What Is The Meaning Of “Lak Len-Len”?

WorkingTourist

Bangkok - Thai word for delicicious - 'Alloy'

Correct pronunciation is aroi, not alloy (see reply #12).

Gladiator said Bangkok, not Central Thai or Siamese smile.png

I suppose I should have realised something was up when I noticed he can't spell delicious in English, let alone a romanised version of the Thai word.

No it doesn't.

Mate, my wife is sitting here beside me correcting my spelling ("don't forget mai ek over law ling, darling")

I think she knows what it means.

Mr. WorkingTourist is being asked by his gf if she is just a holiday romance for him.

It's only a regional accent in the north-east because Lao doesn't natively have Rs at all.

Reversion to L when it should really be an R derives from the central plains and is a socio-economic (working class) speech pattern that has lately been adopted by all strata of society as an informal mode of speech.

In the south they say their Rs quite clearly and in the north R becomes H. Anyone from the north or south who says L in place of R is speaking or trying to speak central Thai.

Edited by Trembly

In the south they say their Rs quite clearly and in the north R becomes H. Anyone from the north or south who says L in place of R is speaking or trying to speak central Thai.

Also in Chanthaburi (where I learned most of my Thai). They really "roll" their R's there...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

OK . . . I've been told it's 'slang' and just means "fun love" or "play love" . . . i.e. a gig/kik, a fun relationship with no commitment.

Having a gig/kik is NOT a relationship with no commitment....but that's a whole new topic...

Now I have 27 different translations, thanks

Well I'm sure you get the drift...