New Tesco Lotus Being Built

UKJASE

we have just been to the market between soi 112 and soi 114 and noticed that across the road from the market, there is a new Tesco Lotus being built..... it doesnt look like a particularly huge one, but it will be good to have one with easier access than the Market Village one, and hopefully it will be open 24 hours too....

Good news for all us people lucky enough to live in Soi 102 and it's surrounding district...........

and also for the day trippers and other people that like to visit this fantastic part of Hua Hin whistling.gif

Tesco Express.

While the building being erected is nowhere near as big as the Tesco at MV or in Pranburi, it looks bigger than any Tesco Express I've ever seen. They are usually more like a 7/11 but this is more the size of (or larger than) the grocery department at the old Hua Hin shopping mall.

Edit: I just spoke with my wife after posting this and she says the construction I saw is going to be a petrol station (according to the sign out front in Thai) with the usual small shop(s) so maybe it will include a Tesco Express like the one downtown.

Edited by hhfarang

yea, i saw the sign in thai, but all i could make out of it was the tesco lotus sign..... there is already a petrol station just next door to that site, so they are not going to be too happy with the competition....

it must be a garage similar to the Esso garage in the centre of town that has the tesco express included

It is a rule among hypermarket retailers (Tesco, Carefour) that a regular size shopping mall comes at every 120 thousand people.

Hua Hin itself is less than 100K but with Cha Am, a full size mall may be possible in between. Could be, the spending power of the locals is calculated not to be sufficient (Pattaya region makes 1 million cars a year, lots of other industry and jobs non-hospitality related) and has 3 malls that I remember (Lotus, Carefour and .Big C).

Tesco Express.

While the building being erected is nowhere near as big as the Tesco at MV or in Pranburi, it looks bigger than any Tesco Express I've ever seen. They are usually more like a 7/11 but this is more the size of (or larger than) the grocery department at the old Hua Hin shopping mall.

Edit: I just spoke with my wife after posting this and she says the construction I saw is going to be a petrol station (according to the sign out front in Thai) with the usual small shop(s) so maybe it will include a Tesco Express like the one downtown.

I suggest you speak and listen to your wife more often, this will save you finger time.

Doubt their is much difference in travelling time to the new Tesco Exxpress being built on Soi 114 and 102 as Soi 102 and MV, so why is UKJASE so excited???

Doubt their is much difference in travelling time to the new Tesco Exxpress being built on Soi 114 and 102 as Soi 102 and MV, so why is UKJASE so excited???

Don't know about driving time from 102, but it will be welcomed by all of us who live south of the flyover. I live between Sois 114 and 116 and would love to have a supermarket in that area so I could stay well clear of town and Market Village and have something bigger than a 7/11 for quick necessity grocery runs. BTW, I've also heard a rumor that there is a Tesco going up on Soi 112 and someone has cleared a big piece of land but it doesn't look big enough for a full sized Tesco to me. (The rumor was that they were giving up their space in Market Village and moving to 112,... believe it when I see it.)

Anyway, after further discussion with the local Thais, it seems that we are talking about two different construction sites going up in that general area near Soi 114. The one across from the market by 114 is indeed a small Tesco Lotus (Express?) as UKJASE posted and somewhere nearby in the same general area there is a sign that says a Prototol (sp?, the big petrol chain with the blue flame on the sign) is going to be built.

Both will be welcome for residents in this area as the kids that work in that Mobile station will try to clip you (pretty sure they succeeded with me once) and I don't trust their gas either. Got some there that made the car start to sputter once like it had water or something else in it and have been driving all the way down to Suan Son (next nearest station) to get gas ever since.

Edited by hhfarang

• 1 month later...

Just to report back on this topic, the new Tesco opened last Friday (August 24th) and I don't know how they did it with such a smaller footprint, but if you take away the clothing, electronics, and furniture, they seem to have pretty much everything the Tesco in Market Village has, i.e., food items (both fresh and packaged), cleaning supplies and other dry goods like paper items, school supplies, pet supplies, etc. I don't see myself ever having to go to Market Village any more unless I want to eat at one of the restaurants there.

Also, my wife spoke to the store manager and he welcomes suggestions for possibly stocking items you would like to see but don't find there, especially items you normally purchase at the Tesco in MV. (As an example, their cheese stock was only one type on opening day, but there was a lot of space around it in the cooler indicating there was more variety to come if demand is there).

i had my first mosey over to this new tesco today, and i too was impressed...... everything i needed for a daily shop was there, and there was plenty of parking outside, and certainly a lot less hassle than getting to the one at market village

there was a few farang in there too, so hopefully if it gets lots of farang customer, it will stock lots of products that farang like..... the bread section was lacking on my visit this morning, but maybe it was the baker's day off

i think combining a visit there, with a fruit and veg run to the market over the road, will help to keep the fridge well stocked.....

i also heard that there was a celebratory coming to do a opening ceremony and raise the profile etc.... myself, plus a lot of the till operators etc were saying they hoped it will be BazilFox cool.png

i didnt realise you managed to survive here without using shops Baz.... are you still forraging in the forest for mushrooms, and tickling trout out of the rivers?

you are a sly one foxxy.... hats off to you my bushy tailed friend

Nice to realise that a small Tesco Lotus means so much to so few, really happy that this opening of a food retail store brightens up the lives of some Ex Pats.

Amazing Thailand.

i didnt realise you managed to survive here without using shops Baz.... are you still forraging in the forest for mushrooms, and tickling trout out of the rivers?

you are a sly one foxxy.... hats off to you my bushy tailed friend

Typical sarcastic Pommie response UKJASE - and you could improve your spelling!

