Cambodian Troops 'Fire At Bangkok Airways Jet': Thai Army

webfact

A few possibilities here

- it was an honest mistake

- Thai army stiring up troubles ahead of CC verdict

- Cambodean army practising a 21-gun salute for tomorrow a bit past 3PM

Cambodian army shot....not Thai army

Maybe I should have written "Thai army stirring up troubles by provoking Cambodean army" ?

Thai Army pilots fly for Bangkok Air?

By tomorrow morning it will be that the Cambodians didn't move back from their lines as promised so we should double our strength at the border.

Curiously cue movements from korat garrisons to bangkok to replace movements to the cambodian border from prachuap, and some Swiss bankers with some odd cheques to clear.

Edited by Thai at Heart

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few possibilities here

Cambodian army shot....not Thai army

Maybe I should have written "Thai army stirring up troubles by provoking Cambodean army" ?

Thai Army pilots fly for Bangkok Air?

With salary levels as they are, it's a distinct possibility that some air force pilots are moonlighting. As passenger you can know that this happened by the complete disregard for passenger comfort, rough turns and rolls, and the odd missile provoked to be launched. Mind you, total disregard of speed limits and air corridors may be translated in shorter flights especially when shot down rolleyes.gif

Come on Thaks, have a word with your buddy. He can't just go shooting at anything that moves even there was one of your TV critics on board!

Bangkok Airline is cheap airline....no risk that any family member sit inside.

Bagnkok Airways is not a cheap airline. It is a full service arline.

Not cheap = True, Full service = Highly questionable

• Like 2

If all can be believed, then this is a serious breakdown in communicaton, and a serious incident. The aircraft would not have been there because it felt like it.

It would have been placed there by Air Traffic Control. Cambodia, or Thai, not sure.

Firing at a civil aircraft is an international breach. someone should be held accountable here. Some ground pounder sitting on a machine gun, some commander, Air Traffic Control?

Dont you think that before opening fire these days, some sort of confirmation should have been sought, particularly if there is no declared war?

• Like 1

How poorly trained are these guys?

If it was dark, and they thought it was a "spy plane," did not a single person in the military think to check with air traffic control at the airport? One call to air traffic control would have solved the issue. Had that plane been shot down, it would have been war, and not a knuckle head in Cambodia thought to check it out BEFORE firing on them. Jeepers creepers.

Who uses a passenger jet as a spy plane and fly it at such low enough altitude, at night, that it can be shot at? And how bad a shot is the Cambodian military to not be able to hit a low flying freaking passenger jet? They using mid-evil catapults or what? Or did they throw Khmer black magic bombs at it?

Interesting to see how this plays out.

proof that big brother in his sandpit is loosing his feathers and influence: a convicted criminal anyhow.

Hun Sen also wants to go more "international" and recognize justice from its neighbouring countries, although...

Another conclusion is that communication between Thailand and Cambodia is not working or deliberatey is not activated... I have my thoughts on this. One doesn't start shooting unidentified aircrafts without knowing who exactly they are shooting at. On the other hand, foreign aircrafts being competely off-course do not venture in foreign airspace without informing the country authorities of what is happening.

How has it come to light that a civil jet was fired upon with a machine gun? Has this come from the jet? Or was this observed from Thai troops on the other side of the fence? Because I think it is quite impossible for a jet to even be aware of gunfire on the ground ....

• Like 1

proof that big brother in his sandpit is loosing his feathers and influence: a convicted criminal anyhow.

Hun Sen also wants to go more "international" and recognize justice from its neighbouring countries, although...

Another conclusion is that communication between Thailand and Cambodia is not working or deliberatey is not activated... I have my thoughts on this. One doesn't start shooting unidentified aircrafts without knowing who exactly they are shooting at. On the other hand, foreign aircrafts being competely off-course do not venture in foreign airspace without informing the country authorities of what is happening.

Every flight, no matter how big or small, is perfectly tracked by air traffic control. Even in Cambodia. They know where the aircraft came from, where they are going, their altitude, speed, and what kind of craft it is. It is completely IMPOSSIBLE to mistake a passenger jet with a spy plane unless you are high as a kite, drunk as a skunk, or just shooting at anything in the sky to get your rocks off. Like I said, one phone call would have sorted it out in a matter of seconds.

