Bt300 Minimum Wage A Failure, Survey Says

webfact

Thailand is a completely lawless country. The laws are never enforced and no one is EVER genuine about changing the status quo. Paying heed to anything the Thai government says is like taking testimony from an individual with the most pathological case of dishonesty known to man. Even the Syrian government has more credibility than the sadness Thailand musters politically.

"Even the Syrian government has more credibility than the sadness Thailand musters politically."

I don't care how partisan you are this statement is probably one of the most stupid statements I have seen on this forum.

I am not aware of the present government using a policy of attacking it's own people with helicopter gunships and artillery and then blaming it on terrorists.

No. But the 'man far away ' did get his mate over in Cambodia to stir up a bit to discredit the Dens. Thais have died because of that AND it's still causing problems because of face. No one wants to lose it by pulling the troops back unless they have to.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the Government's policies and the one implemented first was

"1.9 Reduce Corporate Income Tax to 23% in 2012 and to 20% in 2013 so as to generate competitiveness of the private sector, to broaden the tax base and to support entry to the ASEAN Community in 2015."

It has been said that this was also to help companies being faces with increased minimum wages. Is there any information on what companies profited from the reduced CIT rate and how that relates to the wage structure of their workforce?

"It has been said that this was also to help companies being faces with increased minimum wages. Is there any information on what companies profited from the reduced CIT rate and how that relates to the wage structure of their workforce?"

I've not seen any and this is one of the reasons I don't think the tax rate method was a good (ie: targeted) method to compensate for the increase in the minimum wage.

"I have not seen and therefor I don't think' wink.png

There's a BangkokPundit article, but with many quotes from BP I don't think I can quote it here. It has suggestions the big companies liked the cut in CIT, but SME are wondering how they will be compensated. Mind you the CIT reduction seems indeed aimed in just 'helping companies against foreign influences'.

More to the point would be this from 2012-04-26. Whether or not it is perceived by SME's as 'major boost' I don't know.

"Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Thailand are receiving a major boost, as the Cabinet has approved measures to assist them."

http://thailand.prd....php?id=6258&a=2

Phrased a little bit differently here

"Cabinet mulls measures for SMEs today"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Cabinet-mulls-measures-for-SMEs-today-30180563.html

BTW found this interesting piece

"Smaller firms account for about 78 percent of total employment and contribute 37 percent to GDP, according to the Office of Small and Medium Enterprises Promotion."

Edited by rubl

Also, because "stupid" is a two-syllable word, the rules of English state that the superlative for this adjective should be "stupidest". Thanks, though, for having a wildly emotional reaction to my post.

Actually you are wrong. Rules of English have many exceptions so the point you make is somewhat incorrect. Technically, the correct superlative would be 'most stupid' and the comparative form would be 'more stupid'.

Do the following seem correct to you? Candid-est, lucid-est, rancid-est. Correct forms would of course be 'most lucid', more candid' and 'most rancid'. Just because the word 'stupidest' is common usage doesn't necessarily make it correct, despite the fact that the word appears in modern dictionaries.

Anyway, your reference to comparing Thai and Syrian governments is somewhat bizarre. Hard for the Syrian regime to say anything other about the Ambassador to Iraq, seeing as how the guy appeared on all of the Al Jazeera news stations within hours of entering Qatar.

Thanks for the correction. The original post is being taken far, far to seriously, but that's the name of the game for many on these TV forums. I remember a Thai police officer delivering a statement to the press recently after a violent attack on a tourist in Phuket. He said Phuket is still a very safe destination for foreign tourists. I don't think Phuket has been safe for years (it was recently ranked the #2 destination in the world based on the frequency of tourists killed in car accidents, after Honduras). If the Syrian government admitted to something, patently obvious or not, I do think there is some merit to making the point that the Thai government regularly attempts to misconstrue facts even when the truth is plainly visible. That's all I was trying to do. In fact, the comparison should have been more for humorous effect. Nevertheless, it spurred a rather comical effort to slam and micro-analyze the concept of my post.

