Mozilla Firefox 14.0.1 Final Now Released.

BB1950

From Softpedia.com:

Mozilla skipped the launch of Firefox 14 and delivered instead version 14.0.1 of the browser, which is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

This move was not on the spur of the moment, but planned ahead and the reasoning behind it is to sync up with Firefox for Android 14.0.1 version, which is scheduled for release today.

Among the new features in Firefox 14.0.1 for desktop is URL autocomplete and encrypted Google searches by default from anywhere in the browser (address/search bar and context menu).

Furthermore, there is native full-screen for Mac OS X 10.7, and click-to-play plugins; for security reasons, favicons are no longer displayed in the address bar.

On the downside, Firefox will continue to be affected by some Flash-related issues and work to eliminate them is still in progress.

Users should start receiving the update later on.

Download Firefox for Windows

Download Firefox for Mac

Download Firefox for Linux

Download Firefox for Android

From Mozilla:

Please note that while the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 can be used to run Firefox 14, only 32-bit builds of Firefox 14 are supported at this time.

I've installed it and it did fix several problems I noted in version 13.0 notably some flash-related issues (but not all), memory leakage, and slow start-up.

I didn't have any problems with extension compatibility.when upgrading.

Edited by BB1950

The auto update just happened on mine and so far so good. Recommended to do a backup of FF via MozBackup application or FEBE addon just to be on the safe side before these updates. I've not seen a data loss from it but with all the bookmarks, addons, etc. would not like to lose them.

I recently went from FIrefox 3x to v. 13 after getting tired of the constant automatic nag screens to upgrade..

Problems with the new version 13:

1. Doesn't manage memory so well. In 3x I had the Bartab extension installed. V. 13 has this functionality installed already but in practice it doesn't work as well as Bartab did.

2. Favicons are missing and just appear as grey square boxes.

3. V 13 is meant to show your most recently visited sites in speedial format when you open a new tab, however in practice I couldn't get this to work.

4. the small '+ tab' symbol on the top right hand of every tab used to open a new tab is missing in V. 13.

Used

The auto update just happened on mine and so far so good. Recommended to do a backup of FF via MozBackup application or FEBE addon just to be on the safe side before these updates. I've not seen a data loss from it but with all the bookmarks, addons, etc. would not like to lose them.

Thanks for that Tywais as I was not aware of this MozBackup app.

One of the reasons I have been on manual update for so long is way back I lost a lot on a new build so have stuck

with the old.

With MozBackup for both Firefox & ThunderBird I was willing wink.png

So far no problems & 14.0.1 seems fine.

My addons, ABP,DL Helper & DNT all working too.

Thanks

Edited by flying

It was nice when the favicons appeared in your Bookmarks to make finding a particular site visually easier but about 30% of mine appear as grey square boxes despite the website having a favicon.

It was nice when the favicons appeared in your Bookmarks to make finding a particular site visually easier but about 30% of mine appear as grey square boxes despite the website having a favicon.

Just checked my bookmarked list and the vast majority still have favicons, a few entries have 'blank' favicons ie just a dotted outline, (sites without favicons) didnt see any blank ones with colours different to background. Did however find a couple of entries with blanks which were mozilla pages, thought they should have favicons so called them up and when bookmarked list checked again the favicon had been added.

Install Bookmark Favicon Changer

It has options for you to you to "Change Favicon", "Reset Favicon", "Remove Favicon" and "Export Favicon". It does work on Firefox 14.0.1. You can also change the bookmark folder icons to a FavIcon. Very useful if you have a lot of bookmark folders on you bookmark toolbar by displaying icons only.

Over the years Favicons were lost on several of my bookmarks. If the site has a Favicon you can reset the bookmark to use it. If the site doesn't have a favicon. You can change the bookmark to use an icon file.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

Yes thanks BB ....but now that I have it ....It does not seem to reset favicons?

Is there another step you need to do with it?

I of course can save a logo etc & then change to that as a favicon.

But I thought by clicking reset it would fetch one from the site on its own.....no?

Thanks for any tips

Edit: Ah I see this Ident-favicon app now & will try adding that

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/identfavicon/

Edited by flying

It does not seem to reset favicons?

