Sak Yant

leolibby

If a Sak Yant tattoo is one of the tattoos done by the monks in the temple with a peice of sharpened bamboo, not a conventional tattoo needle/gun, I've been informed that they do not use a new peice of bamboo for every new recipient of a tattoo. I was told this, I did not observe this personally.

There are obvious disease issues associated with that practice, so, maybe demand a new peice of bamboo.

It sounds like anti-Thai propoganda to me. I heard on "the doctors" that even tattoos done in the US carry some risk. Lots of racist know-it-alls who have never been outside the US are quick to tell you how dangerous these 3rd world countries are.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

religious rules?

May I ask what those rules are? I believe only the Buddhist monks must abide by religous rules... lay buddhists don't have rules

I hope you fully understand what you are doing, and just not getting the Sak Yant because it’s the “in thing” to do. Not just any monk or individual has the "magical" powers needed to provide a genuine Sak Yant, but I’m sure if go to any tattoo parlor they will gladly make you one right there on the spot, for the right amount of cash of course. I recommend you don’t do this.

For those that don’t know Sak Yant; Sak - means "to tap" or "to tattoo", and Yant, means "Yantra". For hundreds of years Thai and Khmer warriors were renowned and feared for the magical markings tattooed on their skin. IMO, this is probably one of the main reasons it's so big in the Muay Thai scene.

I also have been personally intrigued by these types of tattoos since my arrival in Thailand many years ago, and I have done much research on it as well, eventually I came to the conclusion that I just wasn’t ready to commit to the rules that come along with having one, and also because I am not Buddhist.

Yes there are rules of abstention to follow, below are the foundational rules that all ‘real’ master will tell you to abide by. I would have probably done it if it wasn’t for rules 3, 5, and 10.

1. Do not eat Star fruit, Pumpkin, or any other ‘Gourd’ type vegetable.

2. Do not be anyone’s lover who is already married

3. It is FORBIDDEN in extreme, to slander anybody’s mother. (That’s basically everyone)

4. Do not eat food from a wedding, or funeral banquet.

5. Do not eat leftovers.

6. Do not duck under a washing Line, or an overhanging building.

7. Do not duck under a banana Tree of the type Thaanii (classed as important to avoid).

8. Do not cross a single head bridge; Large or Small bridges are not Forbidden

9. Do not sit on a ceramic urn (Common in Thailand).especially a cracked, or broken one.

10. Do not let a woman lie on top of you, or sit on top either.

11. Do not permit a man to be brushed by the blouse or skirt of a woman, or crossed in front of; especially during the her menstrual period.

Also take into consideration how a ‘real’ Sak Yant is done traditionally. .

The “Mai Sak” or “Khem Sak”(sticks/needles) are not sterilized using any type of modern sterilizing equipment. The sticks/needles are used repeatedly with only a simple placing of the sticks in a bottle of alcohol to remain there until the next use. Most masters have a collection of five to twenty Mai Sak/‘Khem Sak arranged in rows, their tips are soaking in alcohol glass bottles. Sometimes a single tattoo stick may have only half an hour to one hour between tattooing sessions to kill any bacteria that may still be there from the previous “devotee”. The tips are not cleaned thoroughly; they receive at the most a quick flush in a bucket of water. Some masters don’t even have the bottle of alcohol; they just place the needle back on its stand to await the next use. Therefore transmission of AIDS is a possibility. Hepatitis B and C are also a real danger, due to the fact that 0.04 of a thousandth of a liter of hepatitis infected blood is enough to transmit the disease. Hepatitis in such an amount of dried blood can survive on a dry surface for up to three months, in a wet environment (such as a Sak Yant needle), it can thrive.

So I guess if you’re really ready to do this, I recommend going to Wat Bang Phra Temple in Nakorn Chaisri, this is the mecca of Sak Yant Tattooing where thousands of devotees go for tattoos daily. It is the largest temple where Sak Yant tattooing is practiced in the world. I don't think there are any masters here in Phuket, but I could be wrong.

BTW, do you already know the type of Yantra you want? If not I suggest waiting and learn about this practice a bit more, last thing we need is another Farang running around sporting a tattoo he knows absolutely nothing about.

Kata Hua Jai!

Edited by FlyByNights

If a Sak Yant tattoo is one of the tattoos done by the monks in the temple with a peice of sharpened bamboo, not a conventional tattoo needle/gun, I've been informed that they do not use a new peice of bamboo for every new recipient of a tattoo. I was told this, I did not observe this personally.

There are obvious disease issues associated with that practice, so, maybe demand a new peice of bamboo.

