Samui Vs Sihanoukville

Dolgure

I know I'm asking too much questions, but pls let me make 1 more.

I noticed so many respected members of this forum have been in Cambodia.

So what are pros and cons of residing on Samui or in Sihanoukville?

I have to make up my mind and need your opinions pls.

Thank you in advance

So far, Cambodia seems to have 2 better points (if I understand 'em right)

-1year visa is easy to obtain and there's no need for visa-runs

-life (including appartment renting) is cheapper there than on Samui

Is that correct?

• Like 1

Is that correct?

You missed the important one - beer is cheaper as well. thumbsup.gif

If you think that Thailand is a developing country - wait until you get to Cambodia - but you should go and see it for sure. Not certain what will happen when the Mekong gets dammed by the Lao. I would guess that food prices in Cambodia would rise quite quickly. Khmer food bah.gif is nothing like Thai food. licklips.gif (Apart that they both come with rice.)

And the roads ohmy.png ....... Go and see.

• Like 1

Sihanookville is OK for a few days but to live there, no, its too far from anywhere, PP is a 5 hour drive. There really isnt anything to do. Upside is visas are easily obtained and you can work on a business visa immediatly if you can find work. Good cheese, ham etc because of the French influence.

• Like 1

Has Samui gone downhill to such an extent that it's reasonable to ask that question?

Yes the poster has only been here 5 minute's and thinks it might be easier to get a safety deposit box in Cambodia and can get some motorbike riding lesson's but he's going to get his teeth fixed before he leaves Samui.

Hope he doesn't think I'm picking on him I wish him all the best.

Sihanoukville's a great place! MUCH cheaper than Samui, 50 cents to $1 for a beer and ridiculously cheap to eat.

I'd say it's fine for a holiday...you can have the wild party places if you want but also has much quieter places too where you can just chill out and relax. Not sure if i'd want to live there though as other posters have said, it's faraway from anywhere so lots of time in buses to get anywhere.....good for an extended visa run from Thailand, have a week, and head back.

Accommodation is also cheap...$7 per night i paid for my own bungalow on Victory Hill with hot/cold shower and cable TV, also had 2 large double beds in it!

Still prefer Samui though but as i say, Sihanoukville's good for a visit though...and yes Khmer food is NOTHING like Thai food, i reverted back to eating western food when i was there!

Has Samui gone downhill to such an extent that it's reasonable to ask that question?

hahaha, good question!

Trust me, the difference is 180 degrees! Essentially, Snooky is a craphole of epic proportions and Samui is a nice place; easy enough?

Seriously, I have been there and I have been to Samui, which I don't even like, but it's a million times better than Snooky. Cost-wise; well, lodging is surely cheaper in Cambo, but then again you get what you pay for. You'd be absolutely bored to death at Snooky also; Victory hill is 2 small roads with maybe 10 bars total and a few restaurants, maybe 20 or 30 skanky hookers hanging around. If you are thinking mini Pattaya, sure; if you want to compare it to pattaya like a year after it was first discovered by westerners.

Like beggars constantly bothering you, even when you are reading or sleeping on the beach?

Like tuk-tuk drivers and other touts constantly bothering you, even after you have said NO to 5 or 10 others in a 1-mile stretch?

Like no infrastructure, crappy roads, lack of A/C and hardly any nightlife?

Go to Snooky!

Like 1st world living standards with none of the hassles above?

Go to Samui.....or better yet, try living on Koh Phangan for a year or 2; I just spent the past 6 high seasons there and loved it, it's far superior to Samui, less expensive and no Russkies.

• Like 1

Some of us remember Samui 10 years ago, before all the Western amenities, when Lamai had no McDonalds, and when Nathon Town was quaint. Now it's a big resort island, with prices and resentful locals to match.

If it's a pro to stay in overpriced hotel room, and commune with other farangs, then I suppose Samui, or any one of half a dozen developed islands in the area will make you think Thailand is great.

If all that corporate flash doesn't impress you, Sihanoukville is quiet, relatively cheap, with PLENTY of things to do in the surrounding area, albeit a little light for whoremongering.

Yeah, go ahead, fly to a third-world country, looking for first-world standards. That's really experiencing SEA...

• Like 2

Go to Samui.....or better yet, try living on Koh Phangan for a year or 2; I just spent the past 6 high seasons there and loved it, it's far superior to Samui, less expensive and no Russkies.

No Russians? ha ! when were you last there? (not that there is any problems with the Russians I have meet... nice people some of them, I could say the same about people from other countries too.... some of them!!! tongue.png )

Also to say better than Samui, well that depends on what part of Samui you are referring too.... rolleyes.gif

Prices on KP are generally higher than Samui too, (except perhaps in Chawang)

I too have lived on KP and visit there at least once a month... it's easy to see the difference.... even at 7-11 things are a few baht more! coffee1.gif

hahaha, good question!

