Ais3G And Andriod Officially Suck

I forgot to mention the True Wifi service is very good. Almost everywhere in Thailand are those WiFi hotspots. When you subscribe with True Move they will collect your WiFi Address and you can connect automatically without enter a password.

You mean network card mac-address? Isn't that pretty easy get with an sniffer?

I mean this one:

9320740561079238847201259.png

They will collect this number from your device and after you can log into their WiFi network anywhere in Thailand for free.

Yes and that is the one that oilinki mentioned is easily sniffed and then spoofed.

I forgot to mention the True Wifi service is very good. Almost everywhere in Thailand are those WiFi hotspots. When you subscribe with True Move they will collect your WiFi Address and you can connect automatically without enter a password.

I mean this one:

They will collect this number from your device and after you can log into their WiFi network anywhere in Thailand for free.

"This number" is your MAC address. It's required by the local network to specifically identify and communicate with your device.

I mean this one:

"This number" is your MAC address. It's required by the local network to specifically identify and communicate with your device.

I like the MAC address auto connect........ if in Paragon or other places, it auto connects, and can use Wifi which usually has more bandwidth

and what is that mean?

it means that your MAC address is registered with TRUE if you are TRUE customer and can connect to their hot spots automatically based on your registered MAC address

and what is that mean?

it means that your MAC address is registered with TRUE if you are TRUE customer and can connect to their hot spots automatically based on your registered MAC address

I know that.

I mean what is that about spoof or what?

and what is that mean?

I know that.

I mean what is that about spoof or what?

not sure if that is something we can discuss here.. the basics is that you can change your mac address to any mac you want. If the TRUE wifi is authenticating you from the MAC then you could technically change your MAC to a registered user and have access to the wifi without being a client.

This would be an easy way to gain free access to a TRUE wifi hotspot by just sniffing for MACS and then spoofing all the MAC you collect to see which authenticated.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I haven't use the True Wifi, so I have to do few assumptions. Just correct if I'm wrong.

Assumption: You register to the True Wiifi / service with your own name and possible passport number.

Afterwards your MAC (Hardware address, Wifi-address represents you). Anything that is done with that MAC address is done by you.

Practically the problem is: Anything that is done with that MAC address is done by you.

For an cracker it's not an obstacle to put an laptop or another device next to True Wi-fi station and start listening the network traffic.

He/she will get list of MAC addresses.

Next step is to make a small script which will modify the laptop's MAC address and tries to connect to the internet. If you are unlucky the cracker is using 'your identity' while doing other stuff on the net.

That sounds a bit too easy to get to the system, even if it's very convenient for the end users. There are other ways to do this, almost as easy for the end users, with more security.

Network, computer, system and any other security is not only blocking the service. It's also letting the users to access the service in an easy way. Basically balancing what is enough and not too much. 7 locks on the home door gives a bit more security than only one. The increased security is not worth of the time what it takes to open all the locks. It's better to have enough security, and not too much.. and maybe tell the potential thieves that the next door neighbor have 1 million euros under their sofa.

Lol.... You guys are dangerous :)

For what it's worth, have been using TuneInRadio on my iPhone on AIS for the last week or so, and it's definitely alot worse than true in BKK ( not sure other places ).. I am getting tons of flip flops between 2G and 3G, during which songs cut off, or you get bit by bit as it comes thru Edge. Same w emails / Facebook and other data services.

Guess I will be relegating AIS to my back up ( great 2G coverage ) for up country, and back to True for BKK.

While it is easy to dismiss threads like this as trollish I'd submit that anyone who chooses both an iPhone and TrueMove H is more than familiar with products and services which are inferior and thus able to place their official "Suck" seal of approval on pretty much anything. ;)

On a more serious note, there have been more than a few posts/threads expressing dissatisfaction with AIS/One-2-Call's 3G performance. However it is hard to tell how widespread the issues are based on just a few posts? Finally AIS has recently expanded their 3G footprint while TrueMove H has been relegated to being a "CAT Reseller". :)

I always encourage people to experiment with all the 3G providers before committing to any one provider.

CAT and TOT do have the broadest coverage to date, followed by AIS and DTAC. CAT/TrueMove H have 2 million customers as of the end of Q2, but CAT only has 1 million phone numbers left so hitting that 4 million number may be challenging?

AIS's numbers are what they are because most of their mobile data customers, even if only using 2G, are counted/reported as 3G because they can use 3G where available. Obviously AIS and DTAC have the most customers, and are profitable, while TrueMove remains ever ensconced in third place, consistently losing money each quarter while their ARPU continues its downward trend. True does well in markets where they have little or no competition: cable TV, satellite, fixed-line broadband but clearly in markets where they face competition they seem unable to be successful. They should have been able to leverage more triple-play synergy but the company does seem poorly managed.