It sounds like anti-Thai propoganda to me. I heard on "the doctors" that even tattoos done in the US carry some risk. Lots of racist know-it-alls who have never been outside the US are quick to tell you how dangerous these 3rd world countries are.

You get a friendly bit of advice over an internet forum and now think that the person who posted it is a racist.

Do you think the monk opens a sterile plastic package in front of you to get a new, and clean, peice of bamboo to do your tattoo????

The life threatening diseases of Hepatitis and HIV are the major concern, BUT, what about a simple bacterial infection???? The bamboo is not "produced" in a sterile environment. Eg. a medical supplies production factory. You are basically injecting whatever is on the tip of the bamboo into your body.

With an attitude like yours, I don't think you will last long in Thailand.

religious rules?

May I ask what those rules are? I believe only the Buddhist monks must abide by religous rules... lay buddhists don't have rules

I hope you fully understand what you are doing, and just not getting the Sak Yant because it’s the “in thing” to do. Not just any monk or individual has the "magical" powers needed to provide a genuine Sak Yant, but I’m sure if go to any tattoo parlor they will gladly make you one right there on the spot, for the right amount of cash of course. I recommend you don’t do this.

For those that don’t know Sak Yant; Sak - means "to tap" or "to tattoo", and Yant, means "Yantra". For hundreds of years Thai and Khmer warriors were renowned and feared for the magical markings tattooed on their skin. IMO, this is probably one of the main reasons it's so big in the Muay Thai scene.

I also have been personally intrigued by these types of tattoos since my arrival in Thailand many years ago, and I have done much research on it as well, eventually I came to the conclusion that I just wasn’t ready to commit to the rules that come along with having one, and also because I am not Buddhist.

Yes there are rules of abstention to follow, below are the foundational rules that all ‘real’ master will tell you to abide by. I would have probably done it if it wasn’t for rules 3, 5, and 10.

3. It is FORBIDDEN in extreme, to slander anybody’s mother. (That’s basically everyone)

5. Do not eat leftovers.

7. Do not duck under a banana Tree of the type Thaanii (classed as important to avoid).

9. Do not sit on a ceramic urn (Common in Thailand).especially a cracked, or broken one.

11. Do not permit a man to be brushed by the blouse or skirt of a woman, or crossed in front of; especially during the her menstrual period.

The “Mai Sak” or “Khem Sak”(sticks/needles) are not sterilized using any type of modern sterilizing equipment. The sticks/needles are used repeatedly with only a simple placing of the sticks in a bottle of alcohol to remain there until the next use. Most masters have a collection of five to twenty Mai Sak/‘Khem Sak arranged in rows, their tips are soaking in alcohol glass bottles. Sometimes a single tattoo stick may have only half an hour to one hour between tattooing sessions to kill any bacteria that may still be there from the previous “devotee”. The tips are not cleaned thoroughly; they receive at the most a quick flush in a bucket of water. Some masters don’t even have the bottle of alcohol; they just place the needle back on its stand to await the next use. Therefore transmission of AIDS is a possibility. Hepatitis B and C are also a real danger, due to the fact that 0.04 of a thousandth of a liter of hepatitis infected blood is enough to transmit the disease. Hepatitis in such an amount of dried blood can survive on a dry surface for up to three months, in a wet environment (such as a Sak Yant needle), it can thrive.

So I guess if you’re really ready to do this, I recommend going to Wat Bang Phra Temple in Nakorn Chaisri, this is the mecca of Sak Yant Tattooing where thousands of devotees go for tattoos daily. It is the largest temple where Sak Yant tattooing is practiced in the world. I don't think there are any masters here in Phuket, but I could be wrong.

BTW, do you already know the type of Yantra you want? If not I suggest waiting and learn about this practice a bit more, last thing we need is another Farang running around sporting a tattoo he knows absolutely nothing about.

Kata Hua Jai!

And without a shirt or tee shirt on, very common!!

Sukko Spa on Chaofa Rd do ink and oil (invisible) Sak Yant or Yantra tattooing.

On their website look at Activities > Sak Yank > Photo Gallery

SakYant designs are normally tattooed by wicha(magic) practitioners and Buddhist monks. Are you trying to tell us the spa has a master/ajarn on their payroll?

His name if you have it please?

IMHO looks like a very commercial 'expensive' tourist trap, but I'm sure 100% cleaner Mai Saks.

Just don't get a Monk with a sense of humor.laugh.png

Good point. I'll request something that will imbue health or psychological strength, though. They also do these using non-visable ink... ust for those of you who are interested.

You should definitely go for the psychological strength. I think you really need some!

Thank-you for the informitive answer! Actually, I won't get it. I can't abide by rule # 10 also--and I am not a Buddhist. Just so you know, It's not an in-thing where I live. By way, somoneone accused me of calling a poster in this thread racist. I was calling whoever started that rumor racist-- not him.

