Thai Criminal Record Check

Murgatroyd

It looks very much as though I'm going to have to return to Thailand to obtain a Royal Thai Police Criminal Record Check.

What I need to know is exactly what is the procedure for obtaining this document.

Where do I apply?

What documentation do I need to take with me?

How long does it take?

Do I personally have to collect it when it's done or could my wife collect it and post it to me in the Uk, (I may have to return home before it's ready), or is it posted to my address in Thailand?

How much does it cost?

Any information that anyone could give me would be very welcome, I need to do this ASAP.

Read this. Seems you need an official reason for it, so bring some documentation!

2. For Non-Thai Citizen:

For non-Thai passport holders please contact the Royal Thai Police in Thailand at the address and telephone number below to receive information to process your application. The consulate cannot lodge in the application on the applicant's behalf.  

A photocopy of valid passport

A photocopy of Thai Visa

Document(s) stating that the applicant is used to work or reside in Thailand

A photocopy of Thai working permit (if available)

A power of attorney (If authorized someone to submit on your behalf)

Letter explain the purpose of request from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (or Government of Canada)

Two passport photos

Two sets of original fingerprint issued by the RCMP or local police together with the official seal and signature of the official taking the fingerprint

The service is free of charge, an applicant is needed to provide a self return envelop to send back to the applicant

Note: If criminal record is found or all required documents are not submitted, then, certificate may take longer than 7 business days.

The Police Clearance Service Center

Building 24, Royal Thai Police

Rama 1, Pathumwan

Bangkok,  Thailand  10330

http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=114

This morning I sorted out the Royal Thai Police Criminal record check, and it was a whole lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

My main worry was the issue of certifying the photocopies of my Passport... I had read some horror stories of this process having to be done at my embassy, or at a Lawyer's office and costing anything between 1500 and 2500 Baht per page!

As it turned out all I had to supply were the photocopies from the shop behind the complex, and the helpful "Information" chap stamped them with a rubber stamp and asked me to sign them... Job done at zero expense!

The other thing I was worried about was the theoretical requirement for a document that proved my Thai residency... Where or what that should be I didn't know, but I envisaged a paper chase that took in the Immigration office and the local Amphur at the very least.

It turned out that my fears were groundless and no such document was asked for... Huge sigh of relief!

Nor did they want the two passport sized photos that I brought along. After the fingerprinting part of the process I was directed to a rear room where my photo was taken digitally and the appropriate paperwork added to it.

The only messy part of the process was getting fingerprinted... it's always messy, and I'll be getting the ink off over the next few days...

Then it was just a matter of the young lady checking that all the paperwork was in order and her handing me a receipt which told me that it would be ready on the 14th of August. I have to leave before then but I was able to authorise my wife to pick it up for me. She will send this to me by recorded delivery... Phew, Sorted!