Saddle Sore :)

cornishcarlos

Here is a question...

How do you know if a saddle will be any good before you buy it ?

I would like to replace the stock saddle on my Merida Matts, very uncomfortable.. As advised by someone on here, I did my 1st race last week with all the stock kit still on the bike. The 2 things that I would definitely consider changing now are the tyres and the saddle.

So, advice, reasons, prices and suppliers for the above would be appreciated.

Most of my riding is mixed between gravel and tarmac, no single track stuff. Looking for a decent semi slick tyre at a reasonable price.

Plus how to chose a saddle ??

Thanks guys and gals

AFAIK there is no way to make sure a saddle is comfortable without trying it for some days. Once you found a saddle that fits you, the next time you buy a saddle try to buy the same or a similar model. There are too many differences in individual anatomy, riding style and personal preferences.

Have you tried to adjust the current saddle? Try to put the nose up or down a bit. Sometimes this helps a lot.

The only thing you can do is to measure the distance between the bones in your a... The bones you sit on smile.png Try to find a saddle that fits the width, not too small, not too wide. A good shop should be able to help you in this. Good luck.

Here is link that you might be interested in looking at http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Many factors contribute to comfort/soreness. In my experience, getting the correct cycling position - seat height, grip on handlebars, distance from shoulders to handlebars etc. - is more important than the type of seat you use. For example, I put the seat up~ 1cm yesterday, and the back wheel felt sluggish on a 40 km trip. I suspect I had overextended my legs, and sort-of lost contact with the pedals etc.

These days I ride with medium thickness saddle [with a suggestion of a median 'love groove'], on top of which is a gelpad with a distinct groove. Can do 10-12hr/day no problems saddle-sore wise.

Of course there are some saddles which will always be instruments of torture. Good luck, AA

I use one of those most uncomfortable looking racing seats on both my Mt. Bike and Road Bike. They take some getting use to but what I was told I find true, once you do it feels good. Obviously a good padded bike shorts is necessary and if you get any rash ect. from the heat I powder my butt with a bit of baby powder.

I've been riding Brooks Saddles on both my Merida Matts HFS 3000 MTB as well as my Surly Long Haul Trucker tourer and find the Brooks B-17 to be an excellent saddle once broken in. I'm currently using a B-17 Special. Brooks saddles are all leather and will conform to your butt making them quite comfortable for both mountain biking and touring. There are I believe 2 Brooks authorized dealers in BKK. Taken care of correctly a Brooks saddle will last for a long time and is well worth the cost.

Brooks web site: http://brooksengland.com/

I've been riding Brooks Saddles on both my Merida Matts HFS 3000 MTB as well as my Surly Long Haul Trucker tourer and find the Brooks B-17 to be an excellent saddle once broken in. I'm currently using a B-17 Special. Brooks saddles are all leather and will conform to your butt making them quite comfortable for both mountain biking and touring. There are I believe 2 Brooks authorized dealers in BKK. Taken care of correctly a Brooks saddle will last for a long time and is well worth the cost.

Brooks web site: http://brooksengland.com/

Thats what I hear.......I have a new Pashley Govnor with the Brooks B17 Champion seat. I really have not rode the bike yet but they claim these seats are the best after broken in.