Storing A Vehicle Long Term

Jeff1

I will be leaving my Truck in Thailand for almost a year . Does anyone have any tips on how to store a vehicle for that long ? Should I remove the battery and tires ? I have heard this before .

Jeff, do you have someone that you can trust to look after your vehicle? Long term storage can lead to many problems. Have a read below. This is from the RACQ web site.

At sometime or another most of us will need to store our car, or at least not use it for a few weeks. The following information is a guide to storing your car and returning it to service while, as far as possible, avoiding some of the problems that can arise.

Firstly it’s appropriate to start with a word of warning. Storing a vehicle for long periods can result in unavoidable problems, no matter how well it is prepared. Components can corrode, deteriorate and seize up from lack of use and often there is little, if anything, that can be done to prevent it. If you plan to store your car for more than a few months you should be prepared for some repair bills when it’s due to go back into service, and probably afterward as well.

Without doubt the best way to look after your car in your absence is not to store it at all. Instead, have someone you trust drive it regularly. Preferably this should be weekly for about 30 minutes to allow everything to reach operating temperature and to circulate oils and fluids. This use, while infrequent, offers the best chance of ensuring that everything continues to operate properly. Inevitably however, things will go wrong simply through normal wear and tear. Also don’t overlook the fact that regular servicing will be required even when the vehicle doesn’t travel any significant distance. Servicing should be scheduled for every 6 months or 5,000 km whichever comes first.

If you can’t arrange for regular use, the appropriate method of storage will depend on the length of time you plan to store the vehicle. In all cases the vehicle should be stored in a secure, enclosed area. If this is not possible avoid parking it near trees or in areas where it is exposed to atmospheric contamination. Open sided carports are not ideal but are better than no protection at all. Car covers should be used to prevent dust build up that could damage paint and bright work, however avoid car covers in areas where the vehicle will be exposed to wind, as moving car covers will wear through the paint on panel edges and corners.

For periods up to about 4 weeks no special treatment is necessary, however the vehicle should be cleaned inside and out and left to thoroughly dry before being stored. The fuel tank should be filled to prevent condensation and tyres inflated to approximately 30 kpa above their normal pressure. Depending on the battery’s condition and vehicle’s electrical load, it will probably retain its charge for this period of time, however if the battery is in poor condition or the vehicle has a high electrical drain, it may have to be recharged or replaced at the end of the storage period.

Apart from correcting tyre pressures, there are no special requirements for putting the vehicle back into service after a short period of storage, however it is important to be on the look out for any issues that may arise as a result of the storage. These can include brake and clutch hydraulic problems and coolant leaks.

For periods greater than about one month you should have the vehicle serviced, and oils, coolant, brake and clutch fluids changed. The fuel tank should be filled to prevent condensation. The body should be cleaned and polished and chrome work should be sprayed with protective oil such as WD 40. The interior trim should be cleaned and treated with a suitable vinyl protector. Ensure that the body/chassis rust proofing is in sound condition as general body corrosion may occur if the vehicle is stored in a humid environment or if the vehicle is stored wet.

All engine openings such as intake; exhaust and breathers should be plugged with rag wherever possible. The battery should be removed and the battery tray cleaned with warm water and baking soda and coated with protective oil such as WD40 or a similar product. The battery should be regularly charged, however depending on its age, condition and the length of the storage, it may fail and need to be replaced when the vehicle is put back into service. The vehicle should be placed on stands with the suspension in a loaded position and the tyres clear of the ground. The park brake should be disengaged. Grease points, if any, should be lubricated.

The requirements for returning the vehicle to service will depend on the length of the storage. For storage up to three months, basic attention to tyre pressures, battery and reversing the storage procedure will probably suffice. However for periods longer than this you should also plan as a minimum to have a full service carried out, the brake system inspected and if necessary overhauled, the fuel system drained and refilled with fresh fuel, as well as any other necessary repairs.

Additional/related information

When batteries are disconnected it is not unusual for later model cars to lose some of their computer memory. This may require them to re-learn things like engine idle speeds and transmission shift information. If this is the case the owner’s handbook will often provide information or instructions about the re-learn procedures. Also don’t forget that if your car is fitted with a security-coded radio, you will need to re-enter its code before it will operate.

Another common problem relating to storing manual vehicles is that the clutch plate can become rusted to the flywheel over time. There are ways to overcome this however they are methods best left to a professional.

Never run an engine in a confined space due to the dangers from exhaust gases. If using a car cover, be sure to fully remove it before running the engine so that it doesn’t contact heated bonnets or other components or block cooling air flow to the engine.

