or do you go in the kitchen and tip the kitchen crew?

I get the idea that most restaurants in Thailand split the tips with all the kitchen staff, rather than just the waiters and waitresses.

They do, staff understand that the cooking staff play a vital role in whether the tips are good or not.

Just been reading through this thread and there sure are some tight miserable so an so's on here. Comments like maybe your Thai friends are only tipping because you were with them or words to that effect make me think that some people just look down on Thais.

As for Thais tipping. If you go to a reasonable Thai restaurant, the kind with someone playing music, then yes the Thais do tip. Ok it may not have been Thai custom before but it is that way now. Deal with it people. Let's face it 100 years or so ago the girls all went topless. Now I'm sure that is a custom more of you will be fighting to return than the no tipping.

• Like 1

Just been reading through this thread and there sure are some tight miserable so an so's on here. Comments like maybe your Thai friends are only tipping because you were with them or words to that effect make me think that some people just look down on Thais.

As for Thais tipping. If you go to a reasonable Thai restaurant, the kind with someone playing music, then yes the Thais do tip. Ok it may not have been Thai custom before but it is that way now. Deal with it people. Let's face it 100 years or so ago the girls all went topless. Now I'm sure that is a custom more of you will be fighting to return than the no tipping.

Good point, and I, for one, always tip when the girls go topless, no matter what restaurant or establishment.

Have to laugh at them about no tipping. They probably want them all to speak English and do every thing else like back home.tongue.png

in our places the tips are split between the waiting and kitchen staff, if the cook is shit or waiting staff no good then its unfair but what can you do ask the customer how he would like his tips divided out

in our places the tips are split between the waiting and kitchen staff, if the cook is shit or waiting staff no good then its unfair but what can you do ask the customer how he would like his tips divided out

What are your places? I'd like to give my business to a restaurant where there is a sense of goodwill and fairness.

What are your places? I'd like to give my business to a restaurant where there is a sense of goodwill and fairness.

Only official forum sponsors may promote own business.

I'd like to know too.

EDIT: He wouldn't be promoting, just answering a question. But can be by private message if that's what it takes to get information.

EDIT 2: Or, perhaps someone else can provide a factual answer. Then it's not an answer provided be a business owner.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

my places are our old restaurant now sold and our new place other than that cant say is against the rules i believe

I would go to a restaurant if the food was good. Wouldn't care too much how the revenue is divided. smile.png

Edited by Semper

I would go to a restaurant if the food was good. Wouldn't care too much how the revenue is divided. smile.png

But you also wouldn't tip no matter what.

Food quality, portion size and price all play their part.

How tips are divided? I don't tip so not a concern for me.

Exploiting 3rd world poverty is certainly a noble way to reduce living expenses.

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

Exploiting 3rd world poverty is certainly a noble way to reduce living expenses.

Not sure how 'not tipping' equates to 'exploiting 3rd world poverty'.

You will need to explain that one to me.

I tip and I don't tip..........depends

I would too like to know what not tipping has to do with exploiting 3rd world poverty?

In short, the only reason Thailand is good for you is because the locals earn 3rd world wages. If they earned as much as people in your home country you would be sleeping under a bridge in your own vomit in Thailand just as you would be in your home country. But wages being as they are, down-and-outters on a disability pension from Britain can fullfill all their fantasies in Thailand. That's why tipping is such a threat to the ThaiVisa faithful. If Thai wages were to suddenly to rise to European levels due to over-tipping or general overspending, the party would be over.

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

Correct. smile.png

In short, the only reason Thailand is good for you is because the locals earn 3rd world wages.

No, I'm in Thailand because my wife and children and our farm are here.

If Thai wages were to shoot up, we would just put up the price of the produce we grow.

Still don't understand why anyone not tipping is exploiting 3rd world poverty?

Your post didn't explain that either.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

In short, the only reason Thailand is good for you is because the locals earn 3rd world wages. If they earned as much as people in your home country you would be sleeping under a bridge in your own vomit in Thailand just as you would be in your home country. But wages being as they are, down-and-outters on a disability pension from Britain can fullfill all their fantasies in Thailand. That's why tipping is such a threat to the ThaiVisa faithful. If Thai wages were to suddenly to rise to European levels due to over-tipping or general overspending, the party would be over.

Had to 'Like' the posts from both of you. I just thoroughly enjoy the handbags; keep it up. :thumbsup:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Correct. smile.png

Good on you. And when you die alone I'm sure that someone will weep.

Good on you. And when you die alone I'm sure that someone will weep.

Are you now suggesting we should start tipping our wives, families and friends so that they remember us with love?

Don't worry abot him, he's used to buy his 'friends' with a tip.