Trust me, the difference is 180 degrees! Essentially, Snooky is a craphole of epic proportions and Samui is a nice place; easy enough?

Seriously, I have been there and I have been to Samui, which I don't even like, but it's a million times better than Snooky. Cost-wise; well, lodging is surely cheaper in Cambo, but then again you get what you pay for. You'd be absolutely bored to death at Snooky also; Victory hill is 2 small roads with maybe 10 bars total and a few restaurants, maybe 20 or 30 skanky hookers hanging around. If you are thinking mini Pattaya, sure; if you want to compare it to pattaya like a year after it was first discovered by westerners.

Like beggars constantly bothering you, even when you are reading or sleeping on the beach?

Like tuk-tuk drivers and other touts constantly bothering you, even after you have said NO to 5 or 10 others in a 1-mile stretch?

Like no infrastructure, crappy roads, lack of A/C and hardly any nightlife?

Go to Snooky!

Like 1st world living standards with none of the hassles above?

Bored to death at Snooky? I assume you never went out in the Serendipity beach area where there are numerous bars/clubs that are open til daylight then? Now to me a place that's open all night whether it's in Sihanoukville or Samui is no difference apart from the fact in Sihanoukville it'll cost you a fraction of the price than it would in Samui!

Yes, there's nothing at Victory hill, yes you get the usual beach sellers, tuk tuk guys blah blah....exactly the same as you get pestered on Chaweng beach with the sellers, even offering drugs openly too so again, no difference whatsoever between the 2 places. I paid $7 per night for my bungalow and it was great, but yet again i'm not wanting to stay in a Hilton type standard place anyway and wasn't expecting plush 5* hotels in Snooky.

As i say, i much prefer Samui (prob just because i know it so well now and have many friends there) but Sihanoukville's a good place for a break away and i know many people from varied age groups who are like minded about this....but to say you'd be bored to death, well, i really don't know what you're looking for if the whole strip of bars/clubs open until daylight is not deemed lively enough for you..... biggrin.png

• Like 1

No Russians? ha ! when were you last there? (not that there is any problems with the Russians I have meet... nice people some of them, I could say the same about people from other countries too.... some of them!!! tongue.png )

Also to say better than Samui, well that depends on what part of Samui you are referring too.... rolleyes.gif

I too have lived on KP and visit there at least once a month... it's easy to see the difference.... even at 7-11 things are a few baht more! coffee1.gif

As I say, I just spent the last 6 high seasons there. There is ONE Russian restaurant in Ban Tai, the town I live in; none that I could see anywhere else on the island. How many does Samui have by now?

I'd also say the hotels in Samui are more expensive, no? Most of the places on Phangan are budget, backpacker-style places, between about 500 and 1000 baht.

Dunno for sure, I have rarely visited Samui since I discovered Phangan in the spring of 2006 except to get on and off an airplane and maybe meet up with friends. Seems more expensive to me over there, but then again I am used to the prices in Ban Tai; my awesome 3-room bungalow is only 15K a month, I eat Thai food with a watermelon shake for 70 baht all in, breakfast is less.....don't drink alcohol so don't care about that, gas is cheap, non-western food is cheap, electric I would imagine is pretty much the same? we also don't have any McDonalds or KFC or Home Pro/Tesco, so nowhere to tempt you to spend more cash.

Some of us remember Samui 10 years ago, before all the Western amenities

Yeah, go ahead, fly to a third-world country, looking for first-world standards. That's really experiencing SEA...

man, you were really on your self-righteous "know more than all you other posters" horse today, eh Sateev?

You don't know me from a hole in the wall but rip my words in 2 different threads, way cool....for your information I actually first saw Samui 14 year ago, my first time there was in late 1998. At that time I was a backpacker and seriously poor; 35 years old, my first trip to Asia, staying in 300 baht a night dumps {Coconut bungalows, Lamai beach} and even worse 3 dollar a night guest houses in Vietnam and Cambo. I made some great financial moves between 2004 and now, allowing me to live the lifestyle I choose, anywhere I choose. If I don't like Snooky, it's because I have been there and didn't like it, OK? I told the guy my honest opinion, it's what HE was asking for!

Jeesh, you seem agitated that some other people are living a better life than you or can pick where we want to live and don't have to stay up in Issan rubbing 2 satangs together just to get by......some of us [believe it or not] even have more travel experience than you do in SE Asia. As I say, I have been coming here since '98 and have been to every country in this region many times over; you seem to have a problem that I have planned for this part of my life better than you have and actually want some mod cons heading into my old age! Somehow that is a bad thing or not cool in your mind, I don't get that.