The government doesn't dictate the business model.

By trying to dictate to all businesses an economically unrealistic wage structure for some, that is exactly what they are trying to do.

And as you say, those businesses will just go away, increasing unemployment in the process and placing an unnecessary burden on family members that are still employed, but of course they were only thinking about the ordinary people weren't they.

It's about labor laws, not business models.

So, they are not linked in any way then? ..... if the business model can't work within the labour laws it will not even get started, if the labour laws change to a degree were a business that has already started can no longer function, it closes.

And I was really after your thoughts on this part.

And as you say, those businesses will just go away, increasing unemployment in the process and placing an unnecessary burden on family members that are still employed, but of course they were only thinking about the ordinary people weren't they.

I have a small yard that takes 30 minutes to cut the grass..Can Not find a Thai that will cut it for under 1200 Baht using my mower....No thanks--I will do it myself....

And why is it like this???? Because of stupid farangs. A silly one once paid this and right away the thais declared it for a normal "wage". The last stupid farang thing I've seen in my neighbourhood was 3 hours house cleaning for 1750 Baht. The girl did not ask for this.... SHE'S GOT IT FREE WILL with the words "Is this enough?". Some more questions....???

Edited by KhunMichael

I have a small yard that takes 30 minutes to cut the grass..Can Not find a Thai that will cut it for under 1200 Baht using my mower....No thanks--I will do it myself....

And why is it like this???? Because of stupid farangs. A silly one once paid this and right away the thais declared it for a normal "wage". The last stupid farang thing I've seen in my neighbourhood was 3 hours house cleaning for 1750 Baht. The girl did not ask for this.... SHE'S GOT IT FREE WILL with the words "Is this enough?". Some more questions....???

Perhaps the extras were worth it eh. smile.png
  • Like 1

How much will they charge if they use their mowercheesy.gifcheesy.gif Edited by ginjag

Well, well, well, surprise me with the negative comments above.

The issue is enforcement. Fine, go enforce it. I commend The Nation : this is by my count article #2 covering the minimum wage from the stand-point of the employee. Fair & balanced coverage given the innumerable articles from the perspective of the Thai Business Lobby whining about the rate hike. Truly a bold move for this conservative mouthpiece.

the Thai Labour Reconciliation Committee (TLRC), which urged the Labour Ministry to review its role and do more to protect workers' rights.

That is a sane call for action. Good idea.

Some day you will realise that impossible things do not happen because you think they should. In the past you have suggested that the red shirts should have been prevented bringing weapons to BKK, that the RTA should have handled armed insurgents without using lethal force, and now that B300/day should be enforced.

Please do us the simple courtesy of supplying a method to achieve any one of these aims.

All of my staff make considerably more than 300 baht per day and we make a handcraft type product and have to compete against suppliers in China, Vietnam and Phils.

Which we can normally beat on price and quality.

Few people and certainly no quality workers, will work for less than 300bt per day and why should they be expected to ??

Wages have been too low, for too long and every body is entitled to a livable wage.

If it forces some companies to be more efficient, so much the better.

What does your reply have to do with my post?

You pay more than B300/day - so what? Do you have a method to enforce others to pay it?

They haven't really thought through it with any plan. The richer they are, the more idiotic they become, the majority of Thai High -so people politicians...

The richer they are, "the eaiser they take things for granted without thinking through them first? And if so, they can always save their sorry face a*****es out with corruption"...

So the minimum wage is now a suggestion rather than a legal requirement.

See, where the problem is, unlike the school tablet program, there is no kickbacks in the 300 baht a day program. "No money in my pocket, no effort on my part."

The result of new minimum wage. over 10 years on the ground and shopping in the same shops

Went to buy some antihistamine tablets and antibiotics

First pharmacy where i always shop, but have not been for a few months, the owner is not there, but have a new staff.

Me: Can i have bactrim please.

