Do You Carry A Weapon?

believe me forangs cannot own guns. Thais have themselves protected from people from out of country by not allowing forangs to won guns. anyone who says you can are lying and if u think u hav bought i gun legally and show it off you could be on the plane in 9 months

Why would anyone believe you BigC, when you've consistently shown that you have no idea what you are talking about on any topic.

Farangs can own guns in Thailand, you need a work permit.

Sorry tourists, no weapons for you

"For foreigners, if you want to buy a gun, you must have a work permit in Thailand, you must have a house registration in Thailand, and you also need to have a check of your criminal record.

"If you don't live in Thailand, and you are a traveler, you can buy a holster, leather cases, and cleaning products. Stuff that is not part of the guns. You cannot buy magazines, bullets, or anything about the guns."

Anyone who wants to know anything accurate about Thailand here is best to ignore anything BigC writes.

Edited by ydraw

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

believe me forangs cannot own guns. Thais have themselves protected from people from out of country by not allowing forangs to won guns. anyone who says you can are lying and if u think u hav bought i gun legally and show it off you could be on the plane in 9 months

Why would anyone believe you BigC, when you've consistently shown that you have no idea what you are talking about on any topic.

Farangs can own guns in Thailand, you need a work permit.

Sorry tourists, no weapons for you

"For foreigners, if you want to buy a gun, you must have a work permit in Thailand, you must have a house registration in Thailand, and you also need to have a check of your criminal record.

"If you don't live in Thailand, and you are a traveler, you can buy a holster, leather cases, and cleaning products. Stuff that is not part of the guns. You cannot buy magazines, bullets, or anything about the guns."

Anyone who wants to know anything accurate about Thailand here is best to ignore anything BigC writes.

Talk about calling the kettle black....

I don't think we've seen a well thought out statement from you yet.... outrageous mis-informed statements, and of course you are always right..... blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

• Like 2

I want to point out a common misconception.

Most Thais are "normal" people and do not have the backing of friends or associates who are either "mafia" or would be willing to possibly go to jail to support the moronic actions of a fellow Thai. There is a romanticized angle that every Thai, man or woman, has "friends" who will come and take revenge if you have any tussle with them. If I am wronged by a Thai, or even if I am in the wrong, most Thais would think at least twice before getting involved in a petty incident to "even the score" for someone else. Thai people know about Thai jails too, you know.

I have always heard this bulllshit about, "I have a friend in the police" or "I know someone who blah blah blah will get you if you don't behave." The vast majority of Thais are working stiffs who have no hit man connections.

Of course, if you screw with some Thai in a bar, you're asking for a dogpile. Likewise, if you get in an accident that does not involve assault or battery, you're likely to see other Thais trying to cash in.

Having said that, you may still have to deal with the perpetrator. The guy who went postal on me knows what I look like and the bike I drive. Samui is not big, particularly as he was coming out of Lamai, which would mean he probably lives in my neck of the woods. I'm not carrying a weapon, at least not now, but there is a decent argument for being prepared for the worst case self defense scenario.

getting caught with an unlisenced gun equals jail and depotation.

Luckily then it's legal to get a license for one, even for Farangs.

Interesting....so where is the local gun shop?

Not sure of the present laws but it was possible 2 years ago. Cost at Amphur was 6,000 Baht plus 500 for secondary travel licence. 9mm, 38 etc needed to be stated. Took 3 weeks for documntation. Gun shops in BKK wont entertain you unless this is shown at which point you could purchase the appropriate weapon. Documentation is given to the seller who then sends back to the amphur and a copy for you, this was almost 5 weeks at which time you could then coolect your licence for the specified weapon including serial number. Buy new as secondhand could cause problems later with registration.

I don't think we've seen a well thought out statement from you yet.... outrageous mis-informed statements, and of course you are always right..... blink.pngblink.pngblink.png

I have links to news reports and legal documents backing up what I say, and I always do provide such links. You can call that "misinformed" if you like. I'm sure whatever you heard from some guy in the pub is more accurate.

Almost got into a fight with a late 20s Kiwi guy recently..he joined our group in The Londonder then we went on to a club- started off all friendly, but clearly one of those aggressive drunk types- he was itching for a fight with me but i used my brain, managed to talk him out of it.

The key to talking guys like this out of starting a fight with you is: 1) putting on a show of sincerity when talking 2) , don't use big words or in anyway use a complex argument - the Kiwi guy was a bit dim brain wise (as most guys who get aggressive when drunk are) and this gives them a massive inferiority complex which makes then extra quick to take offense if they feel you are trying to put them down verbally.

