Sak Yant

leolibby

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask at any temple.

Are these tattoos the new fashion statement?

Sort-of. They are popular because some actress got one. I'm normally opposed to being tattooed myself, though (I believe it feeds the ego). But no one will see my sak yant. unless I take off my shirt... but I'm make a point not to look at it too much, if at all

Edited by leolibby

Ask at any temple.

Sort-of. They are popular because some actress got one. I'm normally opposed to being tattooed myself, though (I believe it feeds the ego). But no one will see my sak yant. unless I take off my shirt... but I'm make a point not to look at it too much, if at all

You understand that to thais they are not a fashion statement and come with all sorts of religious rules?

Edited by necronx99
  • Like 1

Ask at any temple.

i know one monk in phuket who does this. however, he won't tattoo a foreigner. if you are opposed to being tattooed, why do you want a sak yant? and i'm going out on a limb here, but i think you better do a bit more research. you referred to it as a "magical tattoo" and it's actually, in theory, not. don't believe everything the bar girls tell you, sir biggrin.png

Ask at any temple.

You understand that to thais they are not a fashion statement and come with all sorts of religious rules?

My GF has a small one just below her neck. It was done by the monks and acknowledged her good work done in the local temple in Loie.

So your saying the ying yang/barbed wire/mauri trible/Chinese symbols/roman numerals are out???? Boo hoo wink.png. I'm gonna get a love/hate on my knuckles I bet no ones done that before???? wink.png

Yup. I think those went out in 1997.. but I'm not sure. But tribal tattoos

are still okay for girls

http://farm4.static...._8a4861ec31.jpg

I'd prefer an cartoon on that location.. or some words of wisdom like 'keep on pushing', 'stay strong' or perhaps 'local pharmacy: 076-5544334'.

So your saying the ying yang/barbed wire/mauri trible/Chinese symbols/roman numerals are out???? Boo hoo wink.png. I'm gonna get a love/hate on my knuckles I bet no ones done that before???? wink.png

Yup. I think those went out in 1997.. but I'm not sure. But tribal tattoos

are still okay for girls

http://farm4.static...._8a4861ec31.jpg

I'd prefer an cartoon on that location.. or some words of wisdom like 'keep on pushing', 'stay strong' or perhaps 'local pharmacy: 076-5544334'.

How about "you're the first"? or "time limit: 30 seconds"?

Edited by leolibby

There was an announcement from the government a couple of years ago requesting all tattooists to not tattoo foreigners with religious tattoos as they felt it was disrespectful to Thai culture as foreigners didn't understand the meaning and had them done as a fashion statement.

I'm sure if you do a search on this in TV there will be a thread about it.

• Like 1

There was an announcement from the government a couple of years ago requesting all tattooists to not tattoo foreigners with religious tattoos as they felt it was disrespectful to Thai culture as foreigners didn't understand the meaning and had them done as a fashion statement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/471743-crackdown-ordered-on-religious-tattoos-in-phuket/page__hl__%20religious%20%20tattoos

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/471743-crackdown-ordered-on-religious-tattoos-in-phuket/page__hl__%20religious%20%20tattoos

I see no point in having religious tattoos unless you are of that faith, but many people have no respect here, the <deleted> that walk about and drive bikes with no tops on are just some who show no respect!!

when you are not of that faith?

I asked if anyone knows of a temple where it could be done. I'm not seeking approval.

I very much doubt anyone with any sense would approve it!! It's a fashion and one that might make you look hard!!

One unnecessary post removed.

Read rules

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

when you are not of that faith?

I asked if anyone knows of a temple where it could be done. I'm not seeking approval.

The monk will choose the meaning.

Just don't get a Monk with a sense of humor.laugh.png

Good point. I'll request something that will imbue health or psychological strength, though. They also do these using non-visable ink... ust for those of you who are interested.

Good point. I'll request something that will imbue health or psychological strength, though. They also do these using non-visable ink... ust for those of you who are interested.

Invisible ink - that's a great idea a bit like homeopathy tattoos? When I grow up, I'll become homeopathy tattoo artist. Way safer for my nose considering my lack of artist skills and poor speling. After a few years of practice, I can start doing telekinetic tattoos over the phone line. Money will be pouring in.

More seriously tough. If someone wishes to get an religious tattoo that should be ok. If it gives more strength or confidence to a person, fine by me. We have so many believes and rules which follow, based on religion or general society in our everyday life which we fail to even recognize. Everyone of us.

If a Sak Yant tattoo is one of the tattoos done by the monks in the temple with a peice of sharpened bamboo, not a conventional tattoo needle/gun, I've been informed that they do not use a new peice of bamboo for every new recipient of a tattoo. I was told this, I did not observe this personally.

There are obvious disease issues associated with that practice, so, maybe demand a new peice of bamboo.