Shop: Huh?.....

Me: Bactrim

Shop: Huhhhhh...

Me: Do you have Bactrim?

Shop: Huhhhhhh......

Me: Have Telfast

Shop: Huhhhhh...

Same thing happened in 6 shops, with some variations, in Watson's they told me to look and if i see it, they will sell it to me.

I am sure the owners are getting their money's worth and no doubt productivity has just sky rocketed.

PS.The 2 i needed total cost is 300 baht, so the super motivated staff caused business to lose 1 day salary in less than 1 minute.

@ Phi Phi Don

Not really an English lesson, considering that "stupidest" is considered correct by most modern dictionaries. But thanks for providing other examples of exceptions to a rule. How to you handle "friendly"?

Credibility is not defined as being open, it is a description of state of being as in something that is regarded as credible is something that is worth believing in. I do not believe that the syrian regime is credible in any way state or form, hence my "wildly emotional reaction" to your post which, if you wish for a superlative, is still the most stupid post I have read on this forum.

Nit-picky at best, since openness would be a necessary precursor to establishing credibility. Congratulations on your beliefs. I presented evidence of behaviors I don't see the Thai government doing. Strange? Fine. Stupid? Explain how.

worth believing in

Only if that's how you want to word it. www.dictionary.com: Credible: "capable of being believed"

And yes, your "wildly emotional reaction" was hilarious. As is your reply.

ThaiVisa..... hub of semantics!

The issue is enforcement. Fine, go enforce it. I commend The Nation : this is by my count article #2 covering the minimum wage from the stand-point of the employee. Fair & balanced coverage given the innumerable articles from the perspective of the Thai Business Lobby whining about the rate hike. Truly a bold move for this conservative mouthpiece.

the Thai Labour Reconciliation Committee (TLRC), which urged the Labour Ministry to review its role and do more to protect workers' rights.

But ain't gonna happen

All of my staff make considerably more than 300 baht per day and we make a handcraft type product and have to compete against suppliers in China, Vietnam and Phils.

Few people and certainly no quality workers, will work for less than 300bt per day and why should they be expected to ??

Wages have been too low, for too long and every body is entitled to a livable wage.

It is nice to see a business owner with a business exposed to labor costs making this point.

I agree, and there are many employees in Thailand that are paid more than 300B a day.

Because it is economically viable for those companies to do so.

However, there are also many companies/industries/businesses out there where it is not economically viable.

This election promise should never have been made as no government should be able to dictate business models, but hey, it got the votes in didn't it, the only reason it was made.

The government doesn't dictate the business model.

The minimum wage is to protect against exploitation. That is in the government's domain. Just as are all labor laws - safety, child labor, etc...

Good points. Have you any idea when they are going to do those things.

• Like 1

Thailand is a completely lawless country. The laws are never enforced and no one is EVER genuine about changing the status quo. Paying heed to anything the Thai government says is like taking testimony from an individual with the most pathological case of dishonesty known to man. Even the Syrian government has more credibility than the sadness Thailand musters politically.

"Even the Syrian government has more credibility than the sadness Thailand musters politically."

I don't care how partisan you are this statement is probably one of the most stupid statements I have seen on this forum.

I am not aware of the present government using a policy of attacking it's own people with helicopter gunships and artillery and then blaming it on terrorists.

The Syrian government released yesterday's report of the attack that killed Assad's brother in law. The Western media ate it up. Assad's regime also admitted that the Syrian Ambassador to Iraq had stepped down. I cannot remember a single instance of that type of honesty from the Thai side. Can you? In the last statement I read from the Thai government concerning the violence in the South of Thailand, the official in question recommended that if the people in the south don't like Thailand, they should leave (in the Bangkok Post). This isn't about war-crimes, remember, it's about credibility (i.e. openness and honesty in presenting information).

