Teacher's Licence Test - Study Materials

Hi All,

I've decided to take the teacher's licence tests in September, and wanted to see if any of you have a guide on study material for the test?

As I e-mailed the Teacher's Council of Thailand, and they simply referred me to a rough description of the topics, which isn't really of much use to me

Do any of you know if there text books, study guides or similar which are available at all?

As I've heard that the test has a very low pass rate for farang, so I feel I should probably do a bit of study so that I can improve my chances of passing.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to offer any advice :)

• Like 2

As I e-mailed the Teacher's Council of Thailand, and they simply referred me to a rough description of the topics, which isn't really of much use to me
On the website of the TCT you can find information about the essence of knowledge. http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/
Do any of you know if there text books, study guides or similar which are available at all?
No guidance provided by the TCT. There's an unofficial booklist. Information in these books will help your for 40% in answering the questions. I'll post the booklist later.

For first time test takers an in 2008 published book might give the scope of the tests. The book is named Review Handbook. I'll post details later.

As I've heard that the test has a very low pass rate for farang, so I feel I should probably do a bit of study so that I can improve my chances of passing.
Also a low pass rate for Thai teachers. Edited by aidenai
  • Like 2

Curriculum Development

Wiles, Jon and Bondi, Joseph (1989), Curriculum Development: A Guide to Practice Third Edition, New York: MacMillan

Instructional Method / Learning Management

Burden, Paul R. and Byrd David M. (1999) Methods for Effective Teaching Boston: Allyn and Bacon

Kameenui, Edward J.; Designing Instructional Strategies. Columbus; Merrill Publishing Co.

Educational Psychology

Lefrancois, Guy R. (1999) Psychology for Teaching Stanford, CT; Wadsworth

Slavin, Robert E. (2003) Educational Psychology Seventh Edition. Boston: Allyn and Bacon

Classroom Management

Owens, Robet G. (19991) Organisational Behaviour in Education Seventh Edition. Boston: Allyn and Bacon

Educational Technology

Heinich, Robert (1993) Instructional Media and the New Technologies of Instruction

Educational Evaluation

Worthen, Blaine R. (1998) Educational Evaluation Sixth Edition

Howell, Kenneth W. (1987) Curriculum-Based Evaluation for Special and Remedial Education Boston: Merrill Publishing

Educational Research

Best, John W. (2003) Research in Education Ninth Edition, Boston: Pearson Education

Teachership

Parkay, Forrest W. (1992) Becoming a Teacher.Boston: Allyn and Bacon.

National Education Act B.E. 2542 (1999)

http://www.ksp.or.th...download/01.pdf

TEACHERS AND EDUCATIONAL PERSONNEL ACT B.E. 2546 (2003)

http://www.ksp.or.th...download/02.pdf

Characteristics of Licensed Profession

http://www.ksp.or.th...tandards(1).pdf

The book is named Review Handbook. I'll post details later.

SIAM KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER CENTER (SKT)

4/516 Sahakorn Village Soi 21, Serithai Rd. (Soi 57), Klong Kum, Bangkok 10240 Thailand

(+66-2-379-7239; +66-2-379-73-44 (FAX); +6686-7090873; +66-81-650-0047)

Awesome cheers.

I also got a further reply back today saying that the following universities were offering courses which might have relevant text books.

1.Graduate Diploma Program in the Profession of Teaching (International Program)of Srinakharinwirot University.

2.Graduate Diploma of Teaching Profession in Teaching Mathematics and Science Education (International Program) New curriculum Academic Year

2551 of Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University.

3.Graduate Diploma Program in Teaching Profession (International

Program) New Curriculum A.D.2009 of Bansomdejchaopraya Rajabhat University.

4.Graduate Diploma Program in Teaching Profession (International

Program) New Curriculum 2008 of St Theresa International College.

5.Graduate Diploma in Teacher Education of Asia-Pacific International University.

You've mentioned that the unofficial booklist should should cover maybe 40% of the content on each test, would I therefore maybe be better to try looking up the booklists / study material lists from the above graduate diplomas? Or is this the same booklist as what the graduate diplomas would likely be given to study from?

Awesome cheers.

I also got a further reply back today saying that the following universities were offering courses which might have relevant text books.

1.Graduate Diploma Program in the Profession of Teaching (International Program)of Srinakharinwirot University.

2.Graduate Diploma of Teaching Profession in Teaching Mathematics and Science Education (International Program) New curriculum Academic Year

5.Graduate Diploma in Teacher Education of Asia-Pacific International University.

You've mentioned that the unofficial booklist should should cover maybe 40% of the content on each test, would I therefore maybe be better to try looking up the booklists / study material lists from the above graduate diplomas? Or is this the same booklist as what the graduate diplomas would likely be given to study from?

Good to hear about the Graduate programs. I was aware of these programs but I was pointing at the part-time programs conducted by UEC and Ramkamhaeng which were very suitable for foreign teachers.

