Denied 90 Day Non Imm O Visa- Washington Thai Embassy

get a 1 year multi entry and convert it over to a retirement extension of stay visa at any time during the 1 year period and if you are clever enogh leave the kingdom 24 hours before it expires re enter and you then get another 3 months which means 15 months for the price of a 1 year multi entry of course the only draw back is having to do a border run every 90 days but hey treat it as a holiday !!! godd luck !!!

Not exaactly true. To upgrade to retirement, you must have had the Non-O and been in Thailand for at least 60 days before upgrade can be made.

I don't understand why the OP is getting so bummed out about his rejection in Wash DC.

As noted in many posts above, he has several very easily obtained methods of gaining a new entry into Thailand based on his current circumstances en route to restoring his retirement extension status.

--30 day visa exempt entry (with onward air ticket), and then converting to visa status at BKK Immigration (since he's going to have to be arriving/flying into BKK anyway).

--getting a tourist visa from any of the Thai regular or honorary consulates in the U.S., and then following the same conversion to visa process at BKK Immigration. (Just a side note... bank deposits aren't the only way of satisfying the income requirement. A home country consulate monthly income letter obtained in BKK can meet that requirement as well.)

--applying for an O-A retirement visa at any of the consulates in the U.S., and as noted above, the exact requirements for that do vary among the different Thai Embassy/consulate locations. It does have the advantage of providing an almost two year initial stay if handled correctly, but has the downside of having to obtain the police and medical clearances while back in the U.S.

Also, as noted, the staff the OP was dealing with at the Wash DC embassy was NOT Thai Immigration, but rather Ministry of Foreign Affairs staff.

And, once his prior retirement extension had expired, there was no reason to expect the Embassy staff would give him a visa that he didn't qualify for just because he had prior extensions of stay that had expired. As has been noted here often before, the MFA has been tightening up on the eligibility requirements for issuing Non-O visas and has pushed most or all of the honorary consulates to stop issuing them.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Send application to one of the honorary consulates instead.

http://www.thaiconsu.../hon_consul.pdf

Good point, as they are usually easy to deal with. Good Luck.

As noted in some earlier posts, I went to Houston consulate to get a visa and was told they only do tourist. If you longer stay they send the paperwork to DC so this probably would not help if you have been denied there. I opted for multiple entry tourist to get more than 60 days and this was quick and easy.

Just curious why the OP applied for an O visa, if he qualified for an O-A retirement visa and previously had retirement extensions... I guess less paperwork involved? My US doctor still asks me if I need another form filled out for my visa when I see him, even though I've been on extensions for years now. The only part of doing an O-A I thought was total BS, was getting certain pages notarized. The notary wasn't there when the person signed the paper and they don't understand how they can notarize the paper. I called the Consulate and asked them. They said; make a copy of it and then I say; yes, I swear this is a true copy! Then copy that page. Ah, okay...

Just curious why the OP applied for an O visa, if he qualified for an O-A retirement visa and previously had retirement extensions... I guess less paperwork involved? My US doctor still asks me if I need another form filled out for my visa when I see him, even though I've been on extensions for years now. The only part of doing an O-A I thought was total BS, was getting certain pages notarized. The notary wasn't there when the person signed the paper and they don't understand how they can notarize the paper. I called the Consulate and asked them. They said; make a copy of it and then I say; yes, I swear this is a true copy! Then copy that page. Ah, okay...

It just depends on where you apply for your O-A Visa (Long Stay) neither the Embassy in Washington, nor the Consulate in New York require the notorization of documents. To my knowledge only Chicago and Los Angeles follow this silly requirement that is listed on the Minitstry of Foreign Affairs web site

Noteworthy, that just like Immigration here in Thailand, every Embassy or Consulate follows whatever rule they want

Come to Thailand, get an income statement from the US Embassy in Bankok and go to one of several Thai Embassies or Consulates outsideThailand and get a 90 day O visa. Take the O visa and income statement to the Thai immigration office near you and apply for the retirement extension. I am on my sixth retirement extension and have gone through that process twice--I left country once without a re-entry permit, that cancelled my retirement extension, so I had to go through that process twice.

Of course, option 3 is always a possibility, there are other nice places to be.

Much better to have the visa in hand (a single entry non immigrant O - as it is required in any case)

Exactly. My mistake was not calling the Royal Thai Embassy before submitting the application. Its true that the Thai Embassy does not have to issue any visas- they do so at the pleasure of His Majesty's government. I disagree with my fellow posters that proclaim having 10 consequtive extensions of stay means nothing with respect to issuing a 90 day non imm O. But hey, their Embassy and their rules...

Yesterday I received my passport and $80 money order from Washington. I'm calling the Oregan Consulate first thing Monday morning :)

(And weather wise I think I'm back in Thailand already- it has rained every day for the past 10 days!)

You just have to resubmit your application fo a retirement visa. I had a similar problem at the Thai embassy in Canberra. I had applied for a 12 month non "o" witch I had been doing for several years in Perth W A but that consulate closed down and I had to deal with the Embassy in Canberra. They gave me a 90 day Non "O" and said I could extend it------ Wrong. What they should have said was I can apply for a supporting wife visa with marriage cert etc. That way you don't need 800000 B either or an Income of 65000/month / month.

All you need is the marriage cert etc and a statutory declaration stamped at the U S or in my case the Australian embassy in Bangkok to the effect that you have an income of over 45000 B / month. Thai immigration only wanted to see I had a Thai bank book although that didn't show my income. My income was shown in my Aust bank but they were not interested in that.

You just have to resubmit your application fo a retirement visa. I had a similar problem at the Thai embassy in Canberra. I had applied for a 12 month non "o" witch I had been doing for several years in Perth W A but that consulate closed down and I had to deal with the Embassy in Canberra. They gave me a 90 day Non "O" and said I could extend it------ Wrong. What they should have said was I can apply for a supporting wife visa with marriage cert etc. That way you don't need 800000 B either or an Income of 65000/month / month.

All you need is the marriage cert etc and a statutory declaration stamped at the U S or in my case the Australian embassy in Bangkok to the effect that you have an income of over 45000 B / month. Thai immigration only wanted to see I had a Thai bank book although that didn't show my income. My income was shown in my Aust bank but they were not interested in that.

This is off topic question but does Aussie embassy in bkk require anything for proof of income to issue the stamped declaration or must you just affirm its true with your signature like the US embassy.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

They gave me a 90 day Non "O" and said I could extend it------ Wrong.

Actually they were right - and this is done every day of the year. Perhaps you mean you must meet financials for a retirement extension of stay? The multi entry non immigrant O visa is not a retirement visa. The long stay (retirement) visa in O-A and indeed does require meeting financials.