How am I partisan? What side biases me? And keep in mind, the Syrian regime is not attacking those from its own ethnic group. This is not a simple case of government against populace (a la Tienanmen Square). The Syrian fiasco is an ethnic conflict/civil war scenario.

Also, because "stupid" is a two-syllable word, the rules of English state that the superlative for this adjective should be "stupidest". Thanks, though, for having a wildly emotional reaction to my post.

I have to agree with phiphidon on this one. You have hit a new low in stupidity. Or if you like lack of smarts.

Syria is in a state of rebellion where the army has killed over 20,000 civilians. Many of them just cowering in there homes unarmed.

There has been many people in seats of power turn against the government. And you are all bent out of shape because Assad's brother died in the conflict.

I have absolutely no use for Thaksin and his minions. But compared to Assad he is a saint.

Minions includes clones.

• Like 1

My missus has a degree and responsible hospital job.........but stays on a lousy 8000pm because she was already employed. What happens when her hospital wants another degree person to work in the same section? oh! She gets 15k, I get 8? Oh, so better not hire any more graduates?

BTW my gf has to pay for her own uniforms which designs are compulsorily changed three new sets every two years. All staff have trouble paying this so the dear employer does it and lets them pay back over six months. When I mention "strike" centuries of successful conditioning from above come into play and she laughs.

Cheeryble

To be fair the hospital is very generous with fulfilling it's free healthcare role for employees. A friend's som went to work in the same hospital on computers......was. Working only ten weeks when he rode his mbike into the side of a pickup parked sideways at night. Was in intensive care for ages extended recovery for brain, but never a hint of financial pressure from the hospital thou the bill must have been into seven figures.

Is she in a job that requiresa degree.

What hospital.

My daughter is a nurses and and her husband works in x ray i a hospital in Nonkong Si Tamaraet (or some thing like that) They get vacations paid for by the hospital. The last one they had was a whole bus load of them up here in Chiang Mai and North to Chiang Rai plus I don't know.

I don't know what they are but they sure get some great benefits. Will they continue to get them when the 300 baht a day comes in to effect there. If not will the raise be large enough for them to pay for this them selves.

While I have your attention does any one know what a nurses aid does. Al I know is she had to go to school here in Chiang Mai and it cost me 60,000 baht and the wife 40,000 baht.

The Syrian government released yesterday's report of the attack that killed Assad's brother in law. The Western media ate it up. Assad's regime also admitted that the Syrian Ambassador to Iraq had stepped down. I cannot remember a single instance of that type of honesty from the Thai side. Can you? In the last statement I read from the Thai government concerning the violence in the South of Thailand, the official in question recommended that if the people in the south don't like Thailand, they should leave (in the Bangkok Post). This isn't about war-crimes, remember, it's about credibility (i.e. openness and honesty in presenting information).

How am I partisan? What side biases me? And keep in mind, the Syrian regime is not attacking those from its own ethnic group. This is not a simple case of government against populace (a la Tienanmen Square). The Syrian fiasco is an ethnic conflict/civil war scenario.

I have to agree with phiphidon on this one. You have hit a new low in stupidity. Or if you like lack of smarts.

Syria is in a state of rebellion where the army has killed over 20,000 civilians. Many of them just cowering in there homes unarmed.

There has been many people in seats of power turn against the government. And you are all bent out of shape because Assad's brother died in the conflict.

I have absolutely no use for Thaksin and his minions. But compared to Assad he is a saint.

Minions includes clones.

That doesn't even begin to cover the issues I addressed in my posts. Who do you mean by "you...all"? Do you mean the BBC, which reported the story? I never said a word about Thaksin. Though you did.

You and phiphidon are right though. I am so stupid. So stupid. But you are so smart. How did I not learn from you? How did I learn to think at all, when you mighty divorcee, retiree folks have nearly all day to think through your posts? Yep, I've learned nothing about Thailand.

Some day you will realise that impossible things do not happen because you think they should. In the past you have suggested that the red shirts should have been prevented bringing weapons to BKK, that the RTA should have handled armed insurgents without using lethal force, and now that B300/day should be enforced.