I don't know, SlyAnimal. I was estimating 40 % as the other 60 % were questions that were either translated from Thai to English with the help of Google Translator or were so specific Thai that only a Thai national would know the answers. The booklist I posted was introduced in 2008. An update might be helpful.

Don't let my pessimistic remarks discourage you of taking the tests. What I try to say is that you need at least two or three attempts before you will pass them all. To my knowledge, since the first test in December 2007, there have been only two souls who passed the TCT Professional Knowledge tests in one attempt.

The order of the easiest to the most difficult to pass is Section 1, Section 4, Section 3 and Section 2.

Ok cool, I just signed upto 2 of the 4 tests for this time round (sections 3 and 4), since I figured it'd allow me to focus my study a bit more (Since I'm taking the tests reasonably seriously because of how difficult everyone says they are. Haha also I want to try and ensure I pass each on my first attempt, since I always run down multi choice exams soo much lol).

If you do fail a test, do you get any feedback? e.g. 30/150 or a list of wrong questions/answers? Or is it just a "Fail" with no feedback on where you went right/wrong?

If you do fail a test, do you get any feedback? e.g. 30/150 or a list of wrong questions/answers? Or is it just a "Fail" with no feedback on where you went right/wrong?

Nope. Empirically two to three months after sitting the tests you can see your results in the database on the website of The Teachers' Council of Thailand. It'll show how many marks you got out of 150. No list of wrong answers. No feedback. bah.gif

Best of luck, Sly. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Curriculum Development

Wiles, Jon and Bondi, Joseph (1989), Curriculum Development: A Guide to Practice Third Edition, New York: MacMillan

Instructional Method / Learning Management

Burden, Paul R. and Byrd David M. (1999) Methods for Effective Teaching Boston: Allyn and Bacon

Kameenui, Edward J.; Designing Instructional Strategies. Columbus; Merrill Publishing Co.

Educational Psychology

Lefrancois, Guy R. (1999) Psychology for Teaching Stanford, CT; Wadsworth

Slavin, Robert E. (2003) Educational Psychology Seventh Edition. Boston: Allyn and Bacon

Classroom Management

Owens, Robet G. (19991) Organisational Behaviour in Education Seventh Edition. Boston: Allyn and Bacon

Educational Technology

Heinich, Robert (1993) Instructional Media and the New Technologies of Instruction

Educational Evaluation

Worthen, Blaine R. (1998) Educational Evaluation Sixth Edition

Howell, Kenneth W. (1987) Curriculum-Based Evaluation for Special and Remedial Education Boston: Merrill Publishing

Educational Research

Best, John W. (2003) Research in Education Ninth Edition, Boston: Pearson Education

Teachership

Parkay, Forrest W. (1992) Becoming a Teacher.Boston: Allyn and Bacon.

National Education Act B.E. 2542 (1999)

http://www.ksp.or.th...download/01.pdf

TEACHERS AND EDUCATIONAL PERSONNEL ACT B.E. 2546 (2003)

http://www.ksp.or.th...download/02.pdf

Characteristics of Licensed Profession

http://www.ksp.or.th...tandards(1).pdf

The book is named Review Handbook. I'll post details later.

SIAM KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER CENTER (SKT)

4/516 Sahakorn Village Soi 21, Serithai Rd. (Soi 57), Klong Kum, Bangkok 10240 Thailand

(+66-2-379-7239; +66-2-379-73-44 (FAX); +6686-7090873; +66-81-650-0047)

Anything else ?

Test contents contain the essence of knowledge according to the professional standards for teachers as follows:

1 Language and Technology for Teachers

- English languages for teachers

- Information technology for teachers

2 Curriculum Development

- Philosophy concept and theory of education

- Historical background and system of educational management in Thailand

- Future goals and development plan of Thai Education

- Curriculum theory

- Curriculum development

- Standards and curriculum stage standards

- Institution curriculum development

- Problems and trend in curriculum development

3 Learning Management

- Techniques and learning theory

- Learning models and teaching-learning model development

- Learning experience design and management

- Integration of learning substance groups

- Integration of group learning

- Learning management techniques and technology

- Production and implementation of media and learning innovation development

- Learner-centered management

- Learning evaluation

4 Psychology for Teachers

- Foundation of human development psychology

- Educational psychology

- Guidance and counseling psychology

5 Educational Measurement and Evaluation

- Principles and techniques of educational measurement and evaluation

- Production and implementation of educational measurement and evaluation tools

- Authentic assessment

- Portfolio assessment

- Performance assessment

- Formative and summative evaluation

6 Classroom Management

- Management theory and principles

- Educational leadership

- Systematic thinking

- Organizational culture learning

- Organizational human relations

- Organizational communication

- Classroom management

- Educational quality assurance

- Teamwork

- Academic project performance

- Occupational training project

- Development projects and activities

- Management information systems

- Education for community development

7 Educational Research

- Theory, model, design and process of research

- Statistics for research

- Classroom action research

- Research training

- Research presentation

- Research study in development of learning management process

- Research process in problem-solving

- Research proposal

8 Educational Innovation and Information Technology

- Educational concepts, theory, technology and innovation to promote learning quality development

