Volunteer Police...What Do You Think?

snamos

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Volunteer Police I have known, are Power hungry, and failures in their own Countries

I don't think we have ever met each other? :)

I no longer work as a police volunteer. But I did for about 3 years in Phuket, 1 year in Pattaya and 2 years in Bangkok (where I worked as a Thai translator). Alas, I sport no tattoes nor amulets, and I don't smoke at all.

There are some good volunteers, and clearly there are some bad ones. The blame for allowing the ego-trippers and nutters to carry a police badge lies 100% at the door of the Thai Tourist Police, for failing to perform adequate background checks, and for failing to perform searching, in-person interviews with each applicant.

Simon

• Like 1

The vetting and motivations of the tvp are suspect at best. I don't have a problem with the concept, but at a minimum it should be restricted to demonstrated ex-police or emergency service personal who left their last position in good standing.

It's just to attractive a vehicle for posers and wannabes.

Edited by necronx99
  • Like 2

ahhh must be the rainy season again. all the malcontents are stuck inside for too long and have to find something to whine about. Surely it must be about time for a parking topic too?

Sorry, you're posting a whine about this topic? LOL! And no it has't been raining here that much. Rather sunny and warm.

Back to the topic. I met a Thai Tourist Policeman that helped out a friend and was a great guy. I never knew any foreign volunteers though. I kind of doubt I'd want to. My neighbor (Thai) is a volunteer in Rawai. They have the brown uniforms and the hand on their truck doors. Nice guy as well.

They have the brown uniforms and the hand on their truck doors.

Yes - those are Civil Defence colunteers

Simon

That makes sense, I guess. They are the helping hand of the King, if I understand correctly... Although he does have a police walkie talkie.

Edited by Jimi007

In general voluntary police, normal police, any government officials including PM are public servants. I pay for their salaries and expect them to work for me.

Well, actually voluntary police does not get salary..

If some people donate their time to help out others, that's great thing to do, really. Their motives can vary from doing a good deed, getting ego boost to plain power hike. As far as the people do not abuse their given powers, things are ok. If working as volunteer police is the highlight of one's life, that should be greeted with applaud, not trying to put them down?

In general voluntary police, normal police, any government officials including PM are public servants. I pay for their salaries and expect them to work for me.

Well, actually voluntary police does not get salary..

If some people donate their time to help out others, that's great thing to do, really. Their motives can vary from doing a good deed, getting ego boost to plain power hike. As far as the people do not abuse their given powers, things are ok. If working as volunteer police is the highlight of one's life, that should be greeted with applaud, not trying to put them down?

If they want to be in the spotlight then they can be the subject to criticism, they are not koala bears or a protected species...I notice a lot of comments made about Thai cops. Whats the difference in this thread? As I said before if you pay people to do a job it generally weeds out the undesireables

About 3 years ago i was in pataya, saw a farang police volunteer name of how..d WHAT A PRAT, he was talking with some tourists as if they were dirt, farang lady said please treat people with respect, shut up or i will arrest you, ha what a joke, ego trip or what

If they want to be in the spotlight then they can be the subject to criticism, they are not koala bears or a protected species...I notice a lot of comments made about Thai cops. Whats the difference in this thread? As I said before if you pay people to do a job it generally weeds out the undesireables

Although both have 'police' in their titles, I put the groups to very different categories.

Real police is paid to maintain the law and help people against criminals. This in theory in this country. If a police is abusing his powers, he should be immediately kicked out of the service and charged for his actions. Given the fact that a police has been misusing the trust given to him, the punishment should be double than what is given to a civil. I know this is not happening here.

Voluntary police is not paid, they are using their free time helping tourists in troubles. I think that is pretty good thing. In theory.

As far as I know, they don't have any more power than any of us. They might be better connected to BiB, but that's it.

I have not have many encounters with the voluntary police. I have few times stopped to ask directions, which I do for normal police as well. Have never had an bad experience in this way.

If there is some old chap, who is proudly showing his badge and his uniform.. I might find that slightly hilarious but at the same time I can be happy for him to get the joy the moment. Naturally if someone is trying to abuse his powers, I let them to know what I feel about it.

Although both have 'police' in their titles, I put the groups to very different categories.

Real police is paid to maintain the law and help people against criminals. This in theory in this country. If a police is abusing his powers, he should be immediately kicked out of the service and charged for his actions. Given the fact that a police has been misusing the trust given to him, the punishment should be double than what is given to a civil. I know this is not happening here.

Voluntary police is not paid, they are using their free time helping tourists in troubles. I think that is pretty good thing. In theory.

As far as I know, they don't have any more power than any of us. They might be better connected to BiB, but that's it.

