Where To Look For Professional English Speaking Web Designer?

mja1906

Hi, any recommendations/advice on how I can go about finding a web designer to revamp my site ? The site is for a small business so it needs to be professional quality, designer needs to speak English. I have a feeling this could be like finding an needle in a haystack, and could be hit or miss.

Any advice ? cheers

The owner of 'The Garden Guest House' on Rotchendamnoen Rd makes some of the most beautiful, creative websites I've seen. You might want to stop in and talk with him. His name is Tim. He's a Brit, so his English is almost fluent.

The owner of 'The Garden Guest House' on Rotchendamnoen Rd makes some of the most beautiful, creative websites I've seen. You might want to stop in and talk with him. His name is Tim. He's a Brit, so his English is almost fluent.

Good one

"He's a Brit, so his English is almost fluent"

• Like 1

Seconded smile.png

Yer dead rite aboot that mate. I no a inglish lad in CM too whoo speeks rite propar inglish lyk what I do. Ah dead posh like. Problim is wen yer get git Americin forinner to do it for yer thee rite all yer contint dead rong an yerl end up avin ter waist gud muny dooin it al over agin like. Alweys best to ter choose a proper inglis bloke cos forriners just cant speek propir Inglish like wat we do in Engerland.

An dunt waist yer time if thee say ther frum Skotlind or Eyrish or Welch or Londin Brits.Cos I cant undrestand what there on e boot eyther. Yer best bet is wiv a proper Geordie bloke.

Mind yoo if ther frum Hollind in the Neverlands. Theyl do the job evin bettir. Thee speek rite propir gud Ingerlish the Duscht do.

Edit dew to spelig mistayk.

Edited by TantraMantra
  • Like 2

just curious, are you talking about this http://www.thegardenchiangmai.com/ ?

I am wondering the same are you talking about http://www.thegardenchiangmai.com/ ? If so, no offense but its not exactly very professional looking

• Like 1

To me, professional means; 'does it get the message across in a clear and easy to understand fashion.' Everything working, all links fast and smooth, and all to the point. I suppose if one equates 'professional' with lots of moving images, scrolling marquees, and dazzling Las Vegas fakery, yes... you're right. I guess it's like the difference between 'beauty' and 'glitzy.' I go for beauty.

No disrespect to The Garden, but if that is something that judge as being "beautiful and creative" you either have rather unfortunately taste or have had extremely limited internet exposure.

To me, professional means; 'does it get the message across in a clear and easy to understand fashion.' Everything working, all links fast and smooth, and all to the point. I suppose if one equates 'professional' with lots of moving images, scrolling marquees, and dazzling Las Vegas fakery, yes... you're right. I guess it's like the difference between 'beauty' and 'glitzy.' I go for beauty.

The word 'professional' is so far removed from scrolling marquees and animated GIFs that I don't even know where to start... other than point you to awwwards.com for examples of real creativity and beauty!

No disrespect to The Garden, but if that is something that judge as being "beautiful and creative" you either have rather unfortunately taste or have had extremely limited internet exposure.

Fortunate for me. I find beauty in so many places. smile.png

The word 'professional' is so far removed from scrolling marquees and animated GIFs that I don't even know where to start...

No need to start. I know where "I" find it. But thanks anyway.

The word 'professional' is so far removed from scrolling marquees and animated GIFs that I don't even know where to start... other than point you to awwwards.com for examples of real creativity and beauty!

Yes, it's rather cluttered site BUT, at least it doesn't use flash like so many thai based business webites do for simple hotel and such sites. Only good for the website developer to get more money for making simple changes. And super annoying when you have to wait longer for every page to load. So, that's a big plus for his site.

Looks like he learned to do his own website and does for others too. Other than his site being very 'busy', it's not bad.

Funny that cos he said his website (Garden Guest House) was built by a Thai guy........mmm

It does like quite dated though. Websites need to be given a make over or remade every few years or they look old fashioned. No need for glitz though. I use a lot of templates from

http://www.joomlart.com/drupal/themes/showcase They're modern looking and easy to customize for a professional look.

If a website designer offers to make a website from scratch, be very suspicious. It's like inventing the wheel. No need when there are so many great almost free templates and modules to use, which can save 75% of the work. Ask for a designer that knows how to work with joomla or drupal and save a fortune.

I used to be involved in making sites now I use http://www.getacoder.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all...... just been quoted 28k by a professional design co. in CM for about 13pages.

How does this sound? I know its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question

I like their portfolio and they are professionals, the appeal is that all the other sites they have done rank very highly on Google. Although they say they don't offer SEO service, they only make the site Google bot friendly. Whatever they are doing, it must be right, cos all their sites on 1st page of google

Received cheaper quotes in the area of 10k but I think these were more by amateurs who 'picked up' web design along the way

Thanks all...... just been quoted 28k by a professional design co. in CM for about 13pages.

How does this sound? I know its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question

I like their portfolio and they are professionals, the appeal is that all the other sites they have done rank very highly on Google. Although they say they don't offer SEO service, they only make the site Google bot friendly. Whatever they are doing, it must be right, cos all their sites on 1st page of google

Received cheaper quotes in the area of 10k but I think these were more by amateurs who 'picked up' web design along the way

It's hard to say if the quote is good without seeing their work....It's the equivalent of paying about $2,000 in US or £1,300 in UK so it's a lot. But if it's an ecommerce site with shopping cart etc then not unreasonable. Again I suggest you consider a Joomla or Droopal template as most of the work is already done. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Also only offer 25-30% deposit and the rest on completion to your satisfaction.

Edited by TantraMantra

It's hard to say if the quote is good without seeing their work....It's the equivalent of paying about $2,000 in US or £1,300 in UK so it's a lot. But if it's an ecommerce site with shopping cart etc then not unreasonable. Again I suggest you consider a Joomla or Droopal template as most of the work is already done. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks for the tips TantraMantra, didn't know about the deposit bit. The quote is for 28,000baht so I think thats 570gbp or or 890usd. Not sure what he's gonna use, but have asked him. Its not an ecommerce site, just a simple tour operator website. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the tips TantraMantra, didn't know about the deposit bit. The quote is for 28,000baht so I think thats 570gbp or or 890usd. Not sure what he's gonna use, but have asked him. Its not an ecommerce site, just a simple tour operator website. Will keep you posted.

My comparison was based on wage rates not exchange rates. Google joomlart showcase yourself and see if there is anything suitable. I'm sure they have a travel or tour template. I bought use of all of them for about $70. Then you just need to upload your own content, logo etc. Easy SEO too for every page. I have several International 1st page Google joomla sites. Art related. They all have content management systems so you can you easily do your own updates. If your chosen developers don't know and use Joomla...an Alarm bell should ring in your head. Show them...because a Joomla, Drupal or Magenta site would cost $8,000 if done from scratch. Joomla give too much. You have to strip them down by closing down the pages and modules you don't need....

Just my 2 baht worth..Good luck