2012 Ninja/Er 650 (Loose Front Sprocket)

karlos

After deciding to adjust the chain myself (Kawasaki seem unable to to such a simple task) i noticed that the chain had a tight link somewhere..... On closer inspection this wasn't the case!

I found that the front sprocket had worn excessively, much quicker than i expected it to (as i clean and lube the chain every 250-500km depending on the weather conditions)

After ordering a front sprocket from Kawasaki (Rear sprocket and chain to be ordered elsewhere) i decided to check if i had the correct size sockets for the job. When sizing up the socket size for the front sprocket i found that the nut was loose and that the whole sprocket had shifted over and had been rubbing against the inside of the outer links of the chain.

As you can see from the photo, the sprocket has worn to a mirror finish and has heat marks, the same can be said the chain..... I hate to think how hot the chain had been getting :S

My question is....... Do you think it's unreasonable to ask Kawasaki to replace the chain and both sprockets under warranty?

I ask this question, as the Manager at my dealership said that it wasn't Kawasaki's fault that the front sprocket was/had come loose and made it very difficult for me, but i stood firm and he/Kawasaki are going to change it all for free.

post-59428-0-23849500-1342612221_thumb.j

Absolutely mate!

Kawasaki have a poor reputation when it comes to spares, waiting times and fitting.

Thank god Ive got BP Racing now on the second road in Pattaya where they know exactly what they are doing!!!

• Like 1

Absolutely mate!

Kawasaki have a poor reputation when it comes to spares, waiting times and fitting.

Thank god Ive got BP Racing now on the second road in Pattaya where they know exactly what they are doing!!!

Can you get a refund from Kawasaki Pattaya? You could order a set of rearsets from AP and have them by Saturday mate. Just in time for our shopping trip to Paddock on Sunday ;)

Seems like Somchai at the factory didn't torque down the sprocket nut enough. Looking at the sprocket I'd have thought the output shaft would have got a tad warm too. It's absolutely Kawasaki's responsibility. I've had bikes back in England where the warranty has expired by a bit but the manufacturer (Yamaha) has treated the faults free of charge.

• Like 1

Seems like Somchai at the factory didn't torque down the sprocket nut enough. Looking at the sprocket I'd have thought the output shaft would have got a tad warm too. It's absolutely Kawasaki's responsibility. I've had bikes back in England where the warranty has expired by a bit but the manufacturer (Yamaha) has treated the faults free of charge.

I checked the output shaft and it seems fine, no notches, scores or heat marks, but i'm curious what such vibrations would have done to the outputshaft's bearing..... But getting that replaced without an immediately obvious fault would be a dam sight harder.

I checked the output shaft and it seems fine, no notches, scores or heat marks, but i'm curious what such vibrations would have done to the outputshaft's bearing..... But getting that replaced without an immediately obvious fault would be a dam sight harder.

If there's no oil weeping from the seal there's a good chance the bearing is still okay, especially if you can't feel any play in the shaft.

no mate Go at BP Racing is dealing with Rama 9 Kwacker.

It surprising to see that Kawasaki don't have stock of such a likely part to break in an accident..... :S

If it was something like a fuel pump, injector etc, then ok, a few weeks at most would to be expected, but a foot rest....

I doubt i'll buy Kawasaki again in Thailand :(