I belive you are right Daddy ,

It does seem to be more problems than it's worth having it stored . I guess I will have to turn over the keys to my neighbor , why not , he knows everything about everything already . It's just that the truck is brand new and it pains me to have anyone else drive my baby .

Thanks for the advice .

My Landcruiser in Aust. and/or DMax in Thailand get stored when I am away from either, up to 11 months at a time. I disconnect the batteries (2 in Landcruiser) and just cover the vehicles in a condom (car cover) in a dry garaged location. No problems what so ever with either vehicle AND they are in one piece when I return. If I wasn't so lazy I'd probably put the vehicles on blocks to eliminate tyre problems should there be a slow leak, hasn't bitten me yet - touch wood.

I will be leaving my Truck in Thailand for almost a year . Does anyone have any tips on how to store a vehicle for that long ? Should I remove the battery and tires ? I have heard this before .

After 9/11 I did not return to America for about 14 months. My car was parked in a secure garage with the battery disconnected. When I returned it started (after a battery recharge). The tires had lost only a little air. It was a 1992 Mercedes 500SL. I normally leave it in this state of hibernation for 3 months at a time.

I think the RACQ comments just about sum things up, however, we are talking Thailand here and in my job I see regularly the results of vehicles not being attended to or used.

Oviously the best thing is to have someone come in and at least start the vehicle regularly, and I do recommend putting the vehicle on blocks to eliminate tyre damage if its not to be driven

But being in Thailand i think one of the biggest dangers, is the vehicle being taken over by rats with edibles such as electric wiring being nibbled/eaten/destroyed which will require a total re-wire around the areas affected. Not to mention damage by rats to seats etc.

The rats of course will then attract snakes who love covered unused cars!!!!!!!!

I write this seriously and am certainly not taking the mickey

I think the RACQ comments just about sum things up, however, we are talking Thailand here and in my job I see regularly the results of vehicles not being attended to or used.

Oviously the best thing is to have someone come in and at least start the vehicle regularly, and I do recommend putting the vehicle on blocks to eliminate tyre damage if its not to be driven

But being in Thailand i think one of the biggest dangers, is the vehicle being taken over by rats with edibles such as electric wiring being nibbled/eaten/destroyed which will require a total re-wire around the areas affected. Not to mention damage by rats to seats etc.

The rats of course will then attract snakes who love covered unused cars!!!!!!!!

I write this seriously and am certainly not taking the mickey

I had this happen last time home with my motorcycle that sits for only one month at a time. When I hit a bump the engine would die. We pulled it down a find rats had got in and eaten some of the wiring loom and was arking on the frame. They get into anything

I think the racq comments refer to much older cars that would sit in garages and have to deal with cold and wet winters. In Thailand it will get wet but there is still a lot of heat to dry things up even tough it is humid.

I would change the oil, put it on blocks and buy one of those solar panel battery chargers and install that out side on the roof or somewhere where you it will get a good amount of sunlight. That way you avoid having to remove your battery and lose your alarm capability. It will get sufficient trickle charge to keep it topped up. Fill the tank right up as well, It will be cheaper than doing it when you get back and will prevent condensation as said.

I would then give your keys to your neigbour and get him to start it once a month for 20 minutes or so with the cover off and hood up (they would need to disconnect the charger anyway). Offer him some small amount to do this for you to show your appriciation or do something to help them, it will be well worth it and with it being on blocks it won't be able to be driven. Buy one of those brake pedal locks and keep the keys for that with you for added security. You would need to find someone you can trust of course and hopefully with some mechanical know how, probably the elder man of the house. Hopefuly you may know someone who can check on it from time to time, some farang mates?

If it gets started once a month and is a new car as you say, the battery should be ok without the charger.

It's probably good to get them to pop it into gear as well for a bit and let the wheels free wheel, just make sure they are clear of the ground and it is securley on blocks. If it is an auto you can bypass the brake being locked out (preventing it going into gear) by the lockout button on the shifter.

Hope this helps, I know how you feel about leaving a new car to the will of the gods!

I agree that leaving a car for a year will do more damage than good.

Why not find someone to rent the truck out to for a year?

I strongly disagree with both your statements. As the OP indicated it is a new vehicle, dry storage should not effect it --- I would sell before leaving it to the family or worse still, renting it out.

From my experience the average Thai has little respect for vehicles bought by farang and not much more for their own.

Are we talking about inside or outside storage?

I don't think you'll have much problem if its inside storage for that period of time. I would disconnect the battery and perhaps go with one of those solar chargers mentioned above. Change the oil just before storage to remove any possible old oil that might contain acids. Put some rat poison pellets in the garage.

A year's storage inside a garage isn't too bad.

kenk3z

Thank you all so muh for your replies . I have alot to ponder .