Please do us the simple courtesy of supplying a method to achieve any one of these aims.

Would be interesting to know what hand made product can pay such good wages and compete against other low paying countries. It obviously is some thing you have to ship out of the country. Or are you talking about locally sold where there would be no import or transportation costs. That would obviously give you a edge.

And what does a handcraft type product mean? I see you do not have to compete against Burma.

You are correct If it forces some companies to be more efficient, so much the better.

The big problem with that is it forces them to get foreign workers. As has been stated many times here Thais do not work harder just because you pay them more.

One of the things I have noticed about the Thais is there easy going way of life does not conform to the western materialistic way of life. To many of them a job is not only a way of making a living it is also a social thing. I do not say that as a negative thing it is just the way it is and has been for hundreds of years. They have been happy with it. It is only the westerners who come here who put it down.

It is nice to see a business owner with a business exposed to labor costs making this point.

I agree, and there are many employees in Thailand that are paid more than 300B a day.

However, there are also many companies/industries/businesses out there where it is not economically viable.

This election promise should never have been made as no government should be able to dictate business models, but hey, it got the votes in didn't it, the only reason it was made.

I have no facts but I would bet that the provinces where the300 baht a day were initiated probably had the highest individual average wages in the nation. And they say they failed there.

More will be revealed stay tuned.

The implication of that is that if an increase to a 300B minimum wage must fail, then any increase in the minimum wage in the past must have failed, too. This is clearly not true.

Slightly flawed observation. I agree minimum wages are a good thing however, I don't know of any other countries that hiked up the minimum with such a huge increase...........in some cases by 150%?

I may be wrong however.

It would seem that not raising it too much too fast was he reason for doing a 2 step increase. That increase was around 40%, not 150%. I have not memorized the numbers regarding what the final, maximum increase for Thailand will be once the 300B/day minimum wage comes into effect everywhere in January.

As Philw noted, for a lot of businesses and industries, the increase is irrelevant. The post from Rubl points out that the "burden" (love that wording) of the minimum wage is lessened due to productivity increases. In this case, if many companies are already in a position similar to Philw's, then the minimum wage increase could be viewed as catching up.

In any case, 300B / day is peanuts. I find it hard to believe any company's claim that this will put them out of business. It is not that companies won't go out of business, nor is it the case that the companies won't blame the minimum wage. I am certain that will happen.

And there you go with your superior attitude.

300 baht a day is peanuts.

probably over half of Thailand live on less than what you consider peanuts.

I have no facts but I would bet that the provinces where the300 baht a day were initiated probably had the highest individual average wages in the nation. And they say they failed there.

I think that is pretty much guaranteed.

More will be revealed stay tuned.

Very good point.

By trying to dictate to all businesses an economically unrealistic wage structure for some, that is exactly what they are trying to do.

Well they weren't the only ones thinking about the ordinary people as you sarcastically put it. I mean the Teflon Don himself, abhisit would never have proposed such a high minimum wage in one hit as a populist vote grabber, would he, oh wait a minute

Labor Min: Minimum wage rise to 300 THB pending PM’s clarification

BANGKOK, 28 February 2011 (NNT) – The Ministry of Labor is taking a wait-and-see approach to the policy to raise the minimum wage to 300 THB per day as mentioned by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Labor Minister Chalermchai Sri-on chose to reserve his comment on the daily minimum wage increase to 300 THB, insisting that details of the policy would need to come from Prime Minister Abhisit since it was unveiled to the public by him.

The Minister said he was only waiting for the Prime Minister to hand down the policy, after which he would convene with relevant officials to discuss its implementation. He is also looking forward to hearing Mr Abhisit’s motives behind the wage adjustment.

http://thainews.prd....id=255402280016

Do you intend to raise your workers wages by the same percentage as the minimum wage rise in your province to maintain wage relativity?