• Like 1

I have links to news reports and legal documents backing up what I say, and I always do provide such links. You can call that "misinformed" if you like. I'm sure whatever you heard from some guy in the pub is more accurate.

ok so if i am wrong how many forangs do you know who own guns with lisences in their own names with shown documents and the peice of metal to proof it.

you can findas many links as you like but a link is not evidence. You show me a forang speically in Samui with a gun lisence in his or her name then i shall beleive u or you can keep posting links. i suppose if anyone wants to know anything about thailand then they should taken you links as advise.

Infact if anyone wants to try to obtain a gun then i suggest asking a lawyer.

don't you think i have not tried every anenve to possess a legal fire arm. those who know me know i love these things.

only people that can own fire arms are diplomates. Maybe forangs who have obtained Thai citerzernship or occasionally forang police.( not toursit police )

Beleive me ydraw

I want to point out a common misconception.

Most Thais are "normal" people and do not have the backing of friends or associates who are either "mafia" or would be willing to possibly go to jail to support the moronic actions of a fellow Thai. There is a romanticized angle that every Thai, man or woman, has "friends" who will come and take revenge if you have any tussle with them. If I am wronged by a Thai, or even if I am in the wrong, most Thais would think at least twice before getting involved in a petty incident to "even the score" for someone else. Thai people know about Thai jails too, you know.

I have always heard this bulllshit about, "I have a friend in the police" or "I know someone who blah blah blah will get you if you don't behave." The vast majority of Thais are working stiffs who have no hit man connections.

Of course, if you screw with some Thai in a bar, you're asking for a dogpile. Likewise, if you get in an accident that does not involve assault or battery, you're likely to see other Thais trying to cash in.

Having said that, you may still have to deal with the perpetrator. The guy who went postal on me knows what I look like and the bike I drive. Samui is not big, particularly as he was coming out of Lamai, which would mean he probably lives in my neck of the woods. I'm not carrying a weapon, at least not now, but there is a decent argument for being prepared for the worst case self defense scenario.

just FYI, when you pick a fight with the Thai pr he picks a fight with you. Then how do you know anything about him. he could be a policeman he could be mafia. he could be nobody it is up to you how you want to find out but i do know that most thais stick together when it all kicks off. up 2 you if you want to push my thiory to the test. Plus most of them can smash the shit out of us forangs as their bodies are far stronger and they are more conditioned to this climate.

i have seen the smallest of Thai people take down giant forangs and leave them cut to peices with just they body as a weapon.

you come out here to some elses country then u might have to stand down and bite your tounge or you can do the opposite to what i say as i know nothing after begin here for 11 years and seen allot of friend die in road accidents, shootings the lot but pay no attension to me as what i write means nothing.....good day!!!

Almost got into a fight with a late 20s Kiwi guy recently..he joined our group in The Londonder then we went on to a club- started off all friendly, but clearly one of those aggressive drunk types- he was itching for a fight with me but i used my brain, managed to talk him out of it.

The key to talking guys like this out of starting a fight with you is: 1) putting on a show of sincerity when talking 2) , don't use big words or in anyway use a complex argument - the Kiwi guy was a bit dim brain wise (as most guys who get aggressive when drunk are) and this gives them a massive inferiority complex which makes then extra quick to take offense if they feel you are trying to put them down verbally.

Always better to diffuse the situation like you have said.

Its says a lot about a person's character when they get drunk and want to pick fights. Admittedly, as pointed out, it also says a lot about their brain cell usage.

Well number one...... I don't go to bars / pubs, period, so you are dead wrong there... (guess he's not always right !!!tongue.png )

Number 2 .... I read through that last link, seriously you might have qualifying under several sections there.... rolleyes.gif

Number 3..... Obviously you have a number of problems, here, that many of us don't seem to run into, perhaps it is the company you keep? Bar people?

Perhaps you need an attitude adjustment or perhaps go back and tend your sheep.... or what ever you had on the farm....whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

Anyone else agree????

Edited by samuijimmy

ok so if i am wrong how many forangs do you know who own guns with lisences in their own names with shown documents and the peice of metal to proof it.

Well for one, there's "PattayaPhom" 3 posts above yours who confirmed he personally got a gun license.

only people that can own fire arms are diplomates. Maybe forangs who have obtained Thai citerzernship or occasionally forang police.( not toursit police )

Beleive me ydraw

Again, wrong. Of course I do not believe you on this subject or any other, because you've been shown time again to talk mostly out of your arse.

Number 3..... Obviously you have a number of problems, here, that many of us don't seem to run into, perhaps it is the company you keep? Bar people?