My own experience of True is that it is pretty shit, (always disconnecting or timing out) but incomparably better to AIS (which simply doesn't work most of the time.) My experience is limited to Aranyaprathet-Bangkok (AIS) and Bangkok (True.) True is bearable in Bangkok at least.

The service is well behind Cambodia and Vietnam, probably even worse than Laos to be honest. I'm surprised, certainly, given the relative development levels, but I guess there are more people using 3G here.

Is DTAC any better?

While it is easy to dismiss threads like this as trollish I'd submit that anyone who chooses both an iPhone and TrueMove H is more than familiar with products and services which are inferior and thus able to place their official "Suck" seal of approval on pretty much anything. ;)

On a more serious note, there have been more than a few posts/threads expressing dissatisfaction with AIS/One-2-Call's 3G performance. However it is hard to tell how widespread the issues are based on just a few posts? Finally AIS has recently expanded their 3G footprint while TrueMove H has been relegated to being a "CAT Reseller". :)

I always encourage people to experiment with all the 3G providers before committing to any one provider.

CAT and TOT do have the broadest coverage to date, followed by AIS and DTAC. CAT/TrueMove H have 2 million customers as of the end of Q2, but CAT only has 1 million phone numbers left so hitting that 4 million number may be challenging?

AIS's numbers are what they are because most of their mobile data customers, even if only using 2G, are counted/reported as 3G because they can use 3G where available. Obviously AIS and DTAC have the most customers, and are profitable, while TrueMove remains ever ensconced in third place, consistently losing money each quarter while their ARPU continues its downward trend. True does well in markets where they have little or no competition: cable TV, satellite, fixed-line broadband but clearly in markets where they face competition they seem unable to be successful. They should have been able to leverage more triple-play synergy but the company does seem poorly managed.

Ooh... And may I add that on the last 2 NBTC network assessments for 3G , True was rated # 1. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Took a bit if time to figure out how to do collage........ here are some screen shots AIS 3G, it really is bad if your travelling, mostly on 3G. I moved the SIM to the HTC android (back up phone) and even the whole trip home ( about an hour ), it could not update any apps. Ended up updating them via Wifi @ home.

post-25605-0-28512000-1344946962_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I have had numerous problems with True 3G data sim packages on iPhone, iPad and laptop. For one, I think their metering is a fraud. I always exhaust my bandwidth way before my data tracking app says I have. I've also had problems where I can't even activate a top-up code, check balance, or select a service using the standard phone codes. They simply come back as error codes and so I have to call True and do all of this over the phone with a live operator True 3G network coverage is excellent though.

with true-h, a lot can also be done with free sms with specific body text to 9789.

For example text 'b' without the quotes will return the balance. text 'w' will return the true wifi password. You can also sign up for and cancel plans via sms.

Edited by 4evermaat

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and with AIS and live in Aree about 500 m from Skytrain so it's not like I'm out in the boondocks. I have had nothing but crap internet service using AIS. In the end they advised me to configure the phone for EDGE. On 3G it wanders about 3G H+ H then loses connection. Edge is more stable but slow as. I'm not a techie so any advice greatly appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Lol.... You guys are dangerous smile.png

For what it's worth, have been using TuneInRadio on my iPhone on AIS for the last week or so, and it's definitely alot worse than true in BKK ( not sure other places ).. I am getting tons of flip flops between 2G and 3G, during which songs cut off, or you get bit by bit as it comes thru Edge. Same w emails / Facebook and other data services.

Guess I will be relegating AIS to my back up ( great 2G coverage ) for up country, and back to True for BKK.

Have a look at Xiialive for Radio, and in TuneIn I believe you can increase the amount of music buffered before it starts so it becomes less susceptible to signal fluctuations.

Got a free Galaxy Note over the week-end, and its clunky........ Admit its flexible, but clunky. lost all of my contacts, miffed why, and had to factory re-set the whole thing.

Just a tip: When you set up the phone it gave you the option to back up your contacts to your GMail account. You can then simply restore them every time you reset (or setup) a new Android phone.

• 1 month later...

Wife took over the AIS 3G SIM , put it in iPad, and is promptly taking it out and using it in a second phone for voice calls and them discounts.

She was not impressed with AIs current network quality, and is back to using ipad Bluetooth sync on her Galaxy note / true move H sim.

Summary, likes the android ( can keep it ! I got her 4S now ) , AIS 3G still sucks

Edited by skippybangkok