Edited by leolibby

religious rules?

5. Do not eat leftovers.

Kata Hua Jai!

which one is the tattoo that helps me win lotto? is that the sansakrit one that is sported on Farangs and Thais alike? it kinda looks like a scratch mark on the shoulder

SNAMOS

It could be the Gao Yord Yant otherwise, known as the 9 Spires Yant. This is the most common Yant I have seen most of the Farangs sporting. It’s a sacred tattoo with magical powers which will protect and bring good luck to the bearer. The Gao Yord Yant is usually tattooed on the lower part of the neck but may also be placed elsewhere. The 9 Spires Yant is a geometric design and represents the 9 Sacred Peaks of Mt. Meru and also contains 9 symbolic images of the Lord Buddha. This Yant demonstrates just how important the number 9 is in Buddhism. The Buddhas are the 3 ovals, in diminishing sizes, placed one above each other.

gao-yord-mon1.JPG

• Like 1

Thank-you for the informitive answer! Actually, I won't get it. I can't abide by rule # 10 also--and I am not a Buddhist. Just so you know, It's not an in-thing where I live. By way, somoneone accused me of calling a poster in this thread racist. I was calling whoever started that rumor racist-- not him.

There's a difference between a "rumor" and a "fact."

The fact is, they use unsterile bamboo "spikes" to do this type of tattoo. Those bamboo spikes are used/shared on different people for the tattoo - that's not a rumor, that's a fact.

It has nothing to do with being racist, or anti-Thai. This practice carries a high risk of disease transmission - fact, not rumor.

Let me put it to you in laymen terms, it's the same reason why drug addicts should not/do not share needles to inject drugs. You would be doing the same with the bamboo.

The cleaning of the bamboo by the monks is not good enough to kill anything/everything from the last recipient of a tattoo, using that peice of bamboo. Understand now???? These are not rumors, they are medical facts.

Google is your friend.

Edited by NamKangMan

The cleaning of the bamboo by the monks is not good enough to kill anything/everything from the last recipient of a tattoo, using that peice of bamboo. Understand now???? These are not rumors, they are medical facts.

Google is your friend.

I was never calling you a racist, nor do I claim that anything you said isn't true. In fact, I'm fully aware of all you say. I posted a video of someone gettting a Sak Yant; so why do you think I'm unaware of how they do it?.

Edited by leolibby

You should definitely go for the psychological strength. I think you really need some!

Is that because you don't like me? I don't like you either.

Well that's ruined my day! I'm disliked by someone I don't know. crying.gif

I sincerely believe you should get some counselling, judging from your comments and replies on this thread.

I don't dislike you, I care for you as a fellow human being who's making himself look like a fool on a public forum. Peace on you bro biggrin.png

Well that's ruined my day! I'm disliked by someone I don't know. crying.gif

I sincerely believe you should get some counselling, judging from your comments and replies on this thread.

I don't dislike you, I care for you as a fellow human being who's making himself look like a fool on a public forum. Peace on you bro biggrin.png

Point out which comment led you to this conclusion. It seems I'm doing fine in the Buddhist forum. anyway, i will not return here.

• Like 1

I guess coming to the Phuket forum to ask a simple question isn't recommended then!!

I know you old cogers can barely remember but I'm fairly sure you were young once!

If you are 50/60 and you are talking to a 20 something as if he was an equal when it comes to experience, then you are a moron. Not to mention a pathetic cyber bully.

• Like 2

I guess coming to the Phuket forum to ask a simple question isn't recommended then!!

I know you old cogers can barely remember but I'm fairly sure you were young once!

If you are 50/60 and you are talking to a 20 something as if he was an equal when it comes to experience, then you are a moron. Not to mention a pathetic cyber bully.

Cyber bully?

Grow a sack. It's words like these that come from the nanny states.

Is someone is annoying you on the computer and you feel threatened, turn the computer off <deleted>.

I suppose so :) I asked where in Phuket can I get one-- one person said where. A lot of people assumed I know nothing about what a sak yant is, and proceeded to judge my descision/character.

Cyber bully?

Is someone is annoying you on the computer and you feel threatened, turn the computer off <deleted>.

Fair enough, 'Cyber bully' isn't an appropriate phrase to use but I don't think the phrase 'Cyber unnecessarily rude and obnoxious' exists. wink.png

Your comment about turning the computer off if you don't like it, is a textbook keyboard warrior response. Just because nobody can stop people being rude and obnoxious on the internet doesn't for one second make it right or make it that everybody else should have to avoid the internet to avoid them.