I have not have many encounters with the voluntary police. I have few times stopped to ask directions, which I do for normal police as well. Have never had an bad experience in this way.

If there is some old chap, who is proudly showing his badge and his uniform.. I might find that slightly hilarious but at the same time I can be happy for him to get the joy the moment. Naturally if someone is trying to abuse his powers, I let them to know what I feel about it.

You are only somewhat correct.

The volunteer police is there to assist police in doing their job. Part of the job is assisting tourists due to language barrier.

However, considering that VP (most of them) do not speak any Thai, it defeats the whole purpose.

They are not connected to BIB, especially the foreigners, if anything they are a laughing stock.

As already mentioned on similar threads, if they were told to loose the "police" from the title and the uniform, you may find vast majority will also loose the interest in doing the "job"

The volunteer police is there to assist police in doing their job. Part of the job is assisting tourists due to language barrier.

However, considering that VP (most of them) do not speak any Thai, it defeats the whole purpose.

They are not connected to BIB, especially the foreigners, if anything they are a laughing stock.

As already mentioned on similar threads, if they were told to loose the "police" from the title and the uniform, you may find vast majority will also loose the interest in doing the "job"

Compared to the tourists they have better knowledge of local environment and procedures. Therefore they still are able to help, even if they would not talk Thai.

If someone is willing to donate their time helping others, even if that gives an ego boost for them.. why not? Somebody is adding value to the society, which should be a good thing. I guess I just fail to comprehend what is wrong with that.

Compared to the tourists they have better knowledge of local environment and procedures. Therefore they still are able to help, even if they would not talk Thai.

If someone is willing to donate their time helping others, even if that gives an ego boost for them.. why not? Somebody is adding value to the society, which should be a good thing. I guess I just fail to comprehend what is wrong with that.

Really? how would they be able to help a tourist when they do not speak Thai?

You mean they can tell them where the nearest McDonalds isthumbsup.gif

Yes. They can do that one.

Put yourself in the role of an tourist. You are on your 2 week vacation on East-Timor. You rent an motorbike and the unavoidable happens.. you crash your motorbike to another. You and the local lady who was riding the other motorbike both get hurt.. not a lot, but some.

It's time to go to the police station to get things solved out. In this case, would like if there would be an voluntary tourist police, who has went trough tens of similar cases, or would you like to go through the process and the paperwork by yourself?

Yes. They can do that one.

Put yourself in the role of an tourist. You are on your 2 week vacation on East-Timor. You rent an motorbike and the unavoidable happens.. you crash your motorbike to another. You and the local lady who was riding the other motorbike both get hurt.. not a lot, but some.

It's time to go to the police station to get things solved out. In this case, would like if there would be an voluntary tourist police, who has went trough tens of similar cases, or would you like to go through the process and the paperwork by yourself?

LOL, great example, In this case last thing i will do is trust someone who does not even speak the native language to negotiate for me.

First thing i would do is find someone who does speak native and my language to help me sort it out.

What makes you think that VP has been through any cases? and what makes you think he knows the law?

LOL, great example, In this case last thing i will do is trust someone who does not even speak the native language to negotiate for me.

First thing i would do is find someone who does speak native and my language to help me sort it out.

What makes you think that VP has been through any cases? and what makes you think he knows the law?

You just might not have the luxury to find an person who speaks perfectly your local language and the language of the country on an environment you basically know nothing about.

But if you fail to see benefits of having this kind of service around, then It's not my task to teach it to you. Maybe some others do valuate the service it can help them or their countryman.

You just might not have the luxury to find an person who speaks perfectly your local language and the language of the country on an environment you basically know nothing about.

But if you fail to see benefits of having this kind of service around, then It's not my task to teach it to you. Maybe some others do valuate the service it can help them or their countryman.

so you are in the habit of trusting a total stranger and would prefer to let someone who just like you does not speak any language do the negotiating for you?

Yes i do fail to see the benefit of VP service, especially the ones who look like they are 9 months pregnant, do not speak a word of Thai and have no law enforcement or security background.

so you are in the habit of trusting a total stranger and would prefer to let someone who just like you does not speak any language do the negotiating for you?

Yes i do fail to see the benefit of VP service, especially the ones who look like they are 9 months pregnant, do not speak a word of Thai and have no law enforcement or security background.

Well, yes. I do listen to the advices and am willing to learn from others. Heck I even ask people to help me when I don't understand something.

To listen and getting advice / help is naturally not the same as blindly trust someone.

I think I'm done with this discussion now. Thank you for sharing your point of view. I did learn from that as well.