What makes you say that? The only problem I have is people that continually give bad and/or wrong advice on this forum. I do not own a gun in Thailand, but that doesn't stop me from being able to research whether or not it is possible.

It's very noble of you to stick up for your friend BigC all the time. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his "advice" on these forums is always terrible and usually take the form of "you're a farang, you can't do anything in Thailand, so don't try" - except less coherent.

Edited by ydraw
  • Like 1

Well for one, there's "PattayaPhom" 3 posts above yours who confirmed he personally got a gun license.

Beleive me ydraw

Again, wrong. Of course I do not believe you on this subject or any other, because you've been shown time again to talk mostly out of your arse.

What makes you say that? The only problem I have is people that continually give bad and/or wrong advice on this forum. I do not own a gun in Thailand, but that doesn't stop me from being able to research whether or not it is possible.

It's very noble of you to stick up for your friend BigC all the time. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his "advice" on these forums is always terrible and usually take the form of "you're a farang, you can't do anything in Thailand, so don't try" - except less coherent.

OMG this guy just does not get it.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Two planks short ..... not all the lights on? .........

Hey Big C maybe we should meet up and become friends, biggrin.png so long as you don't invite me to a bar! tongue.png

Anyway, we all have the code to decifa big C's posts, you don't qualify....whistling.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

OMG this guy just does not get it.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Two planks short ..... not all the lights on? .........

Hey Big C maybe we should meet up and become friends, biggrin.png so long as you don't invite me to a bar! tongue.png

Anyway, we all have the code to decifa big C's post, you don't qualify....whistling.gif

Super response. No comment then about PattayaPhom's post? I suppose he is lying too? Not to mention the gun shop owner, the lawyers and everyone else who says it's possible.

They are all wrong and the barely literate BigC is right, is that what you're saying?

Edited by ydraw

Anyway, we all have the code to decifa big C's post, you don't qualify....whistling.gif

Super response. No comment then about PattayaPhom's post? I suppose he is lying too? Not to mention the gun shop owner, the lawyers and everyone else who says it's possible.

They are all wrong and the barely literate BigC is right, is that what you're saying?

Glad you liked it, ...... well P Phom, starts off by saying....... he's not sure........

That sounds very reliable......

Have a car lock in the truck, but would only use if attacked and at last resort< i.e. they attacked me whilst I'm sitting in vehicle.

My wife has pepper spray in her bag.

After 15 years in Thailand never even considered or come close to using either.

The only issues I have ever had have been idiot drunk foreigners. Who take offence when a Thai friend tells them to p8ss off, often after assuming that as they are both Thai and female they are up for it.

In both cases I sit back and let them get on with on it, Thai female friends I refer to are from Nakon Si educated married and scary as hell :)

I always believe showing confidence in a firm and calm manner, advocating non violence and a non confrontational stance are not cowardly actions but smart.

• Like 2

i am so sure that you cannot purchase a gun legally in your name that if you can i shall let you shoot me can;t say fairer than that

Beleive me ydraw

PattayaPhom never said he owned a gun wasjust sharing information as how to obtain 1. the answer is simple if you belive all these links go to the mayor of samui ask him fora gun. take a print of all the internet copys you have with you. so if he denys you you can show him your " internet links" and tell him he is wrong and he has to sign your paper.

come back when you have done that. problem is that if you do eveything i said you shall never come back as i am 100 per cent sure that you shall not have one.

The only chance is of you have a thai wife but even for thai people in samui it is not easy. i seriously doubt unless she has some qualities that she shall be able to obtain one. anyway i cannot be bothered to waist time on talkiong to indoits who think they know it all because the internet told them everything they need to know.

I do not know everything about thailand i would be foolish to think i do. i am learning every day and one thing i do learn it that there is always some &lt;deleted&gt; who thinks they know everything about thailand and they are just a bore to talk with.

The only other way i thibnk a forang might be able to obtain a lisence is if he has one in his own country there might be a small chance they could transfer the lisence into a permit to use for sport or spmething in thailand.

Also if a forang did manage to someone how get someone in authority to sign then the forang can be arrested and the person who signed can find them self in trouble becuase the law clearly states that forangs cannot own guns.

I herd that in Bangkok if you have a Bangkok address then it is possible but this is the samui forum so as far as i know samui is almost impossible.

anyway enough.........................................

Do what you want carry knives wives guns i don't care if you get caught or save your own life or stab someone up. just passing on information,

happy gun shopping. oh if you do decide to get one i suggest you keep it in your car and wave it about at thai people i am sure they shall love that !

