Accused MPs Not Off The Hook Yet, High Court Declares

webfact

At the beginning of 2012 the Puea Thai-led government began fulfilling one of its main election promises, the pursuit of constitutional reform, which could lead to the nation's 19th Constitution since 1932

https://www.cia.gov/...emplate_th.html

Find me something from election speeches and I'll accept I'm wrong.

And so we're on the same page, campaigning for "amnesty" or "reconciliation" are not the same.

well the usually more unfriendly media sources seem to have accepted that it was part of their campaign because if you go back to august (when they first announced their policy statement to parliament) you can find articles that publish the same claim ie it was part of their campaign.

it doesn't seem that it was ever challenged but maybe you know more about it than all media sources and the cia.

i did look for speeches and i must concede that i didn't find any that talked about charter amendment, though i didn't find many speeches at all tbh.

plus it's a pretty hard thing to search for since 'charter' is such a buzz word of late...

i only found a thaksin speech from april 2011 where he calls for charter amendment, but i figured thaksin and ptp/red shirts are two entirely different entities and surely none of the ptp would restate his suggestion, surely not...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the beginning of 2012 the Puea Thai-led government began fulfilling one of its main election promises, the pursuit of constitutional reform, which could lead to the nation's 19th Constitution since 1932

And so we're on the same page, campaigning for "amnesty" or "reconciliation" are not the same.

well the usually more unfriendly media sources seem to have accepted that it was part of their campaign because if you go back to august (when they first announced their policy statement to parliament) you can find articles that publish the same claim ie it was part of their campaign.

it doesn't seem that it was ever challenged but maybe you know more about it than all media sources and the cia.

i did look for speeches and i must concede that i didn't find any that talked about charter amendment, though i didn't find many speeches at all tbh.

plus it's a pretty hard thing to search for since 'charter' is such a buzz word of late...

i only found a thaksin speech from april 2011 where he calls for charter amendment, but i figured thaksin and ptp/red shirts are two entirely different entities and surely none of the ptp would restate his suggestion, surely not...

Pheua Thai like to claim the charter amendment was in the manifesto, therefore a vote for Pheua Thai was a vote for charter amendment.

But I think a far better yardstick for deciding what swayed the voters is to look at the posters during the election campaign and see what they highlighted.

Every Pheua Thai poster I saw highlighted the minimum 300 baht wage,the 15,000 baht salary fordegree holders, one tablet PC per child, waterway\dams\irrigation system nationwide,(ie no more floods or droughts).

No mention of charted reform on the posters.

Pheua Thai like to claim the charter amendment was in the manifesto, therefore a vote for Pheua Thai was a vote for charter amendment.

But I think a far better yardstick for deciding what swayed the voters is to look at the posters during the election campaign and see what they highlighted.

Every Pheua Thai poster I saw highlighted the minimum 300 baht wage,the 15,000 baht salary fordegree holders, one tablet PC per child, waterway\dams\irrigation system nationwide,(ie no more floods or droughts).

No mention of charted reform on the posters.

i agree with your point

personally i'm not of the viewpoint that because people voted for them it means they all automatically want charter change, i was earlier just pointing out how some people could form such a viewpoint.

my view is that the changes should be ultimately decided upon by the people via referendum, this was ptp's stated intention since it was announced in parliament back in august.

whereas a referendum with a blind vote on changes that don't yet exist is just ridiculous.

Another urgent policy to be implemented in the first year as read out by PM Yingluck in her government's policy statement August last year. Next month we'll get a nice "achievements overview" I'm sure

"1.16 Expedite political reforms with broad based public participation by the appointment of an independent constitution drafting committee to draft a new constitution to ensure that the exercise of political power is based on the rule of law; the exercise of governmental authority is accountable to the people and are open to scrutiny. The new draft constitution will be approved by referendum."

http://www.thailandtoday.org/node/509

Right....

And these same news channels normally refer to Thaksin as a deposed PM which he wasn't and that he was found guilty of corruption rather than abuse of power.

Laziness and inaccuracy from the cutnpaste factories.

Right....

And these same news channels normally refer to Thaksin as a deposed PM which he wasn't and that he was found guilty of corruption rather than abuse of power.

Laziness and inaccuracy from the cutnpaste factories.

are you talking about the nation and the other paper? cos i was.