Single Tourist Visa For 60 Day From Other Country

I am a US national on a Tourist Visa in Sydney for 3 months. I'd like to stay in Thailand for a long period of time. I have multiple questions and will greatly appreciate your help and suggestions.

- Can I apply for any Visa type from Sydney or does it have to be done in the US?

- This probably came up before. Once I get the 60 day Tourist visa, will the Airlines board the plane without a return or onward ticket?

- Once in Thailand, what is the best type of visa to get in order to stay there longer, like a year?

Thank you

Yes you can apply anywhere and yes airline will fly without onward ticket (but Consulate may require to issue the visa). You do not mention any reason more than a tourist visa could be issued. Many people in that position decide to attend language schools and get ED visa and extend on that basis.

You probably would be better off to apply at one of the honorary consulates. The official consulate in Sydney has been reported as not issuing visas with more than one entry.

Contact info for consulates here: http://canberra.thai.../consulate.html

Brisbane as been reported as being very friendly and accepts mail in applications.

A 3 entry tourist visa with 30 day extensions from immigration would give you a total of almost nine months without needing a new visa.

Edited by ubonjoe