• Like 1

a ? can my wife carry a gun if shes in the car with me,i remember a few year ago i was in a irish pub in pattaya and some guys from nothern ireland started a fight with me i was with 2 bar girls i knew a long time only friends but this person just wanted to fight a with me and took a knife out one of the girls called the police from the toilet and the other girl took a gun out of her bag and put it up to his head i was a bit scared at this but the police came in guns every where pointing at the thai lady she took her id out and gave a phone no, to the police man in charge he called the no, then put her on the phone to talk to someone then the police arrested all the guys who wanted to fight me,she said pa,pa, she top in army i can do,true but weird story.

pa pa she top in army??? should that not be "he" top in army. Not a chance an army officer kid is going to end up in the p4p play scene, dont doubt your story but serioulsy doubt hers.

Provided you meet the criteria and have the approval from your local amphur you can apply and will likely get a permit.

You have next to no chance of getting a carry permit unless you are involved in a high risk business that justifies it.

A travel permit allows you to take the gun to and from reasonable places such as gun ranges or weaponsmiths.

If you have it in your car it must be unloaded and stored separately from the ammunition, and you must have reasonable cause for it being there. Taking it tithe gun range at 2am would probablY not be a reasonable cause...

The law is not Thai specific but obviously the requirement to have local approval could be a sticking point. Might help to wrap the application around a case of Johnny gold.

Your lady, if you have one should have no trouble.

For home defense anyone in the house is allowed to use a properly registered weapon, not just the licensee.

This is the most well informed post. do not listen the that Ybloke. just because i back this post does not make it ill informed.

this post states things asclear as possible in Thailand.The truth is that the law really is not 100 per cent clear. There are many types of lisences. Only police, lawyers and people that carry something very valable around with them for business reasons can carry their guns outside their house but they cannot show them off. in other words in a bag. exeption of police and security guards.

Most lisences are to protect assets which normally means the address where the gun is registered to.

That being said i don;t think you could get away with inviting your enemey to your house for a cup of tea would look good in a police report.

As for carrying the gun to the range. there is no law. Like said if the gun is in the car at 0200 am then the police could bring you into the station for suspicon and make your life hell. you think police helmet fines are annoying you try getting nocked for a gun.

biggrin.png Best weapon, throw yourself on the ground & throw a fit. watch reaction.They will probably kick you laugh.png

It has been said that if you are about to be raped (this excludes BigC), you should induce yourself to vomit all over yourself.

why have you got a problem with me or you just want to rape me ???

I'd like to suggest you all take advantage and learn the art of 8 limbs while you live in the place it was born. It's good for your mind, body and spirit, and if you do get into any trouble it might just help you to defend yourself or ward off trouble.

and stop ragging on BigC, you just might just meet him one day!

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

Rumour has it the Smokes carries a big grudge as his arsenal.

Don't touch Smokie, full of hot air, will burst & hurt you.That's what they call a walking time bomb, WMD.

The pair of you are lucky I'm in the Dam with my pipe of peace.

No weapons for me....the pen is mightier than the sword.

Duck and run is the safest option overall....maybe a metal baseball bat near your pillow aint a bad idea though sorry to say...

Anyone who has been burgled will understand that sentiment I think..

• Like 1

Rumour has it the Smokes carries a big grudge as his arsenal.

Don't touch Smokie, full of hot air, will burst & hurt you.That's what they call a walking time bomb, WMD.

The pair of you are lucky I'm in the Dam with my pipe of peace.

No weapons for me....the pen is mightier than the sword.

Duck and run is the safest option overall....maybe a metal baseball bat near your pillow aint a bad idea though sorry to say...

Anyone who has been burgled will understand that sentiment I think..

guns are peace full. just one big bang then the other paerty shuts up for every )

BigC would never have to vomit on himself....

"The art of the eight limbs..." Ancient kungfu technique....

the art of whydraw ot ydraw for short. push him infornt of my attacker so he can quote internet links at my opponent . i shall run around and get a vantage point whilst the crazy man is getting baffled then i shall drop a few cuebic meters of cpax on them.

Ydraw can tell the attacker then the internet says that he cannot attack him and he has links to prove it. then tell the thai man to wait there whilst he takes his lap top to the mayor to apply for a gun lisence to shoot the attacker.

there you go ydraw the pen is mighty than the sword. maybe you should become yesdraw. then u can carry your pen around as a weapon

Edited by BigC
  • Like 1

Maybe some of you guys should settle it at some of the shooting ranges across this island :-)

Thought about going there for the last three trips but never tried one of those places so far.

As for carrying a weapon here is my oppinion.

You can kill but you need to catch me first :-)

Im one of those guys who loves to drink, but i never fight, and if i end up in a corner i can normally talk myself out of it.

Life is precious and everyone should appreciate it.