It is a new Dmax , highlander , automatic pickup ( yes I said the P word ) .

I would like to store it at my house that has a carport . Meaning that it has a roof and is protected by two walls of the house . I use a steering wheel lock when im away for short periods of time . Also have a cover but RATS ! Never thought about that .

It does seem to be better to give the keys to someone that will start it and take it for a short drive once a week . Im just not sure if he will understand " short drive " or not . If he even puts a dent on it , im sure it will lead to a big problem that I would rather avoid , but almost a year is to long to leave sitting ......I think . :o

Like I said if you put it on blocks it could be started without anyone "taking it around the block" A year is a long time to leave it on it's wheels without moving.

I would be very carefull about letting family drive it. As said before, I too have seen results of Thais getting hold of a farangs car. There will be all sorts of "needy" family members with excuses to use it.

Who is looking after your house? A year is a long time to leave one of those as well.

Being an auto someone who starts it could put it in "D" with the handbrake on to let the oil circulate, that would help.

I think if you did it like that you will be ok. Definately needs to be started but make it impossible to move.

Are you married? Get your wife to read the riot act to the family about taking care of it, after all, you probably take care of them when you are here.

Talking from experience. I just bought a new car and got my wife to drive it once a month while I'm away for 2 months working, got home and she racked up 3500 km's in it! just needed to sit her down and explain to her what I wanted. Now she just starts it once a week and never drives it...

Like I said if you put it on blocks it could be started without anyone "taking it around the block" A year is a long time to leave it on it's wheels without moving.

I would be very carefull about letting family drive it. As said before, I too have seen results of Thais getting hold of a farangs car. There will be all sorts of "needy" family members with excuses to use it.

Who is looking after your house? A year is a long time to leave one of those as well.

Being an auto someone who starts it could put it in "D" with the handbrake on to let the oil circulate, that would help.

I think if you did it like that you will be ok. Definately needs to be started but make it impossible to move.

Are you married? Get your wife to read the riot act to the family about taking care of it, after all, you probably take care of them when you are here.

Talking from experience. I just bought a new car and got my wife to drive it once a month while I'm away for 2 months working, got home and she racked up 3500 km's in it! just needed to sit her down and explain to her what I wanted. Now she just starts it once a week and never drives it...

The house , I am trying to rent out ( see classfied around page 6 or 7 " house for rent in Korat " ) .

With a lower asking price than stated . However intrusting my truck to a renter .....

Married , yes but my wife's family ( all of them ) can not drive . They are also smart enough to NOT kill the goose .

The more I think about it I will have to come back in July or so just to check on things , God knows , I have the miles .

I just saw on the news this morning , a truck like mine filled with Thai's ended up in the hospital because they could not figure out the automatic :o Now that I have started driving in Thailand I feel to really love the Thai people as one should , one should not drive amongst them . On this I might start a blog

The house , I am trying to rent out ( see classfied around page 6 or 7 " house for rent in Korat " ) .

With a lower asking price than stated . However intrusting my truck to a renter .....

Married , yes but my wife's family ( all of them ) can not drive . They are also smart enough to NOT kill the goose .

The more I think about it I will have to come back in July or so just to check on things , God knows , I have the miles .

I just saw on the news this morning , a truck like mine filled with Thai's ended up in the hospital because they could not figure out the automatic :o Now that I have started driving in Thailand I feel to really love the Thai people as one should , one should not drive amongst them . On this I might start a blog

Jeff,

this is what I do for a couple of Aussie mates that live part time in Buriram. Like you, they do not like leaving their pick ups with Thai family / friends :D They leave the vehicles with me to look after. Any servicing that is due I pay for. If the registration / insurance is due whilst they are away, I organise it for them. As I live inside of town and use my motorcy for most things, the vehicles normally only clock up a couple of 1000K's over a relatively long period of time. When they return to Buriram, I pick them up from wherever, they drop me off home and 2 / 4 months later, we do it again. The benefits for them are basically, peace of mind. The benifits for me are, if I need to go to Surin / Korat at short notice, I have a vehicle here and dont have to rely on my wifes family / friends.

I am sure that there must be someone in Korat that you can trust enough to do something likewise :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was transfered to Manila for two years while living in BKK. I changed the fluids and oil filter and then put my old Land Rover up on blocks. I then handed the keys to my father-in-law and told him to start it once a week, run it til it was hot, put it in gear a few times, and step on the brakes. That keeps surfaces from drying out and seizing. When I came back it ran fine. Rats had chewed my mud flaps and built a nest in the engine compartment, and the bettery died about 3 months later, but other than that everything was good. Gasoline doesn't store that well, so unless you put a fuel stabilizer in the tank you may have problems if it just sits there for a long time without running.