Tipping?

AnkertilBrewer

Good on you. And when you die alone I'm sure that someone will weep.

Are you now suggesting we should start tipping our wives, families and friends so that they remember us with love?

Don't worry abot him, he's used to buy his 'friends' with a tip.

I keep giving the mother-in-law a tip, but she's still here.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it 100 years or so ago the girls all went topless.

Where did you get that idea? Pretty much deep-sixes the rest of your argument.

My point is, do we as outsiders really want to start to introduce a system that will become institutionalized like in the US, with "service charges" added to the prices on the menu in addition to having to pay 20% to 25% more on top of all that as a tip, basically regardless of service quality?

No one says you can't offer a gratuity, but if you start mandating it, and imbuing the locals with the sense that tipping is not optional, then you end up with that 50 baht pad thai being over 70 baht. Everywhere.

You want to start paying more for every meal you eat out? Make sure everyone understands that tipping is not just a good idea, it's the unwritten law. Let's start re-writing those menus to add service charges and begin teaching the staff how to scowl at customers who stiff them on tips. Let's transplant these sensible and civilized notions to Thailand as whole. We can be the Johnny Appleseeds of inflated meal pricing.

Edited by insertmembernamehere
  • Like 2

Actually, what's the worst that can happen even in the US if you don't tip? I believe with a concerted effort we can turn that country back from the dark side. When waiters and waitresses start dying off from lack of income, their employers will have no choice but to pay them a fair salary again, or else they'd have to wait tables themselves.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

We can be the Johnny Appleseeds of inflated meal pricing.

It is about 40 years too late for starting the skinflint revolution here.

146074809.jpg?v=1&g=fs1%7C0%7CSKP101%7C74%7C809&s=1

I was hoping it would catch on and then move on to getting these western computers out of the country. Then we could send all the English teachers home.

By Jove I think insertmembernamehere is on to some thing.

I also think the hoarse is dead.beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifclap2.gif

Edited by hellodolly

Let's face it 100 years or so ago the girls all went topless.

Where did you get that idea? Pretty much deep-sixes the rest of your argument.

My point is, do we as outsiders really want to start to introduce a system that will become institutionalized like in the US, with "service charges" added to the prices on the menu in addition to having to pay 20% to 25% more on top of all that as a tip, basically regardless of service quality?

No one says you can't offer a gratuity, but if you start mandating it, and imbuing the locals with the sense that tipping is not optional, then you end up with that 50 baht pad thai being over 70 baht. Everywhere.

You want to start paying more for every meal you eat out? Make sure everyone understands that tipping is not just a good idea, it's the unwritten law. Let's start re-writing those menus to add service charges and begin teaching the staff how to scowl at customers who stiff them on tips. Let's transplant these sensible and civilized notions to Thailand as whole. We can be the Johnny Appleseeds of inflated meal pricing.

Do you really think that tipping has not been introduced here????

I don't think you understand the American system. You tip, but there is no service charge. There are a few restaurants that do add a mandatory service charge but only for large groups. And then no tip is required.

Your math is pretty bad, too. 70 baht for a 50 baht dish would be a 40% tip. No one here is recommending you tip at that rate.

btw, if you're paying 50 baht for a Pad Thai that normally costs 25-35 baht, they're not expecting a tip. They already overcharged you assuming you wouldn't tip.

beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifmfr_closed1.gif

What is there to say?

Yet another classic post. blink.png

Sorry I thought you had been following this thread and realized it was pretty much a dead issue every conceivable response given and reiterated by others.

beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifclap2.gif

Doesn't Thailand have some sort of Animal Rights group?