Most of the time, I just reset the favicon. But sometimes I can't get a favicon from the site, So I just get a logo and create my own icon or I export an icon form a bookmark that does have the icon. An example was BBC News had an icon but BBC World didn't.

I didn't like IdentFavIcon because their icons weren't indicative of the sites. But it's a way to visually distinguish bookmarks.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

youtube bugs and freezes on the new release

As mentioned earlier, there are flash player issues with FireFox and Adobe Flash Player. Adobe and Mozilla are working together to resolve them.

I haven't had a problem with YouTube, but with other sites, particularly with CNN.

Check and see if you have the current version of flash player here.

Flash Player v11.3.300.257 is particularly problematic.

You might checkout this link.

Mozilla suggests to use Flash Player 11.2, however I couldn't get it to install because the installer refused to install it because there's a new version of flash player.

Edited by BB1950

It does not seem to reset favicons?

Most of the time, I just reset the favicon. But sometimes I can't get a favicon from the site, So I just get a logo and create my own icon or I export an icon form a bookmark that does have the icon. An example was BBC News had an icon but BBC World didn't.

I didn't like IdentFavIcon because their icons weren't indicative of the sites. But it's a way to visually distinguish bookmarks.

Yes I agree & have latched on to that method too.

Ident does pull a good one sometimes but for the rest I do as you said & grab a logo

Thanks again

youtube bugs and freezes on the new release

As mentioned earlier, there are flash player issues with FireFox and Adobe Flash Player. Adobe and Mozilla are working together to resolve them.

I haven't had a problem with YouTube, but with other sites, particularly with CNN.

Mozilla suggests to use Flash Player 11.2, however I couldn't get it to install because the installer refused to install it because there's a new version of flash player.

Well I managed to downgrade to Flash Player 11.2 and it didn't solve the problems I have. By the way, the same problems existed with Firefox 13.0 releases. I've gone back to the current release of Flash Player.

I'll just have to wait until Adobe and Mozilla work out the problems. whistling.gif

Edited by BB1950

I'm staying with Chrome. I have FF 14.0.1 installed and every time I start it it checks add on compatibility and then goes to the Welcome to Firefox screen. It opens my homepage in another window. I cleared the cache and then even deleted all my cookies. The check compatibility reports that PC Sync 2 is not compatible. It then shows disabled but gives me no way to delete it. It's not worth the effort.

jeez I feel so dated on 3.6.28 wink.png

So what all is new/improved?

Thanks

not much I guess...I feel firefox is getting worse only. More and more I use Chrome.

I have been on FF for so long & it has always been fine.

Now that I am on the new release I do remember at one time upgrading to 10.xx & then going back.

The reason was it had a few lockups per day.

The one where your cursor goes to a blue revolving circle & the browser is frozen for about 30 seconds.

Now on this 14.1 & I see it too has that problem. Hmmm might go back to my old release.

In regards to Google chrome....I have not used it but before we moved our daughter had it.

At our home we would have 3 laptops/tablets going on the wifi at once....daughter,wife & myself

Daughter on chrome, wife on Ipad, myself on FF

Whenever my daughter would log on the network would go to crap speed wise for my wife & I.....

We finally realized it was always when daughter opened Chrome.

So we experimented by having her open IE instead etc & the network never slowed down.

Any of you folks on chrome share your network with family members ever see this?

jeez I feel so dated on 3.6.28 wink.png

So what all is new/improved?

Thanks

Hey , I'm still on 3.5.17 !

From 3.6 , I had bugs , and I don't like the tabs placement in the newer versions.

Sure it crashes sometimes , but it always has to do something with flash on some sites.

I read that this hasn't changed much , even in v14 with new flash plug inn.

Hey , I'm still on 3.5.17 !

From 3.6 , I had bugs , and I don't like the tabs placement in the newer versions.

Sure it crashes sometimes , but it always has to do something with flash on some sites.

I read that this hasn't changed much , even in v14 with new flash plug inn.

Yeah if the freezing keeps up I will probably revert

On that tabs deal I also got use to tabs on bottom

But in view -> Toolbars you can un-check tabs on top & have them on the bottom

I uninstalled Firefox and all the settings. I kind of missed using it so I downloaded it and tried again. It is now working fine and it doesn't open the start page or check all the add ons each time I use it.

It imported all my bookmarks and home page from Chrome without a problem.