Get a clue man, some of us want to live in Asia just part of the year and actually be comfortable, this "It's only the real Thailand if you are poor and have to live here year 'round" BS has gotten old already.

Edited by Deaw

Also to say better than Samui, well that depends on what part of Samui you are referring too.... rolleyes.gif When I made a few days visit to Samui, once on holiday, I did not like it either, but once you do live here you realize it has just about everything "westerners" need... and you discover some of the nice aspects of it... once off the ring road!

As I say, I just spent the last 6 high seasons there. There is ONE Russian restaurant in Ban Tai, the town I live in; none that I could see anywhere else on the island. How many does Samui have by now?

I'd also say the hotels in Samui are more expensive, no? Most of the places on Phangan are budget, backpacker-style places, between about 500 and 1000 baht.

Dunno for sure, I have rarely visited Samui since I discovered Phangan in the spring of 2006 except to get on and off an airplane and maybe meet up with friends. Seems more expensive to me over there, but then again I am used to the prices in Ban Tai; my awesome 3-room bungalow is only 15K a month, I eat Thai food with a watermelon shake for 70 baht all in, breakfast is less.....don't drink alcohol so don't care about that, gas is cheap, non-western food is cheap, electric I would imagine is pretty much the same? we also don't have any McDonalds or KFC or Home Pro/Tesco, so nowhere to tempt you to spend more cash.

It comes down to different strokes for different folks... wink.png

I always loved staying on KP and I still like visiting it, it is a nice place for a holiday and short term living, but when one lives here full time KP, at least for me has not got enough going on... at least for what I like doing! (that's not bar hopping for sure) ...

It must be a while since you were last there? as there has been a Tesco ( albeit a mini one) there since 2008 and now a Home Mart, w00t.gif not as large as the one on Samui or elsewhere, perhaps 2 or 3 years now...... Things are slowly changing, not seen KFC or Mac Donalds but those are two places we could live with out, even on Samui !!!! whistling.gif Food depends on restaurant location, not a big difference, I can think of one Russian restaurant on Samui, but I am sure there is more.... Borsch is not my favorite meal!!!sick.gifbiggrin.png but you always pay more when there is a beach view!!! Gas is cheaper on Samui too! It all comes down to population base...

As for short term rentals you can find the same deals on both islands, long term rentals wins hands down on Samui, for what you can get (if you look) I used to pay 8000 baht plus electric, for a house on KP, pretty basic..... I've been in my house on Samui going into 4 years, now, at 5000 baht, a month including electric... and it is not a dump spacious with indoor "western" kitchen... 200 % better house! thumbsup.gif....

These places are available, if you search, although when I found mine I was not even looking for a place here, a friend had brought me over to Samui for a couple of days .... a month later I was here and not regretted the move...wink.png ..... I also get one month free as I pay one year in advance.... that can be a good negotiation tool on long term places.

As for comparing with Cambodia or Laos, I cannot comment, I have not been to either, but I hear that Thailand in general is a better place... some people just compare with the cost of a beer, a little sad really!!! !blink.png

That's my point of view, I am sure others might have different opinions! wai.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

Yes the poster has only been here 5 minute's and thinks it might be easier to get a safety deposit box in Cambodia and can get some motorbike riding lesson's but he's going to get his teeth fixed before he leaves Samui.

Hope he doesn't think I'm picking on him I wish him all the best.

No, that's ok with me. Nobody likes awkward and incompetent newbies. But some ppl still find it possible to answer newbies' questions, and I'm totally grateful to those who did in this and other "stupid" threads you mentioned;)

I really like Sihanoukville. Pristine beaches and very cheap lodging, food and drinks. Unfortunately two quite important things are missing. Infrastructure is woeful and decent medical care seems to be completely missing. It's not a pleasant thought thinking about being on a wooden bench in a poorly equipped clinic needing emergency care that is simply not available.

No, that's ok with me. Nobody likes awkward and incompetent newbies. But some ppl still find it possible to answer newbies' questions, and I'm totally grateful to those who did in this and other "stupid" threads you mentioned;)

I don't think that your question was stupid, it's just that those 2 places are so different than each other that I never would have thought of comparing them. A little like asking "which is better Grindelwald or Fargo?"

Edited by OriginalPoster

Some of us remember Samui 10 years ago, before all the Western amenities

man, you were really on your self-righteous "know more than all you other posters" horse today, eh Sateev?