Or are you happy to maintain your smug attitude and profit margin while your workers allowance above minimum for their skill and dedication is eroded by this legislation?

Bt300 minimum wage a failure,

I am glad its official now, I though I was imagining it.

It has failed. Let remove it.

I have been paying too much for too long.

Before the raise, some of the labor only get 120 baht/day (that's a lot is their currencies) working 12 hours shift, in a hot ill-ventilated shoe factory.

Why must you pay more, gluing sole is no rocket science, not it need a pHD.

Edited by chotthee

To Ozmick,

" ..............Or are you happy to maintain your smug attitude and profit margin while your workers allowance above minimum for their skill and dedication is eroded by this legislation? "

An emphatic YES.

Yours in smugness...........

Well they weren't the only ones thinking about the ordinary people as you sarcastically put it. I mean the Teflon Don himself, abhisit would never have proposed such a high minimum wage in one hit as a populist vote grabber, would he, oh wait a minute

Labor Min: Minimum wage rise to 300 THB pending PM’s clarification

BANGKOK, 28 February 2011 (NNT) – The Ministry of Labor is taking a wait-and-see approach to the policy to raise the minimum wage to 300 THB per day as mentioned by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Labor Minister Chalermchai Sri-on chose to reserve his comment on the daily minimum wage increase to 300 THB, insisting that details of the policy would need to come from Prime Minister Abhisit since it was unveiled to the public by him.

The Minister said he was only waiting for the Prime Minister to hand down the policy, after which he would convene with relevant officials to discuss its implementation. He is also looking forward to hearing Mr Abhisit’s motives behind the wage adjustment.

http://thainews.prd....id=255402280016

Well now, isn't that an odd news article you posted there, oh, it's from The Public Relations Department i.e a mouthpiece of the current government.

Find me another article from any other news source that states AV made a 300b promise around the time that it states, you won't, as that is the only one.

It states that it was written on the 28th Feb 2011, but it would not surprise me if it was written last week and back dated so that PTP can say "Look, look, he said it first"

Looking deeper reveals this.

This is Google's cache of

http://thaifinancial...-clarification/

. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 15 Jul 2012 16:55:16 GMT. The

current page

could have changed in the meantime.

Learn more

Other publications that were written around Feb 2011 tell a completely different story.

// Bangkok Post link removed as per forum rule 31 //

http://asiancorrespo...ection-chances/

http://english.peopl...63/7302479.html

http://www.bloomberg...-estimates.html

Edited by metisdead

The implication of that is that if an increase to a 300B minimum wage must fail, then any increase in the minimum wage in the past must have failed, too. This is clearly not true.

Slightly flawed observation. I agree minimum wages are a good thing however, I don't know of any other countries that hiked up the minimum with such a huge increase...........in some cases by 150%?

I may be wrong however.

It would seem that not raising it too much too fast was he reason for doing a 2 step increase. That increase was around 40%, not 150%. I have not memorized the numbers regarding what the final, maximum increase for Thailand will be once the 300B/day minimum wage comes into effect everywhere in January.

As Philw noted, for a lot of businesses and industries, the increase is irrelevant. The post from Rubl points out that the "burden" (love that wording) of the minimum wage is lessened due to productivity increases. In this case, if many companies are already in a position similar to Philw's, then the minimum wage increase could be viewed as catching up.

In any case, 300B / day is peanuts. I find it hard to believe any company's claim that this will put them out of business. It is not that companies won't go out of business, nor is it the case that the companies won't blame the minimum wage. I am certain that will happen.

And there you go with your superior attitude.

300 baht a day is peanuts.

probably over half of Thailand live on less than what you consider peanuts.

There you go again with your assumptions about what I think.

300 B a day is peanuts for the business. Not for the employee. The average increase in April was 80-85 B - about 2 euros / day. If that is going to put a business out of business, then IMO, the business was dead already.

No, IMO, the evasion of the law, not paying minimum wage, is about greed, not business economics.

• Like 1