- Technology and Information

- Problem analysis of using technology and information innovation

- Learning sources and network

- Designing, creation, implementation, evaluation and improvement of Innovation

9 Teacher Professionalism

- Importance of teaching profession

- Teachers’ role, duty and workload

- Teaching profession development

- Characteristics of good teachers

- Building good attitudes towards teaching profession

- Fulfilling potential and competence in practice of teaching profession

- Being learning persons and academic leaders

- Professional teaching standards

- Professional code of ethics

- Education laws

http://www.ksp.or.th...wledge Test.pdf

• 1 year later...

Can anyone who has taken one or more of these tests update this, please.

Were these materials useful or appropriate?

Where can these books be obtained? i.e. Are there any libraries in Bangkok which have them?

Can anyone offer any further advice as to what will be included in the tests?

Edited by TehBen

The .pdf files were good for test 4. Well I say good, some of the questions were soo subjective that even having read the relevant paragraphs on teachership etc I could only eliminate some of the options, rather than knowing which was the correct answer. Likewise some of the material which I read from the Education act etc was in the test.

I passed test 4, so can't complain.

The rest of the material, the books etc, I didn't manage to get copies of, as I don't live in BKK and felt the time/effort/cost of obtaining and studying from them likely wouldn't be worth it.

If I had the books easily available, I think it'd definitely be worthwhile to study for them.

imo Test 2 is the most difficult. So if you can only afford the time/cost/hassle of finding/buying the books they mentioned above, get the ones which focus on the subjects in these areas. Test 1 is super easy, no point in getting books for it, and the pdf files cover enough that you should be able to pass test 4.

I think the thing to remember with these tests, is that they are multichoice. So randomly guessing you'd likely get around 20%, making educated guesses you'll probably get around 40-60%, give or take, depending on the subject and your existing knowledge. So if you do study, and even if you only increased your mark by 10%, and made educated guesses for the others, you'd likely end up passing. I was pretty close to passing test 3 (1 mark off), without doing any study, but if I had of studied, even a little, I'd have probably passed it easily.

• Like 1

Is it possible that their server is down? Can't download one of these PDF files

I was just talking to a lecturer from the local Rajabhat. It would take two to three years ( on weekends) and about 100, 000 baht to have a degree in education.

Not sure yet, if I'd qualify for a Masters..-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

I was just talking to a lecturer from the local Rajabhat. It would take two to three years ( on weekends) and about 100, 000 baht to have a degree in education.

The TCT moved to another URL. Below's the link.

http://site.ksp.or.th/home.php?site=englishsite

You don't need a degree in education per se. If you have a degree in any other fields you could study for a graduate diploma in education/ teaching profession. Those courses take about 1 year (part-time/ online) and costs 100,000 to 140,000 Baht.

• Like 1

The TCT moved to another URL. Below's the link.

http://site.ksp.or.th/home.php?site=englishsite

You don't need a degree in education per se. If you have a degree in any other fields you could study for a graduate diploma in education/ teaching profession. Those courses take about 1 year (part-time/ online) and costs 100,000 to 140,000 Baht.

Thanks a lot. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm qualified to enroll for a Masters, as I've got a degree in Social pedagogic. If that works, I'll go for it.

Will let you know soon.- wai2.gif

Does anyone know when the next round of tests are scheduled for? Thanks in advance.

The latest information in that the next round of tests will be announced in January.

If that is the case then the tests will likely be in late April or May.

• Like 1

Does anyone know when the next round of tests are scheduled for? Thanks in advance.

Below's the email I got from Khurusapha in August 2013.

Dear sir,

For this year, Secretariat office of Kurusapha recruit exam only once. We maybe you can apply the 12th Professional Knowledge Test about January , 2014 . Please give me your name and mobile phone number for announcement knowledge test next time. We shall contact you back.

Awesome cheers.

I am just looking at what I did over at Institute of International Studies (Ramkhamhaeng University) 2008-2009:

Curriculum Development

Instructional Media and Technology

Psychological Foundations of Education

Knowledge and Morality

Teaching Techniques

Moral and Ethics in Teaching Profession

Educational Evaluation and Research

Field Experience in Teaching Profession

Seminar in Teaching Profession

comparing the above with your list it looks to be you have all covered all your bases. The main question is that the books of one year probably are not the same for another year and the emphasis will thus change. In my opinion contact any of the Institutions whose courses have been 100% approved by the M.O.E and ask them to email you their booklists Good luck with your studies..