The bloke asked a simple question. If he had done so face to face then nobody would have ripped the piss out of him, mocked or ridiculed him, but because it's on the internet everybody thinks it's OK to do so. Like I said before, most people who replied are probably 2 or 2 and a half times older than the OP so why on earth would they expect his ideas be the same as theirs. They wouldn't respond so aggressively if it was a grandson or nephew they were talking to so why do it to a stranger on the internet.

The people who gave the OP a hard time are far more insecure and inadequate for replying that way than the OP is for wanting a Sak Yant tattoo IMO.

Cyber bully?

Fair enough, 'Cyber bully' isn't an appropriate phrase to use but I don't think the phrase 'Cyber unnecessarily rude and obnoxious' exists. wink.png

Your comment about turning the computer off if you don't like it, is a textbook keyboard warrior response. Just because nobody can stop people being rude and obnoxious on the internet doesn't for one second make it right or make it that everybody else should have to avoid the internet to avoid them.

The bloke asked a simple question. If he had done so face to face then nobody would have ripped the piss out of him, mocked or ridiculed him, but because it's on the internet everybody thinks it's OK to do so. Like I said before, most people who replied are probably 2 or 2 and a half times older than the OP so why on earth would they expect his ideas be the same as theirs. They wouldn't respond so aggressively if it was a grandson or nephew they were talking to so why do it to a stranger on the internet.

The people who gave the OP a hard time are far more insecure and inadequate for replying that way than the OP is for wanting a Sak Yant tattoo IMO.

Cyber bullying and now I'm a keyboard warrior??

Can someone please explain what a keyboard warrior does? Is it someone who campaigns online for human rights or saving whales from Japanese whaling vessels?? I'm very confused by this term.

Sometimes people need a dose of the truth or be subject to others opinions/criticism if they are going to post in a public forum. Just because you don't agree with my view, doesnt now make me keyboard activist or whatever.

There is a function called the ignore list. Use it if you haven't got thick enough skin for debate.

. Keyboard Warrior

1. A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.

from Urban Dictionary

Can someone please explain what a keyboard warrior does? Is it someone who campaigns online for human rights or saving whales from Japanese whaling vessels?? I'm very confused by this term.

Sometimes people need a dose of the truth or be subject to others opinions/criticism if they are going to post in a public forum. Just because you don't agree with my view, doesnt now make me keyboard activist or whatever.

There is a function called the ignore list. Use it if you haven't got thick enough skin for debate.

IMO a keyboard warrior is quite simply someone who behaves in a way they wouldn't in the real world and then puts it down to it " Just being the internet". They then tell other people they need to get 'thicker skin' and to 'grow a sack' (because obviously they're not as tough and macho as they are)

If you aren't capable of giving "A dose of the truth" and sharing your opinions and criticisms without being rude, obnoxious and condescending then either you have very poor communication skills, are rather immature socially or are choosing to behave in a way you wouldn't if you were face to face with the people you were talking to, (A keyboard warrior). I personally can't think of any other logical explanation for ripping the piss out of someone that came on a forum to ask a simple question.

Anyway, why are you making this about you? I can't even remember what you said, I was talking about the responses in general. I never accused you of being anything until I accused you of making typical Keyboard warrior remarks when you told me to "grow a sack" and "avoid the internet if I was feeling threatened".

When was the last time you told a stranger to "grow a sack" to his face?

• Like 1

Ok. Doesn't apply to me because I share the same views in real life as I do online.

Does that make me a reality warrior as well??

Too bad having an opinion can be turned around as being aggressive. Ridiculous term.

Back on topic.

Attention seeking sak yant tattoos are a fad that the social misfits and misguided embrace because they are looking for somewhere to fit in. They don't care for the traditions, its just cool in the eyes of a few.

IMO a keyboard warrior is quite simply someone who behaves in a way they wouldn't in the real world and then puts it down to it " Just being the internet". They then tell other people they need to get 'thicker skin' and to 'grow a sack' (because obviously they're not as tough and macho as they are)

If you aren't capable of giving "A dose of the truth" and sharing your opinions and criticisms without being rude, obnoxious and condescending then either you have very poor communication skills, are rather immature socially or are choosing to behave in a way you wouldn't if you were face to face with the people you were talking to, (A keyboard warrior). I personally can't think of any other logical explanation for ripping the piss out of someone that came on a forum to ask a simple question.

Anyway, why are you making this about you? I can't even remember what you said, I was talking about the responses in general. I never accused you of being anything until I accused you of making typical Keyboard warrior remarks when you told me to "grow a sack" and "avoid the internet if I was feeling threatened".

When was the last time you told a stranger to "grow a sack" to his face?

Edited by kawapower