You don't know me from a hole in the wall but rip my words in 2 different threads, way cool....for your information I actually first saw Samui 14 year ago, my first time there was in late 1998. At that time I was a backpacker and seriously poor; 35 years old, my first trip to Asia, staying in 300 baht a night dumps {Coconut bungalows, Lamai beach} and even worse 3 dollar a night guest houses in Vietnam and Cambo. I made some great financial moves between 2004 and now, allowing me to live the lifestyle I choose, anywhere I choose. If I don't like Snooky, it's because I have been there and didn't like it, OK? I told the guy my honest opinion, it's what HE was asking for!

Jeesh, you seem agitated that some other people are living a better life than you or can pick where we want to live and don't have to stay up in Issan rubbing 2 satangs together just to get by......some of us [believe it or not] even have more travel experience than you do in SE Asia. As I say, I have been coming here since '98 and have been to every country in this region many times over; you seem to have a problem that I have planned for this part of my life better than you have and actually want some mod cons heading into my old age! Somehow that is a bad thing or not cool in your mind, I don't get that.

Get a clue man, some of us want to live in Asia just part of the year and actually be comfortable, this "It's only the real Thailand if you are poor and have to live here year 'round" BS has gotten old already.

Yawn.

Is that correct?

OK; i lived in Phuket since 1985 and visited samui off an on since then,( first trip there was in '84 when i stayed at Mae Nam beach living on 150 baht/day which payed for food, drink and bungalow) and do not care for it. and am moving to SHV, ( am currently up in Siem Rep)

Have spent time in SHV. I lived in Phnom Penh for 10 months in '08-09, rent might be cheaper but what u get is nothing like what u get in samui or phuket. Have friends there an they pay anywhere from $15-300 for a ROOM with Kitchen.

I had a two bedroom house with air con and yard for $400 in Phuket.

Drinking is cheaper. Eating can be MORE expensive as much of the Cambodia food is nothing like street food in Thailand, So many people end up eating western food, average meal is $3-6.

Cons

Electric is more

internet is more and speeds are 1/5 what u get in Thailand.

No real supermarkets in SHV.

Cops can be a hassle

Beach is not as nice

You get some really fuc_ked up end of the road westerners there.

If ur single the chances of remaining so in SHV are high :-) Choice is dismal, Better finding company in Phnom Penh

Beggars can be a pain but a no will send them away ( as will no to the tuk tuk drivers who seem to think NOBODY should walk anywhere

PLus

Cambodians are nicer.

more opportunity to do business if u have an idea an some cash

no work permit needed

You can get some decent thai/chinese style food for $2-3 /dish

If u like to Gamble, casinos are around

More laid back as long as ur not in the central area and plan ur stays around the beaches

AS to the comment about roads. Most are in fairly good condition depending on where you are.

I juts did 2 weeks driving around Laos before i entered Cambodia and the roads there are really fuc_kED

did the trip down to Sisphon from Surin in Thailand via Banteay Chhmar, 100 kms of drit road!!

Many of the places in SHV ( otres can be a bitch to get to in the rainy seaosn but its the nicest beach in SHV) are easily accessible but pot holed.

You want to compare Laos; Thailand- Cambodia.

$ to $ gets you more and better quality in Thailand for nearly everything, I found Laos expensive and i am no backpacker but average spending about $50/day ( excluding gas for my car) for two of us this past 3 weeks from Phuket to Northern Thailand, all thru Laos an into Cambodia.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

I don't think that your question was stupid, it's just that those 2 places are so different than each other that I never would have thought of comparing them. A little like asking "which is better Grindelwald or Fargo?"

The OP was asking for info on the difference between the two places, not for a value judgment of his question. Just because you know the difference doesn't mean he does. Otherwise, why would he ask?

If you have a reason or reasons to be and like it in Sihanoukville, it will work for you and the same goes for Samui. Without having even been several times, it is really not possible to answer this question IMHO. I'd rather shoot myself in the head than spend evening after evening in bars with girls that have had about 6 years of schooling but to each their own. smile.png

If yu think Khmer food is not delish, you just have not eaten in the right places. Agreed on the bad state of some of the foreigners you can run into in Cambodia but that's a ghost from the past "anything goes" days and perhaps also a downside to the relaxed visa rules.

Edited by mrdome

for all intents and purposes Cambodia is still an anything goes country. alot more so that Thailand and even more than Laos.

and this is from experience.

AS to 14 years ago Samui was not the way it is,

that's a joke

it has been the way it is since the early 90's only now its more expensive and crowded.

I am just in the state of making decision of where to settle down, so SNK (so different from Samui maybe) is just an option, that is why I asked. Thanks again to those who did answer.