• Like 2

A few possibilities here

trigger happy idiot startled by loud noise, could be the 4th....

That would be a 'drunken' trigger happy idiot, from my experience of the Cambodian military.

However, I do have to say that I was only 60kms from the border last year when it kicked off, photographing birds in northern Cambodia. Myself and a friend from Thailand listened to jets flying back and forth bombing the crap out of something. We were confused as we felt we were way too far from the border to hear the fighting. When we got back to the village in the evening they told us the Thai's had bombed an army base about 30kms north of us, which made more sense. Strangely this never made the news. We listened to this going on for about 2 hours with dozens of flights back and forth. I guess the Thai's didn't want to admit invading Cambodian airspace and Hun Sen is hardly likely to admit the Thai's can bomb the crap out of his army whenever they feel like it. The Cambodian air force (a load of old migs) has been slowly rusting at Potchentong airport for at least a decade, so I am pretty sure it wasn't them.

• Like 1

It was dark we couldn't see what type of plane it was.......so we thought it best to shoot it up.

Competence is not a word that troubles these people is it.

They can't afford radar and radio's etc, couldn't ask the unidentified to identify itself first ? No lets start another war.....

Re; competence, looks like Thailand finally has some competition

THAI-KHMER TIES

Reports of shots fired at Thai aircraft near Cambodia downplayed

The Nation

30186075-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Thai commercial aircraft came under warning shots while flying over Sa Kaew near the Thai-Cambodian border, according to an unconfirmed report yesterday evening, with the Foreign Ministry saying it was checking the unaccredited claim.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul told reporters in Phnom Penh that there was no such shooting by Cambodia at the commercial flight.

Having made thorough checks of several agencies and the airline, as well as the Cambodian commander and Thai military attache in Phnom Penh, Surapong had received no confirmation of such an incident, he said.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Sukamphol Suwannathat said there would be adjustments in the conditions for troop deployments by Thailand and Cambodia at Preah Vihear Temple under an injunction from the International Court of Justice (ICJ), in the wake of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's visit, which also marked the first anniversary of the injunction.

Troops from both countries have been stationed at the site but new conditions of troop deployment would be discussed possibly in a visit to Cambodia today by Yingluck. Sukamphol would not give details of the new conditions, and also refused to elaborate on previous adjustments in conditions of troop deployments.

"The readjustments have been done all along but merely silently, because both sides have to keep the numbers of their own forces confidential. But this time it's Cambodia calling for a new round of adjustment. It's essential that we need to make sure, after upcoming discussions with Cambodia's military, that troop strength must be equal on Cambodia's part, and reported later to the ICJ," he said.

Supreme Commander General Thanasak Patimaprakorn had said earlier that the military would brief Yingluck on the latest situation on the Preah Vihear issue upon request. He said that among the new conditions would be a joint mine-clearing operation at and around the temple site, after both sides' army engineers hold talks next week.

On troop deployments, Thanasak said the adjustments would be imposed equally on both sides, as had been the case all along. The situation had been normal and made "both sides happy". He did not give details about which issues Yingluck would discuss with her Cambodian counterpart Hun Sen.

"As for disputes over territorial waters and an issue relating to an MOU on the temple's perimeter, it depends on the government whether to discuss it this time," he said.

On the troop adjustments initiative raised by the Cambodian media, Thanasak said it would be discussed later whether the changes would involve troop numbers or the kinds of weapons and equipment allowed in the area.

The Thai military and government would follow political practice and constitutional rule if any issues with Cambodia required parliamentary approval, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-13

A few possibilities here

You forgot ... It's the yellow shirts fault ... or the Democrats ...

Sent from my shoe phone

Edited by whybother

"It was dark so we could not see what type of plane it was. But it was circling many times and then our soldiers fired 18 shots from a machine gun, but it missed the plane because it was flying very high," Commander Seng Phearin told AFP.
Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul told reporters in Phnom Penh that there was no such shooting by Cambodia at the commercial flight.

Someone is being creative with the truth.

If it did happen they quite fortunate they weren't equipped with rocket launchers or AA ordinance. It could have been Siem Reap airlines for all they knew. Muppets.

Luckily the Cambodian soldiers near the Temple did not have a hand held missile available that night......

Machine gun shots nor normal hand held missiles can not reach 10km altitude.