Rope Or Green/White Seasnake?

Please tell me this is just a rope :-)

Sat and watched some of the pictures we took while trying to snorkle and shot this at north end chaweng.

If this is a seasnake i will never enter the water again so i hope its just a rope,that play tricks with my mind.

I am scared enough entering the waters since my accident in water last year lol :-)

post-138525-0-56391800-1342262828_thumb.

Thanks.

Then i can enter the water again without a pair of spare pants in my backpack :-)

Getting jumpy enough as it is when i swim into seaweed and stuff turning up right infront of me, but i hope in time i get less nervous.

:-)

Yes their are sea snakes, seen a few in the waters off Ao Nang. However to be bitten by a sea snake requires really bad luck as they have small mouths and would usually only be able to inject venom say in your finger. There have been a few deaths caused by sea snakes in Australia, don't know of any tourist deaths in Thailand.

Edited by simple1

It's not something I have ever seen, sea slugs are usually blackish and much fatter... never seen sea snakes around here, that is not to say there is not any.....

Perhaps you could head back and see if you could find it again and get a closer shot.....& see if it moves.... w00t.gifbiggrin.pngwink.png

Snorkeled right over sea snakes a few times down in the Cook Islands where you sometimes have a long run over very shallow coral and weeds to get to deeper water. It is a bit unnerving to see them inches below the mask and knowing your body has yet to pass over them. No harm though, and if you passively swim by, you should be okay. All bets are off if you try to grab one.

It's simply not true sea snakes cannot bite you other than on the finger.

Gulf has many types including :sea kraits, banded sea snake,yellow bellied snake and on occasion a relative of the olive sea snake.

All of these can eat prey much larger than there jaws suggest, the myth comes from the regular reports from fishermen who get bit on the hand or finger when in nets.

However they are generally very docile when in open ocean, most Likely to have an issue when they are breeding ( kraits for eg come on land up to elevations of 200 mtrs) and you accidentally stand on one or pick up.

Relax op they are fine when swimming if you are lucky enough to see one relax and it will give you a good ignoring.

Thanks for the heads upsmile.png