How To Waterproof My Laptop

JurgenG

This summer I may have to work with my computer on board of a litle boat. There is no protection and as soon as there is a bit of wind or the boat speed up you get easily wet. And I need to use the computer not only store it.

Is there any way to put the computer (Mc Book Pro 15") in a pouch that protect it from the water but you can still use it at the same time ?

One thing you're going to run into is heat buildup. The airflow will just recirculate in a plastic bag and your MBP will eventually overheat.

There are water proof cases to store your MBP and silicone keyboard protectors, but nothing to keep it dry while running. The MBP has fans and speakers and lots of other entry points for water.

I'd suggest getting an iPad or disposable Android tablet and putting it in a plastic baggie. Unless you can find a nice mylar plastic bag, the typical cheap ones will make seeing the screen very blurry and hard to see.

Sounds like you'll need to store the laptop in a water proof case and when you need to use it. Pull over (stop the boat or beach it) for the duration of your laptop session.

Thanks for your advises.

I think I'll do it the traditional way, a paper note pad to write down the data when sailing and I will copy them in the notebook at the end of the day. There are still problems technology doesn't have the answer for.

Edited by JurgenG

Thanks for your advises.

I think I'll do it the traditional way, a paper note pad to write down the data when sailing and I will copy them in the notebook at the end of the day. There are still problems technology doesn't have the answer for.

Sure, there is:Winmate G-WIN IP67 Series more info here

Thanks for your advises.

If you only need to record waypoints amd navigate to gps points there is a simpler solution:

The garmin fenix can create and follow routes and mark up to 1,000 waypoints which you can navigate with ease. In addition fēnix can store up to 10,000 track points. Share data wirelessly with other compatible Garmin GPS units and smartphones*. Naturally, as a navigating GPS+ABC watch, it also includes altimeter, barometer, 3-axis electronic compass and temperature sensor. More info here

post-59522-0-34487100-1342453837_thumb.j

post-59522-0-72704700-1342454900_thumb.j

Edited by JakeBKK

Thanks for your advises.

If you only need to record waypoints amd navigate to gps points there is a simpler solution:

The garmin fenix can create and follow routes and mark up to 1,000 waypoints which you can navigate with ease. In addition fēnix can store up to 10,000 track points. Share data wirelessly with other compatible Garmin GPS units and smartphones*. Naturally, as a navigating GPS+ABC watch, it also includes altimeter, barometer, 3-axis electronic compass and temperature sensor. More info here

dam_n GPS keeps getting smaller and more technically advanced every time I turn around. I saw on the Golf channel there is now a GPS golf watch that can download 3,000 courses onto it. Way cool stuff here!

Edited by BKS22

Thanks for your advises.

dam_n GPS keeps getting smaller and more technically advanced every time I turn around. I saw on the Golf channel there is now a GPS golf watch that can download 3,000 courses onto it. Way cool stuff here!

seen that one , nice watch! here is a boat involved, so i thougt the fenix is a better suited.