Bazil the Fox is quite right - a small Tesco Lotus is no great addition to the pretty poor Hua Hin retail scene and nothing to get excited about.

I'd sit up and take notice if it had a really good deli section (which it hasn't), a quality bakery (which it hasn't) and crumpets!

For anyone who lives south of the flyover it is great. If you live in Bor Fai, no big woop. We live almost within walking distance of it so it means no more trips to the hated Market Village for us. I guess it just depends on your point of view and where you live. With the Tesco and the very good fresh market directly across the street, we will hardly ever have to come into town, and that suits me just fine after nearly 9 years here. There are enough restaurants in Takiab and on Sois 102 and 94 so now I never have to go any further than that into town. I don't go to bars so downtown has little to offer other than traffic, parking hassles, and police check points.

I'm sure there are plenty of people (Thai and Foreign) that live from Soi 102 to Kao Tao that are very happy to see this Tesco open.

• Like 1

For anyone who lives south of the flyover it is great. If you live in Bor Fai, no big woop. We live almost within walking distance of it so it means no more trips to the hated Market Village for us. I guess it just depends on your point of view and where you live. With the Tesco and the very good fresh market directly across the street, we will hardly ever have to come into town, and that suits me just fine after nearly 9 years here. There are enough restaurants in Takiab and on Sois 102 and 94 so now I never have to go any further than that into town. I don't go to bars so downtown has little to offer other than traffic, parking hassles, and police check points.

I'm sure there are plenty of people (Thai and Foreign) that live from Soi 102 to Kao Tao that are very happy to see this Tesco open.

Market Village has to be about the worst Lotus in Thailand for parking, I always hated going there and prefer Prtanburi if I am in HH., so yes for some it would be very much appreciated to save that hassle.

Strange that this store is the only one being mention on opening, their are many 7/11 and Tesco Ltus Express that have been opened in and around Hua Hin which have not been mentioned, why?

Because its no big deal, unless you have no life like the 2 or 3 losers that have highlited the importance of this store to their obviously boring existance.biggrin.pngclap2.gifbiggrin.png

What a stupid post, why dont the 3 of you just PM eachother, no one else is interested.

surely people can talk about what they want on here bazil? if the standard of the posting does not meet the high requirements you are so used to, simply move onto another post / activity.....

why the negativity baz??

Strange that this store is the only one being mention on opening, their are many 7/11 and Tesco Ltus Express that have been opened in and around Hua Hin which have not been mentioned, why?

Because its no big deal, unless you have no life like the 2 or 3 losers that have highlited the importance of this store to their obviously boring existance.biggrin.pngclap2.gifbiggrin.png

BazilFox, evidently you haven't been inside the store. It's no 7/11 or Lotus Express. It's a supermarket with pretty much everything the other Hua Hin supermarkets have as far as food and normal household products go (except Villa Market of course).

Instead of constantly making negative comments about it, why don't you go walk around in it and compare it with the Lotus Express downtown and you will see the difference.

Sorry this thread disturbs you so much but I think the main purpose of local expat forums here is to let others know of anything that will make their life better or easier or more convenient, which this store does for anyone living in the south end of town or Takiab.

You seem to be bothered by nearly every thread on the board. Why not just stop reading and take some stress out of your life?

HH - why don't you and others go to Villa Market? There are absolutely no parking problems and the produce sold there is far fresher than Macro, let alone any Tesco Lotus outlet anywhere In HH. OK - it may be a few shekels dearer on some items (but not all - some items are even cheaper than Macro) but it seems to be a mind set many farangs have that they will not shop there because they feel they are being ripped off in some way! Can't understand the cheapskate mentality!

• Like 1

BazilFox, evidently you haven't been inside the store. It's no 7/11 or Lotus Express. It's a supermarket with pretty much everything the other Hua Hin supermarkets have as far as food and normal household products go (except Villa Market of course).

Instead of constantly making negative comments about it, why don't you go walk around in it and compare it with the Lotus Express downtown and you will see the difference.

Sorry this thread disturbs you so much but I think the main purpose of local expat forums here is to let others know of anything that will make their life better or easier or more convenient, which this store does for anyone living in the south end of town or Takiab.

You seem to be bothered by nearly every thread on the board. Why not just stop reading and take some stress out of your life?

HH - why don't you and others go to Villa Market? There are absolutely no parking problems and the produce sold there is far fresher than Macro, let alone any Tesco Lotus outlet anywhere In HH. OK - it may be a few shekels dearer on some items (but not all - some items are even cheaper than Macro) but it seems to be a mind set many farangs have that they will not shop there because they feel they are being ripped off in some way! Can't understand the cheapskate mentality!

Maybe it's because I have no self control when I see all those expensive imported items I love from the U.S. whistling.gif

I go to Tesco or the Old Hua Hin Shopping Mall and come out with an huge overflowing rolling cart of (a month's worth of) goods for 3 to 4k baht. When I go to Villa Market I come out with a plastic bag in each hand of stuff for 3 to 4k baht! biggrin.png

Maybe it's because I have no self control when I see all those expensive imported items I love from the U.S. whistling.gif

I go to Tesco or the Old Hua Hin Shopping Mall and come out with an huge overflowing rolling cart of (a month's worth of) goods for 3 to 4k baht. When I go to Villa Market I come out with a plastic bag in each hand of stuff for 3 to 4k baht! biggrin.png

Ridiculous, 1 shopping trolley to 2 bags of stuff, depends what you buy, stupid comparison.

I like Villa Market, quality with brands from home.

Agree with you entirely, quality for foodstuff we are used to and UKJASE can park for FREE.