Don't think my mrs would have a very good opinion of yourself as she does my communicating, as a TPV to help farangs. Works realy well AND is appreciated by those with a problem. You might be smug now but there may come a time when you wish you had transam's phone number. laugh.png

Don't think my mrs would have a very good opinion of yourself as she does my communicating, as a TPV to help farangs. Works realy well AND is appreciated by those with a problem. You might be smug now but there may come a time when you wish you had transam's phone number. laugh.png

I already wish for that number, could be very useful on those lonely cold nightstongue.png

Well, yes. I do listen to the advices and am willing to learn from others. Heck I even ask people to help me when I don't understand something.

To listen and getting advice / help is naturally not the same as blindly trust someone.

I think I'm done with this discussion now. Thank you for sharing your point of view. I did learn from that as well.

Before you run away to do your homework, why do not you tell me some examples when VP helped someone, just a few be great.

Perhaps times when they helped people with a Jet ski problem, or an accident.

Looking forward to seeing the positive reports

• Like 1

I bet that lots of people who seem to have an irrational hatred for these volunteers have never met more than one or two. I bet that lots have never even met one!

Its obvious to me that if you lined them all up you would have a multitude of different personalities and motivations for joining. I'm sure that lots would be the power hungry knobs that have been so comprehensively described but I bet there would be lots that aren't, just like every other walk of life. To judge them collectively is ridiculous IMO and seems like just a cheap shot to make people feel better about themselves.

Good post. A post with thought. a post from a member who might need a friend to assist in his/her future. thumbsup.gif .

Before you run away to do your homework, why do not you tell me some examples when VP helped someone, just a few be great.

OK, I'll bite, based on my own experiences:

Patong - many (MANY) times I and other TPVs helped tourists who were completely drunk out of their minds get back to their hotel rooms without getting a) mugged or cool.png run over

Patong - several times - helping both tourists and bar-staff when they were taken ill (heart attack, fainting, accident etc)

Phuket and Bangkok Int Hospital - translating for tourists or friends after accidents or illness

Phuket Hospital - 'Minding' tourists high on drugs who have been refused boarding at the airport

Phuket - Counselling severely bipolar tourist who was running stark naked through the streets!

Airport - Helping many tourists after the Yellow shirts closed the airport

Airport - Helping tourists and survivors after the One Two Go air crash

Airport - Helping tourists after the recent mini-tsunami and airport closure

Phang-Nga - Providing games and entertainment for school kids in the poorer Muslim communities

Yawn... the list goes on and on (and on) - And that is just a few of the incidents that I've been personally involved with

But - I do agree with comments that the standard and behaviour of some police volunteers is totally unacceptable, and the application process should have weeded these people out. The fact that they ARE volunteers demonstrates to me that the foreign police volunteer system is not working.

Were I still in Phuket - and were I placed in charge of the volunteers, I would throw a number of them out immediately..... (no names!)

Simon

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2

OK, I'll bite, based on my own experiences:

Patong - many (MANY) times I and other TPVs helped tourists who were completely drunk out of their minds get back to their hotel rooms without getting a) mugged or cool.png run over

Patong - several times - helping both tourists and bar-staff when they were taken ill (heart attack, fainting, accident etc)

Phuket and Bangkok Int Hospital - translating for tourists or friends after accidents or illness

Phuket Hospital - 'Minding' tourists high on drugs who have been refused boarding at the airport

Phuket - Counselling severely bipolar tourist who was running stark naked through the streets!

Airport - Helping many tourists after the Yellow shirts closed the airport

Airport - Helping tourists and survivors after the One Two Go air crash

Airport - Helping tourists after the recent mini-tsunami and airport closure

Phang-Nga - Providing games and entertainment for school kids in the poorer Muslim communities

Yawn... the list goes on and on (and on) - And that is just a few of the incidents that I've been personally involved with

But - I do agree with comments that the standard and behaviour of some police volunteers is totally unacceptable, and the application process should have weeded these people out. The fact that they ARE volunteers demonstrates to me that the foreign police volunteer system is not working.

Were I still in Phuket - and were I placed in charge of the volunteers, I would throw a number of them out immediately..... (no names!)

Simon

I have to agree with you on most of your points.

Yes they do also many good things but unfortunately they can't do much in general as they don't have a any power ( luckily ) and the only thing they really can do is helping drunks and people with questions.

Also due to a missing screening process ( at the start of the program ) a lot of undesirables ended up at TPV. and as anybody knows it takes a long time to build up a good reputation but it only takes a few minutes to destroy it.

I don't think anything of them. Have not seen them and would not recognise any of them..

I must say though I hate an attitude like this "Good post. A post with thought. a post from a member who might need a friend to assist in his/her future.". In other words: be nice to me here on TV and I'll help you if you need a police volunteer, don't be nice to me and I won't help you.

Edit: just realised I have seen this foreigner hanging around at Chalong policestation. Just ignored him, so can't really say anything about him as well.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1